Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Antares and Windows 10

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 May 2011 Posts: 211
Hi,

I've been using Antares for a few years now without a hint of a problem.

That's with OS Win.7, 64bit... I've been trying for a couple of hours now to get it to work with Win. 10. (Still 64.bit) No Joy... It starts, then a pause and 'Anatres has stopped working'.

I've checked that there's nothing running that might interfere but can't see any candidates.
I've ran my anti-virus and two anti-spyware utilities...

Might it be that it doesn't like Win.10 ?

Poppa.

alan_m
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3489
Try setting the compatibility mode to Win7 for the antares executable.

http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
Try setting the compatibility mode to Win7 for the antares executable.

http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the reply... I don't know why I didn't think of that. (It was late at night... That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it !)

However, That didn't work, in fact, the program stopped earlier than it previously had.
I tried Win.7, Vista and XP+Sp1&2, I tried running it as administrator... No joy.
I ran the 'Compatibility Test' which didn't find an answer.

Poppa.

fhjones
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Feb 2009 Posts: 160
I don't think that it is Windows 10 that Antares doesn't like. I have been using Antares with Windows 10, both 32 and 64 bit, without any problems.

What I did notice was that when I first tried to use Antares with Win10, it couldn't find the Toppy.

With the Toppy turned on I ran z4t and re-booted the computer. Then I ran Antares and it worked as it should. I copied some programmes from our Toppy because it had one of its turns and MyStuff wouldn't run properly.

?
Darucla
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1543
In order to run Z4T, you may need to disable device driver signing in Windows 10. This requires you to reboot the PC in a different mode. Search for "startup settings" from the search icon.
fhjones
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Darucla wrote:
In order to run Z4T, you may need to disable device driver signing in Windows 10.

I didn't need to do that. There was the odd warning message of the type Do you want to allow ~ ?, but other than that z4t ran and did its stuff.

?
Darucla
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
In theory, nothing should install unsigned drivers on Win 10, or 8.1 without you first going through the disabling thing. Although it seems to work for some and not for others. I had to switch it off, which caused me great hassle, as it reboots the PC and that lead to the rogue update kb3081424 trying to install, which blew the whole thing.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-do-i-disable-driver-signature-enforcement-win/a53ec7ca-bdd3-4f39-a3af-3bd92336d248

I wonder what the real difference is for enabled/disabled systems? I upgraded from 8.1, and have no real oddities in my PC. It may be something to do PCs from Windows 8 onwards having different ways of saving the s/n of the OS. If yours was updated from Windows 7, that might give some correlation.
fhjones
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Darucla wrote:

I wonder what the real difference is for enabled/disabled systems?

I have been wondering about that as well.

The computer is an upgrade from Win 7, so that could explain why I didn't have to turn off digital signing, but I don't know. I think that I have attached Toppies to computers running every version of Windows since Vista, but I have never had to turn off digital signing.

Mind you, the Win 8.1 computer was an upgrade from 8, so that might be a factor supporting your theory.

Just as an aside, I decided to postpone upgrading to Win 10 until I had time to create an installation DVD, as I wanted to do a clean install. I left the computer on thinking that I was going back to it, but I then had to go out of the house. When I got back the thing has upgraded itself to Win 10! not a big deal as most things seem to work OK, but irritating nevertheless.

?
Darucla
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I think it might be to do with the previous version. When I first had Windows 10 installed on the 29 July release, it didn't automatically activate (MS faulty servers, although their support wasn't aware of that for days, and they happily told me that I needed the Reg number from the PC manufacturer). I went looking for the registration number, which wasn't on the PC or the box or any documentation. So I used a utility called Produkey, which showed the number on my Lenovo as a Bios OEM Key. It didn't work for a manual installation, but eventually the servers came online and did it automatically.

It still shows that OEM key, and a separate key for the Windows 10 installation. The OEM thing doesn't show on my Windows 7 machine, which was updated from Vista to 7. On that basis, I might predict that that machine will not have driver signing enforced. If i get around to updating it.
fhjones
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Darucla wrote:
I think it might be to do with the previous version.

I am sure that you are right. When/if I get round to do a clean install of Win 10 on this computer, I will let you know if I need to turn off digital signing to install the Toppy USB driver.

?
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
fhjones wrote:
I don't think that it is Windows 10 that Antares doesn't like. I have been using Antares with Windows 10, both 32 and 64 bit, without any problems.

What I did notice was that when I first tried to use Antares with Win10, it couldn't find the Toppy.

With the Toppy turned on I ran z4t and re-booted the computer. Then I ran Antares and it worked as it should. I copied some programmes from our Toppy because it had one of its turns and MyStuff wouldn't run properly.
Darucla wrote:
In order to run Z4T, you may need to disable device driver signing in Windows 10. This requires you to reboot the PC in a different mode. Search for "startup settings" from the search icon.
Thanks Fhjones,
I finally got time off for good behavior from SWMBO...

Ok, I found (Googled) Z4T.exe and ran it, had no apparent problem with 'Signing', The App just ran. (Thanks Darucla)

Made no difference... Re-booted the laptop... Realised you probably meant re-boot Toppy... So both were done...

Tried again, still no joy, exactly the same result... "Antares.exe has stopped working".

Getting a bit worried now, will have to leave Toppy with a very full drive for a while, with a lot scheduled to be recorded.

Poppa.

Darucla
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
If Z4T has worked, Antares should I believe also work. But I don't really use my Topfield much these days. Does Top Manager work?
alan_m
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3489
Darucla wrote:
If Z4T has worked, Antares should I believe also work. But I don't really use my Topfield much these days. Does Top Manager work?

Is it the equivalent of Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 runtime library or Microsoft .NET that is stopping Antares from running?

These were both required on older M$ versions.

And/or is the win 10 an upgrade from a previous 32 bit system? I believe that there were two versions of the above for 32 bit and 64 bit systems. Perhaps the 32 bit version is not working on the new 64 bit win 10 system.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15336

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
The OP says it was an upgrade from Win 7 64 to Win 10 64. In fact the free upgrade only does like for like I think. But the C++ runtime may have become corrupted. It was not necessary for me to re-install it.
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Darucla wrote:
Thanks Darucla,
Yes, Top Manager seems to work, although I've forgotten how to use it or never knew in the first place...
One thing though, once started and running (I used 'Help') it refused to close, because 'There is no default printer' (or something like that). I had to use Task Manager to 'End Task'.
I tried Antares again, just in case something had clicked, but that was clutching at straws... Still no joy.

Poppa.