Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Picture breakup on live and recordings

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 710
I've read other recent threads, but thought this was sufficiently different to start a new one. In the past month, I've started noticing artefacts and sound drop-outs on both recordings and live. Looking at previous threads, I've checked the following:

- the tuners are showing 100 quality and signal on both tuners.
- The toppy has been restarted in the past couple of days when our hot water tank sprang a leak and fused the sockets Rolling Eyes
- The disk has never had less than 50Gb free and wasn't showing any problems when I ran fscheck a month ago - is it worth rerunning that?

Is there anything else I can check?

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
andyfras
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3423
Is the problem in the same place each time you play back a recording?

It would be useful to run FSCheck again.

Might you have signals from more than one transmitter?

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
I've not noticed a pattern, and it seems to happen pretty randomly.

I'll run fscheck again and post the results in that thread this afternoon if I can

I can access more than one transmitter, but I've restricted my search to Emley Moor, unless they've moved one to the other nearby one in the past few months. I haven't checked recently on a rescan, just reused the existing MUXes.

Apologies in advance - I didn't think this through. We're off on a long weekend tomorrow morning, and we won't be back till Sunday night, so I won't be checking this during the holiday.

alan_m
Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3461
/?
YorkshireJumbo wrote:
I've read other recent threads, but thought this was sufficiently different to start a new one. In the past month, I've started noticing artefacts and sound drop-outs on both recordings and live. Looking at previous threads, I've checked the following:

- the tuners are showing 100 quality and signal on both tuners.
- The toppy has been restarted in the past couple of days when our hot water tank sprang a leak and fused the sockets Rolling Eyes
- The disk has never had less than 50Gb free and wasn't showing any problems when I ran fscheck a month ago - is it worth rerunning that?

Is there anything else I can check?

Local electrical interference getting ito the flyleads? Phone or computers moved closer to your TV or Toppy?

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
/?

Local electrical interference getting ito the flyleads? Phone or computers moved closer to your TV or Toppy?

Hadn't thought of that - I have moved to a "BT Wholehome" system, using one of the 3 nodes to provide an ethernet connection to the YouView box. I might move that around and see if it has any effect. I've had an old laptop next to the box for several years now, just using it to backup the toppy, so nothing should have changed there.

One other thing I've not tried yet is to disassemble the aerial cables and amplifier and reseat them as they've not been touched for quite a while...

andyfras
Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
It would also be worth running Signal Monitor, which would show if one tuner (or the crappy link cable) is less than perfect.

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
As I mentioned earlier, I'm not going to be around now till Monday, but I'll check in first thing and respond to any ideas or suggestions. In the meantime, I've run some checks and these are below.

My fscheck report is here

My SignalMonitor log is straight 100%s for a couple of times round

My MyInfo log is:
Code:
MyInfo B5.6 Logging settings etc on: 3/1/2018 at 11:53

Waiting for other TAPs to load and settle

Ini file found
Starting to record data 113 seconds from boot

System ID: 456
TV Output: Type = Auto, Video = RGB, RF Channel = 36
Reported firmware version: TF-NPT 5.13.65T dated Oct 10 2009
Base firmware version: 5.13.65

Running TAPS:
   Slot 0: PcControl B1.4  :  Toppy control from PC
   Slot 1: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6  :  Provides faster, simpler and more robust EIT data collection, except when playing games
   Slot 2: EPG2MEI v0.96  :  Dumps the EPG data to disk as EPG.mei, with changes since last time in EPG_diff.mei
   Slot 3: Extend v1.7  :  Uses the Accurate Recording info to extend recordings (safely)
   Slot 4: Font Manager 1.0d  :  Manage TAP Fonts
   Slot 5 not used
   Slot 6: MHEG On/Off A3  :  MHEG control
   Slot 7: MyInfo B5.6  :  Displays & records Toppy basic info
   Slot 8: MyStuff 6.6  :  UI Replacement
   Slot 9: PruneEPG 1.0  :  Program to remove unnecessary entries from the EIT table
   Slot 10: SecCache (UK) v0.4  :  Optimal (UK) section caching to reduce the load on the Toppy
   Slot 11: TF5000 Display v1.53  :  Controls the LED display
   Slot 12: UK OZ Surfer v0.11d  :  Surf the other channels.
   Slots 13 - 15 not used

Found Auto Start TAP which is no longer running: fsSave 1.1 (Filename: fsSave.tap)

Installed patch list:-  Ab Bf Bq Ce Ck Cp Cw Cy De Ec Ee Ef Ep Er Es F Fm Gm H He Kt Mh Nf Ot P Pc R Ra Re Rh Rp Rs S Sd Sl Sr St T2 Td Te Tf Tp Ts U Uu Vr Xp Xw Xl
Firmware MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009  modified thus: -Sy+U+Uu
Patch Decode Links - Will explain your patches:
   MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 :- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=AbBfBqCeCkCpCwCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsFFmGmHHeKtMhNfOtPPcRRaReRhRpRsSSdSlSrStT2TdTeTfTpTsUUuVrXpXwXl
   Missing patches:- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=Sy
   Extra patches:- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=UUu

Time Mode set to Auto
Time Offset set to Auto

Found 59 TV channels and 0 Radio channels
No channel problems detected
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 44 are: 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 14, 15, 24, 28, 33,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 47 are: 1, 2, 9, 201, 202, 231, 232, 250, 601,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 48 are: 18, 19, 25, 31, 39, 47, 71, 73, 79, 88,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 51 are: 10, 16, 20, 21, 26, 27, 30, 34, 37, 44, 54, 58, 59, 61, 66, 70, 80, 83, 92,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 52 are: 11, 12, 17, 29, 32, 38, 46, 48, 68, 69, 72,

Interactive Off
Timeshift On

Memory - Free: 10 MB,  Available: 9 MB
Disk - Total: 932 GB, Free: 89 GB

434 recordings (517 GB) + 53 deleted (64 GB) in 36 folders (+ 13 empty folders)

Time since boot: 0:0:2 (d:h:m)

Suggested signature for Toppy forum - copy following lines to signature block at http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile
[size=10][b]TF5800[/b], TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+UUu
 [b]TAPs:[/b] PcControl B1.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.6; PruneEPG 1.0; SecCache (UK) v0.4; TF5000 Display v1.53; UK OZ Surfer v0.11d; (fsSave 1.1);
Sig generated by [url=http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/MyInfo/MyInfo.zip]MyInfo[/url] on 3/1/18[/size]

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
The breakups are still happening, but not getting any worse.

I'm not sure if this is related, but I wonder if it might be: my toppy occasionally stops responding to remote keypresses. For 20-30 minutes it starts misbehaving, stopping responding for minutes at a time when the front panel display doesn't update. I know it does this when a new recording is starting, but this is just in general use. Then when it does start updating, pressing a button on the remote may not show the corresponding light on the panel for many minutes. Or if it does show the light, it may then immediately stop responding again for several minutes. I've tried my Harmony remote as well with the same results. This behaviour went on for a while then suddenly all was fine again. It made the toppy unusable unless you were lucky enough to be watching what you wanted!

I'm still working on trying to find a trigger for all this. Once it did start responding again when I turned off my YouView box, but I wonder if that one time was coincidence...

andyfras
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I have replaced several IR receiver chips on Toppy front panels. When they fail, the Toppy behaves in the way you describe (e.g. slow to respond, or not responding at all), it also affects the front panel buttons in the same way. It wouldn't have any bearing on the signal break-up though.

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:13 am Reply with quote
Thanks for that. Having described my problems from 2 nights ago, yesterday it performed faultlessly Rolling Eyes I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it. I've got another toppy I can transfer to if this misbehaves...

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The unresponsiveness seems to be increasing in frequency. With no apparent trigger, the front display panel stops updating and the Toppy is unresponsive to remote keypresses for a few minutes. There is no light on the panel in response to keypresses. The channel or recording continue to play as normal. It is similar to what happens when a recording stops or starts. When the front panel starts updating again, pressing a key can trigger an action, but it can also trigger the same unresponsiveness for another few minutes.

Do these still sound like the symptoms of a failing IR receiver? If so, I have a couple of other toppies. Is there anything an inquisitive amateur can do to fix it, or is it something internal that's failed? Is it easier to transfer a working receiver from one toppy into another, or to transfer the disk from one to the other? And is there any way to repair the dodgy one?

Thanks in advance

ccs
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2448
Much easier just to swap the disc (and adapter) to another toppy.

Assuming the firmware on the new box is what you're currently using, it'll be up and running in no time.

Just make sure you unplug from the main and leave for 5 minutes before removing the lid.

Take a photo of the "working" toppy innards to remind you where the leads go.

There'll be instructions on here somewhere of what exactly you need to do, but it's fairly obvious once the lids are removed.

ccsx
andyfras
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Another option is to swap front panels - 4 screws and one plug.

I can supply a replacement IR receiver. It has 3 pins so not too difficult to replace (requires soldering of course).

ccs
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2448
I found the front panel very awkward on a 5810, but I was trying to remove it while the toppy was still pretty much in situ, and difficult to manoeuvre.

ccsx
andyfras
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
To remove 5810 front panel, undo 3 screws on the top, it is then held by the clips where the screws were removed, it can then be hinged forward from the top. There are 2 plugs on the 5810 FP.

While the FP is removed, it's a good opportunity to replace the 2032 battery on the back of the PCB.