Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Who's still using their Toppy?

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
wyatt
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 18 Aug 2006 Posts: 55
Well, last night I gave up on it. However having re-read the HDD replacement threads I gave it another go and managed to drill a big enough hole in my IDE Cable. A bit of trial and error and I've got it working again!

I'm unable to restore my MyStuff Searches for some reason, the TopManager backup I created didn't save. I did copy the files off manually but I think it's corrupt as each time MyStuff starts it crashes. It doesn't do this when using the new search file.

Its saved me a couple of hundred pounds in replacement costs, thanks to everyone who has supported the forum with assistance over the last decade.

?
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jan 2007 Posts: 121 Location: Essex
Long time no site visit buy The Toppy is still my number 1 form of watching live TV. However it has just developed a fault over the last few weeks Sad where it refuses to load the MyStuff interface & the Toppy interface doesn't fully function as it should too Sad (Just the EPG works)

Think it may be capacitors.
Phil C
Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Hi I am still using my 5800 as the main access to programmes. I did upgrade the capacitors a couple of years ago but it is still working fine. The only problem I am having is that I have just purchased a new Samsung 4K tv. It doesn't have a scart socket only component input. I cut the end off the scart cable and fitted phono sockets to the component wires in the cable and it all works ok, with the toppys output set to YUV. There is one problem when switching on the toppy, the picture looks to be zoomed in and only a quarter of the picture is visible. I have to go to settings/AV output/TV Type and right click. The picture then re sizes and all is ok. Because the picture was zoomed in I cant see what the settings are in the AV Output menu. Can any one help?
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jan 2007 Posts: 121 Location: Essex
Phil C wrote:
There is one problem when switching on the toppy, the picture looks to be zoomed in and only a quarter of the picture is visible. I have to go to settings/AV output/TV Type and right click. The picture then re sizes and all is ok. Because the picture was zoomed in I cant see what the settings are in the AV Output menu. Can any one help?

There are 3 settings for TV Type.
1. Multi
2. PAL
3. NTSC

Mine is set to Multi. For information when I set mine to NTSC it reverts to 4:3 mode. I think the default is Multi.

TV Aspect ratio has two settings.
1. 16:9
2. 4:3

If it's in 16:9 mode the setting 4:3 Display format below will be greyed out.
Bizman
Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
per-Sony-fied wrote:
Think it may be capacitors.
If they have not all been done, almost certainly, Have them changed before something more expensive and inconvenient occurs over Christmas. Andyfras supplies a kit of suitable replacements.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
andyfras
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3476
Phil C wrote:
I have just purchased a new Samsung 4K tv. It doesn't have a scart socket only component input.

For anyone else in this situation, I can provide a suitable lead.

See: http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=270329#270329

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Phil C
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Hi an update to my previous post. The problem may not be my Toppy but the TV. When the picture is oversize if I change the input on the TV from component to tv and back to component the picture is correctly resized. Still not sure what the problem is but could it have something to do with the mysterious SCART pin 8.
Cheers.
andyfras
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3476
Pin 8 is not connected when using an RCA connection.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
caned_monkey
Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Oct 2009 Posts: 107 Location: London
I still have a 5800 which is used every day as my primary TV watching tool. So does my mum.

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; ScreenCapture with OSD V2.10b; StopExit v1.01; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.4; TAP Commander 1.34; UK OZ Surfer v0.11d; EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 19/7/13
?
cawright1
Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Oct 2008 Posts: 145
I've got three Toppys around the house, but now only one in use. After another posting on this very thread I bought a Humax, youview DTRT2100 off of ebay. 500GB disk, dual tuner. Nice little box. Series record is great, as is catch up and the excellent search facility. The EPG though is just standard rubbish,nowhere near the clean easy to read view of the Toppy. Also missing Toppy's folders and a couple of useful taps, but all told, I'm pretty happy with this new box, especially for the price (70.00). These boxes are simple to set up, have excellent reviews and a decent internet support system, so if you are looking for the next step after your Toppy, I'd say this is a good way to go.

?
underquark
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1793
Whist crawling in the eaves of the house to fix a rogue wireless access point I came across another Toppy, still boxed, that I'd stashed away for a rainy day. Two of my Toppies are still going strong whilst other cheapo set-top boxes have died within a couple of years of purchase.

Incidentally, cheapo set-top boxes are, themselves, becoming more difficult to find as most TVs now have Freeview +/- Freesat built in. The stand-alone receiving/recording device is doomed. The next phase for recording is likely to be the hacking of TV firmware, I think, to provide a better interface to the already-available (but basic) recording-to-USB found on many TVs. Many people might be scared to play about with their TV's firmware but bear in mind that the price of a TV now is similar to that of a Toppy a couple of years ago and forum members seem to have had no qualms about changing firmware on those venerable devices.

A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
birdman
Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:37 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1765 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
underquark wrote:
The next phase for recording is likely to be the hacking of TV firmware, I think, to provide a better interface to the already-available (but basic) recording-to-USB found on many TVs.
TVs tend to be single-tuner - not quite up to the 4 terrestrial HD tuners I have on my stand-alone box... Also I'm not sure about their satellite tuner capabilities.

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
underquark
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1793
OK, I can see the point if you want 4 tuners. For 2 tuners, though, there are TVs appearing that have them built-in and I suspect that's enough for the majority of people.

It will be interesting to see what happens - will there come a point where more of us buy TVs that can record and we shun the extra cost of a stand-alone recording box to the point that it becomes unprofitable to make them? With on-line movies and TV shows and catch-up on many channels will sports fans be the last to record several things at once?

A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
odie
Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Dec 2006 Posts: 101 Location: Coventry, Transmitter: Sutton Coldfield.
Another infrequent forum visitor but well-exercised Toppy user here.

A very happy 5800 owner for 10 years now - and is used for a few hours a day by the whole family. MyStuff does it's best at keeping the original 250GB HD as full as possible, and we watch and delete stuff at almost as quick a rate.

Only issue due to age now is that the remote control buttons have recently worn off so only the numbers & OK are still identifiable - fine for me although my wife is a little less sure of the buttons Smile

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; Goldfish 0.5; TSRCommander 1.1; EPG2MEI v0.96; TF5000 Display v1.52; QuickJump 1.72; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; MyStuff 6.6; UK Subtitle 1.9; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3; (StartCh);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 29/1/15
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 836
We bought a new 40' smart TV recently, finally getting rid of our faithful old 28' CRT. Our viewing habits have changed now that we can benefit from HD. I now record more programmes on the YouView box in HD, or I watch them in HD on catch-up via the in-built players in the TV or YouView. I still use the Toppy/MS for its unparalleled search capabilities, though.

As an aside, I use a SCART cable to connect the Toppy to the TV, but I have an anomalous line at the top left of the screen. I can enlarge the whole picture, but that loses some of the picture. Would it be better to use component to connect it?

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer