Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Who's still using their Toppy?

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
goodolpete
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jan 2008 Posts: 211
Used daily, altho some searches are a bit iffy.
Does anyone else, when searching for location location location on a
Tuesday on channel 4 with start time and end time specified, *still*
get 14 results? I now set a one-time timer every week.

?
Earl_Hickey
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2007 Posts: 211
goodolpete wrote:

I occasionally get a PowerSearch turn into a Flag-Only TextSearch?

BobD
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4218
I still use my Toppy as the main recording device. I have a YouView box too, which I only use when I need to set a recording away from home or want an HD recording. SWMBO also has a Toppy as her only recording device.

goodolpete wrote:
To be honest, I can't remember how this feature is supposed to work, but it may be that it is finding and setting timers for repeat broadcasts outside that time window of things that originally occurred within that time window. Does that tally with what you are seeing, or are the extra timers for totally different series/episodes?

Earl_Hickey wrote:
I occasionally get a PowerSearch turn into a Flag-Only TextSearch?
I think that only happens (or is only supposed to happen) when the PS would otherwise set a ridiculously large number of record timers. It switches it to Flag only so that this one PS doesn't hog every possible timer.

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
juwlz
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
goodolpete wrote:
That's expected behaviour for a Power Search. If you want to restrict it, you have to use a Text Search.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
juwlz
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I'm still using my Toppies. Or at least, I will be again once I get back from holiday and persuade my laptop to install the appropriate drivers etc. so I can install EmptySettings Smile

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
msteggalls
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Apr 2005 Posts: 721 Location: Ipswich, UK
Although I now use a Humax for all recordings in HD, the Toppy is still in daily use for some SD recording, or when there are more than two programs on at the same time I want to record.

Plus of course for the search functionally, especially handy for warning on when program is returning for a new series.

Martyn

Updated 26Oct14
jorly
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Feb 2009 Posts: 107
use it for hours every day best gadget I have ever owned and would like to take the oportunity to thank all the people who made it possible even for an idiot like me mighty cheers

?
gomezz
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3997 Location: Buckingham
Sadly the caps gave up the ghost last year but even then had only been using it to record my favourite road/exercise music radio programme to rip to my PMP, a function now served by my Humax Foxsat HDR running the custom firmware from Raydon.

The box is in the cupboard awaiting to have its caps replaced when I can get round to it or more likely to donate to AndyFras for his sterling conservation project.

MikB
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 290 Location: West Midlands
So the forum may be quiet on activity, but it seems a lot of Toppies are still out there working away Smile

Two TF5800s here, both in use every day, and one spare in case of failure. They are the only recording/timeshifting devices in the house, unless you count get_iplayer Smile

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15
munk
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 May 2006 Posts: 66
I generally visit the forum once a week on a Friday just to see what's going on and read all the new posts (usually about 8-12 threads/week with new posts).

I have one 5800 which is used for probably an average of recording 3-4hrs per day* and I always switch straight to the Toppy when turning on the TV (rather than use the newer UHD TV and it's tuning capabilities!). The Toppy with MyStuff is unsurpassed in terms of it's capabilities and functionality (as I think we all know!) and is the only goto TV device I have.

Occasionally I use smart TV functionality on the TV, but it's relatively rare to be honest and I have an HTPC in my bedroom that I use just for watching catchup primarily but I would say about 90% of my viewing is done via the Toppy and I couldn't do without it.

The Toppy is largely untouched after purchase in 2006 (I think?) - I did buy replacement caps for it from andy about 2yrs ago but didn't get around to replacing them (I've monitored the voltages and they seem reasonably sane still) and it has run relatively fault free. The issues I've had with it have been due to failing HDD (which was replaced successfully) and also disk corruption due to the toppy trying to record from a bad signal (where you get the dreaded 'format disk' popup and have to format / reinstall, whereafter it works fine again until the next bout of bad signal!).

* - although throughout the Olympics the Toppy was a gold medallist in recording up to 10-12hrs of TV / day!!! Worked flawlessly! Also during that period I was happy to stumble across something completely new to me in Mystuff - being able to prioritise searches, didn't know that was possible (but amusingly in hindsight had always wished that MyStuff could do it!)

Thanks to everyone that does contribute more vocally with help/advice and all the MyStuff team for their efforts.

gyles
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Nov 2006 Posts: 68
I still use mine all the time. I've got a reserve one in case it dies.

I run UKtimers, so I rarely have to programme it, and have it networked, so I can extract programmes. It's ideal, and I dread the day it ceases to be viable...

It is also very reliable, thanks to the patches from here. Smile

It's a shame we'll not get an HD one. Sad
mp_york
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Jul 2007 Posts: 34
I still have two (5800s) in daily use as the main TV recording and viewing machines. I have two spares just in case. My parents and parents-in-law, also both have Toppys (my recommendation) in daily use. I do have a Panasonic Freeview HD recorder, but it's rarely used, as it's not worth the effort of using the poor GUI.

I agree with other posts above, the Toppy has been one of the best devices I've ever owned.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Mar 2009 Posts: 35
Still using my TF5800... visit on and off to see what people have replaced theirs with and to keep tabs on MyStuff - my conclusion is, so far, that 5800+MyStuff is hard to beat - though when SD is turned off I will have to jump to something... but what????

?
mark4russell
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
We still have one that keeps on going no matter how much Netflix and Amazon try to push it out
PaulH
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Nov 2005 Posts: 275 Location: SW London
Toppy 5800 from the year 2005, original electronics, firmware from the clever people at forums such as this, and a version of MyStuff that sometimes tells me that it's out of date, which I ignore. All still working like a champ.