Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Lost all my data!

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4357
Just reread your posts and it says that you tried to install MyStuff using TopfHDRW.

The kit I emailed you assumes that you are updating over USB (just like the MyStuff installer) rather than with the disk directly connected to the pc.

This means that, if you haven't previously connected your toppy to your windows pc that you will also need to download the z4t program to create the device driver.

While you are at it, you should also download my TopManager program as it has lots of features that should be of use and it also makes it easier for me to give detailed instructions.

Please specify your windows operating system and whether or not you have previously successfully transferred files between this pc and the toppy.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Oct 2009 Posts: 150
Thanks for the info, everyone. Following AndyFras's advice, I will make sure the brown wire is at the back, nearest the fuse. Smile

Geoff Bacon wrote:
if you haven't previously connected your toppy to your windows pc that you will also need to download the z4t program to create the device driver.

While you are at it, you should also download my TopManager program as it has lots of features that should be of use and it also makes it easier for me to give detailed instructions.

Please specify your windows operating system and whether or not you have previously successfully transferred files between this pc and the toppy.

Geoff

Thanks again for the advice, Geoff. I'll make sure I download your TopManager program. As for the driver, my PC is Windows 7 (64 bit), but I am going to have a go at installing the device driver myself, using the 64-bit compatible dll found on this page.

Sorry to be such a nuisance to everyone! I appreciate the help. Smile
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Update: I still can't connect the Toppy to my PC which is running Windows 7 64-bit. I downloaded this DLL file and copied it to a bunch of places, including c:windows/system32/drivers and c:windows/system32, but whenever I plug in the Toppy, Windows says "installing" and then fails. In Antares, there is no connection.
ccs
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2565
Grand Dizzy wrote:
Update: I still can't connect the Toppy to my PC which is running Windows 7 64-bit. I downloaded this DLL file and copied it to a bunch of places, including c:windows/system32/drivers and c:windows/system32, but whenever I plug in the Toppy, Windows says "installing" and then fails. In Antares, there is no connection.

From the web page you mentioned...

Quote:
(If you just want to run Antares, you can ignore this section, and refer instead to Download and Installation above. Antares doesn't need Aldarin's tfdll.dll to run.)

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Don't try installing the DLL, just run z4t

Note: Connect up the toppy but don't power it up. Run z4t and power up the toppy when it tells you to.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Hey, it worked! Smile Smile Smile

Not only is MyStuff running perfectly now, but thanks to Geoff's expertise I got back all my recordings, all my searches and all my MyStuff settings.! The only thing left for me to set up again was to re-organise the channels (which I always enjoy doing).

I am extremely grateful to everyone here. My sincerest thanks to Geoff, CCS, and Andy (once again)! God bless you folks! Smile Hopefully I won't need to make any further nuisance of myself? and I will certainly avoid plugging my Toppy into weak signals in future.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
Congratulations on finally managing it - not easy without an internet connection at home.

Don't forget that you should only do the channel clean up using the ChannelOrganiser tap or the TopManager PcControl| Channel Management screen - any other method is liable to lead to issues and involve extra work on your next rescan.

Suggest you post your MyInfo log when you next visit the library.

Geoff

Grand Dizzy
Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Update:

Hi guys. Well thanks to Geoff and Andy it's all working fine now. Many thanks to everyone once again! Smile I love the Toppy + MyStuff, it is such a great product.

Just one thing though? the unit still seems very slow compared to how fast it was a few years ago when I first got it. Like, if I go to the EPG and tell it to record a programme, it might stop responding for about 30+ seconds while it sets the recording, during which time I can't do anything. Same thing doing other things in other menus: it's quite normal for the unit to just freeze for about 10-20 seconds when I tell it to do something, and in my memory the Toppy has always been quite responsive.

Any ideas if there's a problem/what it might be? It is a brand new install of MyStuff.

By the way, I would love to post a MyInfo log but have no idea how to do that and (embarrassingly) I couldn't even find out how to do it by searching the forum. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
To post a MyInfo Log

1) install/run TopManager
2) Connection| Settings - create a USB connection (most likely)
2a) Connection| Open

Assuming you still don't have an internet connection:-
3) Open a windows Explorer window from the Start menu
4) TM Connection| Browse
5) Double click on Logs
6) Using the mouse, select the MyInfo Log.txt file and, keeping the left mouse button down, drag it over the Windows Explorer button showing on the task bar (usually at bottom of screen). When the Windows Explorer window appears, keep drag the mouse/file over it and release the button.
7) Copy this file to a pc connected to the internet, open the file and
7a) CtrlA (select all), CtrlC (copy), add to this thread and CtrlV to paste

Note: It would be much easier if you had internet at home!

MyStuff option T1 can be set to Extreme to improve loading of the archive - but I'm not sure that it improves setting a recording. Should you make changes to the archive outside MS, remember to press 0 in the archive to get it to reload the changes.

Geoff

juwlz
Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Grand Dizzy wrote:
Just one thing though? the unit still seems very slow compared to how fast it was a few years ago when I first got it. Like, if I go to the EPG and tell it to record a programme, it might stop responding for about 30+ seconds while it sets the recording, during which time I can't do anything. Same thing doing other things in other menus: it's quite normal for the unit to just freeze for about 10-20 seconds when I tell it to do something, and in my memory the Toppy has always been quite responsive.

Firstly, switch off Interactive (Red Button) Services in the main settings menu (if you have it switched on). That can make a big difference. (And there's a TAP to automatically switch them back on if you really need them - you don't to view the Red Button channel(s) - just include it/them in your EPG or type the channel number.)

After that, everything's cumulative. The more
- recordings
- searches
- timers
- channels
you have, the slower it'll be.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
juwlz
Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
BTW, click on Help in my signature - although TopManager can automate a lot of that for you Smile

Grand Dizzy
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks both of you. Smile I'll do a MyInfo Log asap then, thank you. You are quite right Geoff: I still don't have Internet at home. I was supposed to have it by now but things went a bit wrong. Smile

Julie, thanks, I'll check those things. Perhaps it simply is that I now have a huge hard drive with loads of stuff on. Does anyone know which has the biggest impact on performance: number of recordings, number of searches, number of channels? My instincts tell me that it might be the number of searches, as that is something which is always being checked.

Oh, I also wondered about file fragmentation. Those drives must get awfully fragmented over the years? I did read on here that fragmentation isn't a problem on the Toppy but my instincts say it surely must be. I'd imagine that eventually everything you record will be divided into hundreds of little chunks spread all across the hard drive?
juwlz
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Grand Dizzy wrote:
I did read on here that fragmentation isn't a problem on the Toppy but my instincts say it surely must be.
No, it really isn't.

juwlz
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Grand Dizzy wrote:
Does anyone know which has the biggest impact on performance: number of recordings, number of searches, number of channels? My instincts tell me that it might be the number of searches, as that is something which is always being checked.
To some extent it'll depend on what you're doing. I have loads of recordings on a 1TB drive, and opening the archive always takes ages (enough time for me to wonder whether the key press even registered - sometimes it doesn't). Opening the timers list is much quicker. Info is pretty much instant.

When setting a timer, the number of searches (and other timers will be relevant, because MS is checking whether the new timer makes a difference to any others already set (will it have to adjust padding, move a timer to avoid a clash, etc?)

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Setting T1 to extreme will make the archive responsive (although, if you have a large number of recordings, this will cause long MyStuff startups as it checks each recording.

Geoff