Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  AV & other discussions  ~  Off Topic - E-Bikes

Page 1 of 1
Darucla
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1542
I have spent most of this century studying film, and obsessively collecting them from TV (thanks to MyStuff) and on disc. As I am getting older, I realize that this may be fun, but I am losing fitness rapidly. So I have decided to spend as much money as necessary to get me exercising out doors.

To this end, after extensive research, I have just bought a Kalkhoff electric bike, the Pro-Connect 8S. This may sound like cheating, but it is still a gadget, therefore I feel warrants mention here and still requires physical effort on my part. I am contemplating a 60 mile round trip on Sunday (to go on a 6 mile walk with like-minded people), and I feel it may be possible with the electric bike, but not with my normal lightweight pedal bike. And when I get home, I shall sink into a chair to watch the Grand Prix.

I shall follow this up in a few months, for the benefit of anyone else who is looking for an enjoyable way to stay fit.
alan_m
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3475
Darucla wrote:

And when I get home, I shall sink into a chair to watch the Grand Prix.

What makes you think you will be able to sit on your backside after 60 miles in the saddle. Buy yourself an inflatable rubber ring before its too late.

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
alan_m wrote:
What makes you think you will be able to sit on your backside after 60 miles in the saddle. Buy yourself an inflatable rubber ring before its too late.
As an avid cyclist for most of my life saddle sores usually come from incorrect underwear or an unsuitable (too wide) saddle. In my time I have ridden 700 miles in one week, 247 miles in 12-hours and 14,000-odd in a year.
At 15mph, 60 miles works out at 4 hours. Are you sure the battery will last that long?

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
Darucla
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I have often ridden over 50 miles in a day, just not so much lately. The battery is pretty big, 17aH giving 612 wH, which should do 60 miles fairly easily, especially with some non-powered stretches. Most people reviewing the bike have confirmed this IRL.

The whole point of this is that it won't make me think about the hills before I set off. I hope.
gomezz
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3982 Location: Buckingham
[quote="alan_m"]
Darucla wrote:
What makes you think you will be able to sit on your backside after 60 miles in the saddle
The most I have ever done on a bike in a day is around 750 miles. Only the last 50 miles or so was a bit bum-numbing.

TopTapper
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 225
Darucla wrote:
The whole point of this is that it won't make me think about the hills before I set off. I hope.

If it's *really* steep you may need to practice reversing. Wink

Personally, I prefer walking; the 630mile South West Coast Path is my favourite - the ascent is said to be equivalent to 3.9 Everest climbs but you hardly notice when it's spread over six weeks. Wink
Darucla
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Are you including motor bikes there Gomezz? ISTR that the UK record for miles cycled in one day is about 550 (normal bike:, I think records for tandems and recliners are higher)
underquark
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1788
I would imagine that gomez means powered riding - even then, 750 miles is impressive. I used to cycle 120 or so miles in a day and sore bum wasn't a problem but standing up after sitting down was difficult. A lot of your weight is counterbalanced by your legs extending whilst you cycle and you put most weight on your perineum when you're just coasting along on the flat.

A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
underquark
Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1788
underquark wrote:
I would imagine that gomez means powered riding - even then, 750 miles is impressive. I sometimes cycled 120 or so miles in a day and sore bum wasn't a problem but standing up after sitting down was difficult. A lot of your weight is counterbalanced by your legs extending whilst you cycle and you put most weight on your perineum when you're just coasting along on the flat.

A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
Darucla
Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Just to follow up on this bike. Apart from the evident build quality, it has turned out to be a very good purchase as I have cycled every day since getting it. Cycling has always seemed to me a good way to discover the local area, as it gets me places that walking would not, and the e-bike allows me to extend my local area massively. I have discovered various woodland trails that I frankly never knew existed, and have a new 10 mile route along the Yare Valley and the UEA broad that I can do regularly if I have a spare hour.

I didn't need to give up on gadgets either. Apart from the Impulse System and the LCD on the bike, I have a phone mounted using GPS to record my routes via a tracking app, and also have a GoPro Hero camera mounted on the handlebars to record the rides.

As I ride, I find my fitness increasing thus reducing the needed power boost. 60 miles is quite easily attainable, which considering I am technically disabled, I think is quite impressive. I look forward to cycling the North Norfolk coast throughout the warmer weather.

Highly recommended.
Darucla
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
Still going strong, although not as much fun in the wet weather. Only had one minor quibble, with the chain pulling forward and slacking off under braking (due to the single rear sprocket and the amount of power going through it). I managed to fix this for a few pounds with a couple of chain tensioners.

Thoroughly recommended still.
juwlz
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Sounds like you made a good choice there!

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Bizman
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
Having been an avid cyclist for most of my life I was forced to give up 2 years ago due to ill health. Now that I have recovered to some degree I have a number of options.
1: trade-in my current two bikes for one with a lower cross-bar or
2: Get an electric bike like my neighbour has, or
3: Accept that at my age I should stick with the car.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
Darucla
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
@Bizman I can really recommend the e-bike as the best option. I am a grumpy old man, and have the papers to prove it. I am also plagued with various ailments. But going out into the countryside on my e-bike is one of the greatest pleasures I've experienced in later life. My asthma is massively improved. Blood sugar levels are way down.

The only problem I have is fear of losing it to theft. So I tend to use an old beat up bike if I am going to the cinema in the evening, when I won't be able to keep an eye on it. I tried looking on the internet for the best locks, but what you find is a thriving lock-pick/break community, and it turns out not to be comforting in any way. (probably an Abloy 362 padlock 150 -200 with a massive Squire chain of similar price will keep the bike safe-ish, but whether you'll be able to ride it with the extra weight is the question).