Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  AV & other discussions  ~  Smart TVs and .rec files.

Page 1 of 1
chris_s
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 403
Now that the aged (but good) CRT TV is showing definite signs of imminent failure it is time to revisit the stressful process of choosing a new TV.

The choice will be made primarily on picture quality as I always play TV through a sound system, but one more aspect of modern TVs has raised its ugly head: that of its ?Smart? capabilities.

The current generation of Smart TVs have all adopted an Operating System:-

Android for SONY, Philips & Sharp (SONY [not sure about others] with ?YouView?)
Firefox for Panasonic (with ?Freeview Play?)
Tizen for Samsung (with all of the usual individual catch-ups)
WebOS for LG (usual catch-ups minus ITV, 4OD)

I periodically back up my Toppy to a 2TB drive on my PC (but this could, in future, be on my 2TB NAS), and it would be very nice if I could play .rec files directly on my TV.

I know that .rec files are not even recognised by the SONY native file system on my 1st Generation Smart TV in the bedroom, or by a new one in John Lewis (I took an SD .mpg file and a .rec file on a USB stick an plugged it in: the .mpg played on the native player and the .rec didn?t show up).

I went for the SONY first as I made the assumption that Android would have the most flexibility as far as apps was concerned, and I wondered if one could install an ?Android TV? version of VLC on the TV to play .rec files. Unfortunately, although the TV showed something that had the VLC Traffic Cone on it, it wouldn?t run without an internet connection which they did not have set up ? I suspect it was a ?streamer? rather than a ?player?.

Does anybody in Toppy-Land have experience of playing .rec files on a Smart TV via their home network, not using additional boxes?

TIA, Chris.

PS. On my Android Phone I can play .rec files using VLC and MXPlayer, and on one of the SONY reviews on YouTube I believe that I spotted MXPlayer installed, so that might work too.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
ccs
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2506
I found that this utility (TFRecToTS)

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194344#194344

(very quickly) sorts out the .rec header, creating a .ts file which can be played on openvix.

So maybe other environments as well.

ccsx
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 733
I used REC2MPG which transforms the .ts file to a .mpg file. I used it for a whole set of files, and it seemed to work fine on many basic players for me.

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Darucla
Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1542
In theory, you can add Kodi to an Android system. That will play rec files, or did the last time I tried it. There is always the possibility of running Plex server on your PC or NAS, and getting a TV with the plex app. Even if no plex app is available, plex includes a DLNA server as well, and most tvs will handle that. Plex can transcode, but it will be simpler in the long run to convert to a more durable file format like ts or mpg as already stated.
MikB
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 285 Location: West Midlands
Although the .rec file "didn't show up", that's probably because it's filtering on file types it recognises, e.g. .mpg, .mpeg, .ts, .avi, .mp4 ...

Have you tried renaming the .rec to .mpg and seeing what happens, as a .rec is an MPEG transport stream with some junk at the start -- and many players (software) will handle it fine.

Try it and see.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15
ccs
Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2506
ccs wrote:
I found that this utility (TFRecToTS)

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194344#194344

(very quickly) sorts out the .rec header, creating a .ts file which can be played on openvix.

So maybe other environments as well.
I've been using this again today, and it doesn't seem to work all the time.
Files get converted, but some fail to play on VIX - just a blank screen. I'll investigate further.

ccsx
chris_s
Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 403
Thanks for all the suggestions people. I have also messed about with converting .rec to .mpg and .ts, but would really like to keep the files in their native .rec format so that I can copy them back to the Toppy if it has a major incident.

Update: I took my USB stick with me to Currys/PC World and found a sales assistant with 'SONY' written on his shirt, and he actually knew what he was talking about ..... pause for amazement. We plugged in the USB stick and, as expected, the SD .mpg file played OK, and the .rec file was not seen. We then opened VLC to find that it was not installed. After a lot of messing about getting the TV WiFi connection sorted he installed VLC, which found and opened the .rec file, but could not render it (mostly green screen and a few crude blocks of image). Undeterred, he downloaded and installed MXPlayer, and this did play the .rec file.

Weeks passed, then based partly on the above, and a lot of other things, we layed out way more cash than we really should have on a nice shiny SONY Android TV.

Unfortunately, although VLC can sucessfully navigate my network to find the .rec files, the inability to actually play them was as per Currys. MXPlayer, on the other hand, will play .rec files from local storage (e.g. USB stick), but seems not to be able to reach out across a network.

Must see if I can put Kodi on the TV, as suggested by Darucla.

Also I will try to contact VLC to let them know the situation.

Watch this space.

Update: Installed Kodi and it can navigate my network to the folders containing the .rec files, but sees them as empty.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".