Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  TF5800 - HDD dying?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
NeilM
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Mar 2006 Posts: 194
We have two guilty-pleasure shows. We have lunch with Bargain Hunt and our evening meal with Pointless. Lately we've had interference in the form of pixellation and on one occasion, Tim Wonnacott's face momentarily appeared in part of a Pointless picture. Since it still has the original hard-drive, which must be about 10 years old, we suspect the drive is dying. However, not being particularly techie, I'd appreciate either confirmation that could be the case, or info on what else it might be.

FYI - It had all the capacitors replaced by Andyfras three years ago Smile
andyfras
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3452
When I repaired your Toppy, I almost certainly installed a Utilities folder (if it wasn't already there). In this folder, you'll find HDDInfo, or even better FSCheck. These will provide information about the disk. Look out for reallocated sectors or pending sectors. FSCheck will provide an Acronis score in %, it should be 100%.

The fault that you describe sounds more like a signal problem. I had something similar recently, which just needed the aerial plugs to be rotated slightly to restore a proper connection, and all was well again. There is a slight chance that one tuner is failing, this can be checked by running Signal Monitor (also in the Utilities folder).

To access the Utilities folder, select Archive on the remote (twice if you're running MyStuff). Now press the (<<) button which should take you to Program Files. Step down to Utilities and select. There are several useful diagnostic files in there.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
juwlz
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
If you ARE running MyStuff, how you get to the native archive may vary according to your MyStuff and Toppy settings. Here are more possibilities: Accessing the native archive and running TAPs manually

Julie

P.S. Adding a forum signature using the info supplied by the MyInfo TAP will help others to help you more effectively.

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
juwlz
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:34 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
If you have duplicate channels, as suggested in your other current thread, those could be causing problems too.

See also Toppy Memory for more good reasons for good management of your channels.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
MikB
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 286 Location: West Midlands
andyfras wrote:
The fault that you describe sounds more like a signal problem.

Do you mean signal problem, leading to disk corruption, on the way to the total-disk-wipe?

Which, for the OP, is a thing that can easily happen on a Topfield given ropey signals ...

Tim Wonnacott's face (of Bargain Hunt) should not be part of Pointless, unless it was Celebrity Pointless Smile

This means someone has been mixing the data streams up ...

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15
andyfras
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
MikB wrote:
Tim Wonnacott's face (of Bargain Hunt) should not be part of Pointless, unless it was Celebrity Pointless Smile

This means someone has been mixing the data streams up ...

The Toppy can sometimes hold a single frame in memory. This can appear unexpectedly when skipping ads etc., which is what I suspect is happening here.

NeilM
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
First of all, apologies for not getting back sooner - real life and all that Smile

Re-reading my original post, I realise I did not make clear that we are on playback when the rogue pictures appear, obviously from an earlier recording (show is not being broadcast at that time). It's only recently started playing up and since we were on either playback or chaseplay I assumed it was the drive, but have now double-checked that all aerial plugs are securely in the sockets. We have a good signal from Oxford, line of sight from the mast.

To cover other questions:
Here is the sig for this Toppy -
Quote:
BlackTF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs In Load Order: QuickJump 1.72; Font Manager 1.0d; MyStuff 6.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4

We don't have duplicate channels on the Toppy (so easy to avoid them Smile ) - I'm simply aware of the Hannington ones since the Mac's EyeTV lists everything that's available (I then had to go through them when we moved here and untick the ones we didn't want).
NeilM
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Revisiting this thread? thanks to advice here, we've done a bit of experimenting today.

We watched 12 minutes of Bargain Hunt as it was being broadcast and it was picture perfect. We then ran it back via chase-play and watched again and got the picture break-up, with a drop in sound volume. We went back again and got a duplication of the interference. That time we recognised the rogue picture as someone in a documentary from yesterday.

It's the original 250GB drive; these days it's used mainly for watch-and-wipe. Does that mean we are repeatedly using the same section of the disc? We do have a few "saved" programmes too. We're fairly sure another interference pic today was from a saved documentary about grizzly bears.

We've run HDDInfo (FSCheck is not there) and Signal Monitor, which seems to indicate a healthy state. However, we're adding screenshots for the experts to interpret Smile

-----------------------------
I can't get the screenshots to show here (I'm using Dropbox) so they are now in a zipped folder which should download here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcb487u0qbjz3pf/toppy.zip?dl=0

I've tried it on our Mac and it downloaded and unzipped without problems.

andyfras
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
When on HDDInfo, you need to Switch Tabs (<<) or (>>) to get to the meaningful screen.

NeilM
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
Thanks Andy. We saw the tab but couldn't figure out how to get to it Embarassed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/53faf75x5idtz8h/HDD%20Info2.jpg?dl=0

Hope this provides the info you need. Many thanks for your time.

andyfras
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
That all looks OK apart from the UDMA CRC Error Count of 1504. Geoff would interpret that better than I, but I think that it indicates a possible communication issue between disk and Toppy.

What HDDInfo cannot show is any disk corruption, which FSCheck would. If you have the means to connect your Toppy to a PC, I suggest that you use Top Manager to install FSCheck.

NeilM
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Andy - we can run WinXP on the MacBook, so we'll have to set some time aside. Will get back to you when we've sorted that. Probably won't be today, though.

Thanks again - enjoy the rest of your day Smile

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4384
The disk looks ok but would be nice to see the full fsCheck output.

You can download fsCheck using the TopManager Tools| Install Files| fsCheck option. Alternatively, you could just download it from my site http://www.geeceebee.co.uk/.
Please post the output in the "dedicated" fsCheck Reports thread (rather than this one).
TM provides a "Display| fsCheck log " option which you can cut and post (otherwise, just transfer the file manually, open it and cut and paste).

Re the interference, please ensure that your settings are set to PAL- other settings can cause interference.
Should you use TopManager and it's PCControl tap, the PCControl | System Settings should show any unusual/incorrect settings in red.

Are you really still running MS 6.3 (I doubt it but just checking).
TopManager Tools| Update Forum profile can be used to easily change your forum signature so that it reflects what is on your toppy.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
NeilM
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Well spotted, Geoff. The last few years have been a bit hectic with retirements and moving and doing work on the new house. When we connect up for fsCheck I'll make sure we update our info panel.

It's been working fine for the two+ years since we moved here; display is a Samsung 24in pre-digital flat-screen analogue TV, scart connection.

Edit to add: Sig updated Smile

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4384
NeilM's fsCheck Report

The disk looks ok although has had a minor corruption at some point (but then, most disks have).

Thanks for updating the signature. I recommend that you install my PruneEPG tap.

Please use your remote to check that you have the correct video settings
1) Menu
2) System Settings
3) A/V Output
4) TV Type = PAL
5) Video Output =RGB (this is usual - depend on how you are cabled)
6) RF Output =PAL I

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18