Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  How to install TAPS via a Mac

Page 1 of 1
Sunflower
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 15 Mar 2008 Posts: 37
I am thinking of installing TAPS for the very first time. I see that there is a ToFi app which I think is the means for doing this on a Mac but I see that it is only for a 5800 toppy. Plus when I click to try to download it, an error page comes up which says "404 Not Found. The resource requested could not be found on this server" and when I try to click on the ToFi home page, it is just a blank page that I reach.

Is there an app available to install TAPS via a Mac which has Yosemite?

ccs
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2588
Have you given up trying to use windows?

ccsx
Sunflower
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
Yes, I have given up trying with a Windows. With Windows it seems that you have to install this, that and the next thing which I would have tried to do till somebody told me that you can't do that with a Windows 7, which is what I have got.

The computer I use is a Mac and it all seems a lot simpler with the Mac as, from what I understand, you just need to install the one thing - ToFi, and that's it. I thought I had no other choice if Windows 7 is no use for installing the other things.

So can TAPS be installed via a Mac with Yosemite on it?

ccs
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
Windows 7 will do everything you need.

ccsx
Sunflower
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Oh OK. That's good then. I'll just have a go at doing it with Windows 7 since the one for the Mac seems to be unavailable anyway.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers.

ccs
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
All you need to do is download and run z4t before you attempt to connect the toppy to your pc.

And then download and run TopManager

or

If you're feeling very brave, download and run Antares which allows you to selectively copy/move files to/from your toppy.

ccsx
Sunflower
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh I thought I needed to download TopfieldTools.exe, TopfieldFirmwareLoader SetUp exe, AND z4t.

So is that wrong? Do I ONLY need to download z4t.exe and TopManager on my Windows 7 and that's all?

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4422
Just z4t and TopManager (as I said in your other thread)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
Sunflower
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh I thought you meant that it was the toppy apps that I had wanted that would not work if I installed them via Windows 7 i.e. the TAPS that I had mentioned that I would like.

It is all very confusing as the main forum information tells you one thing then the people who answer my posts say something completely different. It is very hard to know who to listen to and who to ignore.

I would have thought that the main information under Toppy Firmwares at the left hand side of the forum would have had the correct information but everybody else tells me otherwise - that it should be done in a completely different way. No wonder I am confused.

I don't know whether I'm coming or going and I just feel like giving up and keeping everything the way I've always had it as it is all right how it is, in its native format. I have never done anything whatsoever to my Toppy so, as a complete beginner, it is hard to know what to do when there is such conflicting information.

Anyway, thank you everybody for trying to help me. I think I know what does and doesn't need installing now.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4422
Just doing it will be a lot faster than posting about it!

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
alan_m
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3511
Sunflower wrote:
Oh I thought you meant that it was the toppy apps that I had wanted that would not work if I installed them via Windows 7 i.e. the TAPS that I had mentioned that I would like.

It is all very confusing as the main forum information tells you one thing then the people who answer my posts say something completely different. It is very hard to know who to listen to and who to ignore.

I would have thought that the main information under Toppy Firmwares at the left hand side of the forum would have had the correct information but everybody else tells me otherwise - that it should be done in a completely different way. No wonder I am confused.

I don't know whether I'm coming or going and I just feel like giving up and keeping everything the way I've always had it as it is all right how it is, in its native format. I have never done anything whatsoever to my Toppy so, as a complete beginner, it is hard to know what to do when there is such conflicting information.

Anyway, thank you everybody for trying to help me. I think I know what does and doesn't need installing now.

A lot of the information pages on this site are probably close to a decade old.

Lots of things have changed since then.

5/6 years ago Topfield abandoned its UK customer base after supplying some somewhat buggy updates.

A few customers (mainly R2-D2) produced a 100 or so bug fix or performance enhancing patches for the firmware, many of which were later adopted by the UK distributor of the boxes. R2-D2 is no longer an active member of these forums but most (all) of his patches can be found on this site.

Many customers produced TAPs or programmes for the PC or MAC. Many of these people have since moved on and just let their own web sites die in natural way.

A European web site hosting many TAPs and support programmes closed down and much of what was hosted was lost.

Computer operating systems have changed and the Topfiled tools supplied for older OS were not updated by Topfield. Although they can be made to work on a win7/8 machine there are better ways to achieve something better.

All is not doom and gloom.

There are other programs that can work - but mainly on a PC running Windoze.

Antares and its USB drivers (z4t utility) have replaced the old Topfield Toolset. They work better than the old Topfield offerings supporting both a 32 and 64 bit Windoze operating system.
http://haselgrove.id.au/antares/

Geoff wrote and supplies Topmanger - a program to run on a windows based PC
http://www.geeceebee.co.uk/
This makes maintenance of a Toppy easier and can be used to install individual TAPs.

The firmware containing all the (customer supplied) bug fixes patches is available on this site and can be installed using the (Widows based) installer (Toppy.org.uk Firmware Loader) can be found at:
http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/cgi/Downloads.cgi
(scroll down the page a bit)
This can also automatically install some performance enhancing, reliably improvement and some general purpose debug TAPs

The Mystuff TAP is a replacement GUI and can transform a Toppy from its fairly mundane out-of-the-box performance to something much better. This is still actively being supported. It is available at
http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/cgi/Downloads.cgi
and can be installed at the same time as installing recommended firmwares. Again some support TAPs will be installed at the same time.

Note: Installing a TAP on a Toppy is simply transferring a TAP file (and maybe an associated .ini file) onto the relevant place on the Toppy's hard disk.

Unfortunately support for a MAC was never that extensive and those customers who produced support software to run on a MAC have left the scene and their own web sites have died.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3988 Location: Buckingham
The real killer for the Toppy will come when they switch off the last DVB-T MUX with broadcasts then being on DVB-T2 MUXes (introduced for HD but can also be used for SD).

I am hoping that they keep one legacy DVB-T MUX going with the main channels on it for many years yet.