Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  TF5800 broken after firmware update

Page 1 of 1
surnameforename
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm hoping I can get my Toppy working again. I just got it out of storage after ignoring it for a few years (I was in a rented flat with no freeview signal so it didn't see any use.)

So just to run through how I've spent my Sunday (so far)...

1. Plugged Topfield in and did a channel search

2. Ended up with several BBC1s etc and ITV, Channel 4 etc. all residing at channel 1000+. Apart from this it seems mostly fine (though sometimes the EPG won't come up - too many channels? I do have a few TAPs installed from before)

3. Went on the Toppy.org.uk website (thanksfully you are still here)

4. Read that to fix the 1000 channel problem I should upgrade to the recommeneded firmware.

5. Download and install the Topfield drivers and software to my laptop, connect it to toppy, turn toppy on, find drivers failed to install - D'oh I'm running Windows 7 64bit and it doesn't work with 64 bit Windows

6. Download and install the Topfield rivers and software to my music PC (Windows 7 32bit), plug in toppy via USB and turn on. Initially I get a failure, but then it say the drivers are correctly installed.

7. Run Altair - I can see the toppy as well as the PC filesystems - looks like its working

8. Download the toppy.org.uk firmware installer, run it using the recommeneded firmware. It works for a while, and then fails - arg! The error message is...

Line 70: CopyFile: Recommended_5810.tfd to #:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\
TTW: Copying File(s) C:\Users\gavin\Downloads\ToppyFirmwareLoader\Source\Recommended_5810.tfd to #:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\
TTW: Copying 'Recommended_5810.tfd' to '#:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\Recommended_5810.tfd'
TTW: Error: Failure during copy of 'Recommended_5810.tfd' to '#:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\Recommended_5810.tfd'
Line 72: ResetToppy:
TTW: Rebooting Toppy
TTW: Lost connection to Topfield device.
Toppy has been instructed to reboot
Sorry - not completed satisfactorily
TTW: Closing Toppy connection
TTW: Closing Toppy connection
Displaying text file: C:\Users\gavin\Downloads\ToppyFirmwareLoader\Install Error.txt
Deleting "Source" subdirectory and its contents
Clearing old configuration etc files

8. (cont) toppy has restarted at this point, and is still showing TV.

9. I turn toppy off and on again - now I get C4.56, then Err, the hard drive spins up. However, no picture and no response to maching the remote control buttons. I get the .... when turning it off, which it only ever seems to do when it's not happy.

10. Try turning it off at the mains for a few minutes, then on again - same problem. Try holding '0' as toppy starts - same problem

11. Try using TFDN_USB to install the new firmware on boot. Tried the recommended firmware (two downloads in case one was corrept) and the newer firmware with Series link (just in case). IN all cases it starts OK dn-56, dn-55 but very quicky I get e-15.

Hmm, so I'm a bit stuck. I've tried everything I could find in the forums, and suggestions? Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Gavin
ccs
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2577
Use Antares rather than Altair. It can also be used to do firmware updates. Works with Win7 64bit.

64bit firmware installer also here

One step at a time - try to get the firmware sorted first.

C456 suggests a 5800 - is that correct??

ccsx
Bizman
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
After that, install Channel Organiser to ensure you get all your wanted channels from just one transmitter and be rid of those you don't want. CO will remember your choice. If you receive from a local mux too, ensure it has ample signal strength or it could cause disk corruption.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
alan_m
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3489
surnameforename wrote:

11. Try using TFDN_USB to install the new firmware on boot. Tried the recommended firmware (two downloads in case one was corrept) and the newer firmware with Series link (just in case). IN all cases it starts OK dn-56, dn-55 but very quicky I get e-15.

E-15 = Communication error via USB.
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/toppytools/errors.html

I would recommend no longer using the old tools. Use Antares instead. It works on a 32/64 Windows system and is a Altair look alike but with improved functionality. Antares can also replace TFDN_USB

Antares can be found at
http://haselgrove.id.au/antares/

Using Antares to load new firmware (or Emptysettings - Firmaware is loaded in the same way)
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/EmptySettings/

However, once you have installed Antares try using the Windows installer
(Toppy.org.uk Firmware Loader)
http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/cgi/Downloads.cgi

It's just below the Mystuff Installers

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes it is a TF5800

Following your suggestion I've tried...

A. Installing the WinUSB (Windows 64bit compatible) drivers on my laptop (Windows 7 64 bit)

B. Installed Antares according to the instructions

C. Connected up Toppy as per the Antares instructions...
-- Antares says 'PVR not connected'
-- Trying to install the firmware using Antares is not successful

Toppy still does the following on startup...

- C4.56
- Err
- Blank screen, no reponse to any control except power (can swicth between on and standby states)

As i understand I can only fix this using the Topfield TFDN_USB program - this is the only one which seems to be able to intercept Toppy on start up.

- Is this correct?

I think the other firmware upgrade tools (the one from this site and Antares) require Toppy to be up and running for them to work.

- Is this correct?

If the above statements are correct then I need a way to get TFDN_USB to work - currently is craps out early in the firmware upgrade process (it appears to start correctly and then Toppy give and E-15 error)
surnameforename
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I see there are some more suggestions - Thank you!

Working my way through them - trying EmptySettings now.

Hopefully I'll be able to report back with success soon!
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4377
You need to set Antares up to download the firmware - then switch the toppy on.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
surnameforename
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks everybody for the help. Toppy now searching for services, and Antares can see the files on it. My mistake was to not unplug Toppy from the mains.

Antares + Recommended_5800.tfd did the trick. EmptySettings.tfd installed, but would not boot correctly (From the Forums I'm ot the first person to have this problem.) I tried Recommended_5800.tfd and it installed, and worked.

Right, now for a cuppa and some TV! (For us all I hope) Thanks again.
meadfoot
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Jul 2005 Posts: 257
surnameforename wrote:
Line 70: CopyFile: Recommended_5810.tfd to #:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\
TTW: Copying File(s) C:\Users\gavin\Downloads\ToppyFirmwareLoader\Source\Recommended_5810.tfd to #:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\
TTW: Copying 'Recommended_5810.tfd' to '#:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\Recommended_5810.tfd'
TTW: Error: Failure during copy of 'Recommended_5810.tfd' to '#:\ProgramFiles\InstallerFirmware\Recommended_5810.tfd'

You state that you have a 5800 yet appear to be trying to load 5810 firmware?

Rog

Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/7/13

'I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand' Confucius
alan_m
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
surnameforename wrote:
Thanks everybody for the help. Toppy now searching for services, and Antares can see the files on it. My mistake was to not unplug Toppy from the mains.

I believe it should also work coming out of standby BUT maybe using the front panel button and not the button on the remote. Switching off/on at the mains always seems to work.

Quote:

EmptySettings.tfd installed, but would not boot correctly (From the Forums I'm ot the first person to have this problem.) I tried Recommended_5800.tfd and it installed, and worked.

Emptysetting is just pretend firmware that ONLY resets a handful of functions on a previously working firmware installation. If your previous installation was corrupt/incorrect I doubt that Emptysetting would have done anything. I posted my Emptysettings link to show the method of overwriting corrupt/wrong firmware with Antares as a TFDN_USB replacement

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
meadfoot wrote:
surnameforename wrote:

You state that you have a 5800 yet appear to be trying to load 5810 firmware?

Rog

D'oh! Please got to the top of the class for spotting the mistake which probably lead to all my problems. I looked at that but clearly did not read it properly.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4377
When you get empty settings working, I suggest you use the MyStuff installer; this will automatically choose the correct firmware for you. It also adds several other patches and utilities that you will probably need. In the unlikely event that you don't like MyStuff, you can easily revert to the standard, i.e. crippled, toppy by just deleting the MyStuff tap from \ProgramFiles\Auto Start\.

Once it is all working, suggest you give TopManager ago (link in my sig).
Post the output of "Display| MyInfo log" and use "Tools| Update forum Profile"

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
alan_m
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
surnameforename wrote:
Thanks everybody for the help.

If you now use the Toppy.org.uk Firmware Loader (links in previous posts) you may find that you will get additional support TAPs installed which will help with the reliability of your Toppy.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
alan_m wrote:
If you now use the Toppy.org.uk Firmware Loader (links in previous posts) you may find that you will get additional support TAPs installed which will help with the reliability of your Toppy.
Not to mention the fact that it will automatically choose the correct firmware for your device.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012