Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Toppy lost its O/S?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
C Nile
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I started this topic in Antares woes in the computer connections section and was advised it should be here.
On Monday whilst watching a recorded programme the toppy got to the end of it and promptly re-booted with the old VF&F on the screen. After this had finished it bit, I went into archive to delete the prog, only to find that my stuff 6.5 had not clocked in and there was only the native toppy EPG available. The 5810 was turned off to reboot, but I got a dialogue box stating that recording was in progress, and was I sure I wanted too, but I checked the timer section and no programme was due to be recorded at that time, but hay I turned it off anyway.
Upon power on, the unit would not let me record anything anyway. As I was unable to do anything but watch and change channels, I decided to connect the unit to my PC to check if my stuff was still there, and this is why I went to the connections section originally.
Antares loads fine as a stand alone prog, but my PVR is not connected it says, also Top Manager seems unable to locate my PVR, it says no connections detected, besides using 2 different leads and 3 ports on the PC.
Assistance please

?
andyfras
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
When you replaced the capacitors, did you also replace the front panel clock battery? Note: this only applies to the 5810.

I suspect that the disk is corrupted (it will be greyed out in the menu).

Antares/Altair/TopManager won't communicate with the Toppy if the disk is not found.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
C Nile
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I did not change the clock battery, and when you say greyed out in the menu, do you mean the Format hard disk, cos this is out, all the rest under installation menu are bold

?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4416
andyfras wrote:
I suspect that the disk is corrupted (it will be greyed out in the menu).
Is the disk normally greyed out if corrupted? - this would preclude one reformatting the drive in the toppy
Isn't it more likely that the disk has failed?

@C Nile
Assuming you replaced all the capacitors with one of andy's kits, I suggest you check their voltages.
Also check that the internal disk cables are properly connected - they might have worked loose with thermal expansion/contraction

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
andyfras
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
C Nile wrote:
... when you say greyed out in the menu, do you mean the Format hard disk, cos this is out, all the rest under installation menu are bold

Yes. The disk is faulty or corrupted. It may be recoverable using TopfHDRW or by sending it to Geoff Bacon (he has a better recovery system).

The clock battery may have had an effect on the corruption, as the 5810 forgets its clock, then tries to record all the things it's missed at the same time. To replace it, remove the front panel (3 screws, 3 clips, 1 connector); remove the PCB from the panel (3 screws) then unclip the battery and replace it with a 2032 coin cell.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks andy - I didn't realize that the menu item would be greyed out if the disk was corrupted.

@ C Nile
I can recover the data on your disk if the data is important to (assuming the drive is functioning!). If the data is not important, you could reformat it and reload taps etc. As the menu item is greyed out, you probably have to attach the disk to a pc and use TopfHDRW to reformat it. Hopefully, this would allow the toppy to detect the disk and you could then reformat it properly in the toppy (TopfHDRW's reformat is reputed to be "suspect")

PM me if you want me to recover the data.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
andyfras
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
I didn't realize that the menu item would be greyed out if the disk was corrupted.

It depends how corrupted it is. If its FAT is unreadable, the Toppy won't see the disk and it will be greyed out.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
@andyfras
Thanks for increasing my understanding

Geoff

C Nile
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Well thanks to Geoff for checking out my defunct drive and to Andy for recommendations regarding a new one and supplying the sata/ide convertor, but now it still don't work. After installing the new drive, it was formatted as instructed, and I took it upstairs to my PC and promptly installed My Stuff 6.5 using the installer package I used on the previous drive. All went well according to the screen instructions and when it finished, it was connected to my Panasonic, but nothing works, no statement regarding the installation of My Stuff appears on screen.
I cannot change channels, or volume levels, and it will not turn off, this only happens with unplugging. My Stuff does not load itself, even after waiting some minutes. I cant even get into the toppy native menu in order to re-format the drive and start again, and I don't wish to install My Stuff again, cos I don't know if "overwriting" will cause more problems.
Any help will be appreciated

?
andyfras
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
Try holding down the 0 button while booting. This will prevent any TAPs from loading - there may be a corrupt file.

C Nile
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks Andy, but still no joy, button held whilst plugging in, and then came VF & F, but no change after that.

?
C Nile
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
So if I cant get to the native Toppy menu in order to re-format the drive, how can I do it. By the way , the remote appears to work fine cos I can see a reaction on the Toppy display whichever button I press.

?
andyfras
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
I that case, you'll need to remove the disk from the Toppy, connect it to a PC running TopfHDRW and format it there. Then reformat it once it's back in the Toppy.

When you say "I took it upstairs to my PC and promptly installed My Stuff 6.5 using the installer package I used on the previous drive", what do you mean by that?

Did you use the MS Installer here:

http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/cgi/Downloads.cgi?dl=1

C Nile
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Thanks Andy, but before you came back to me, I loaded Antares to my PC desktop, connected the Toppy, and found loaded onto the toppy, three files namely Programme files, Data files, and MP3 files. Using Antares I deleted them all from my new PVR hard disk and then took the unit and connected it to my TV. I then re-formatted the disk in the Toppy and back came all the working functions. Having no access to channel manager of course, I set about reducing the number of channels. It seems to work fine in native toppy mode now and records etc.
I have just downloaded the My Stuff installer from the link in your reply and will try again, and let you know if any further problems arise

?
C Nile
Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
Today is a good day.
I downloaded the installer from Andy's link yesterday, and then onto the toppy via my PC, and then re-connected it to my TV, and even though the first item on the screen said "ini patch not found" ( I didnt catch the rest of this page in the display as it was too fast ), the rest of the installation went faultlessly and we am up and running with a "bigger" Toppy.
Many thanks to Andy and Geoff for their excellent help. My first and faulty installation of MS 6.6 was downloaded from Bob D's site, and upon looking at the contents of the installer file, everything in there is identical in name and size, so "what happened"?

?