Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Topfield HD replacement Miraclebox

Page 10 of 46
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
birdman
Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:24 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1765 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
leshay wrote:
My GigaBlue box uses 0.7watts Deep Standby, 16Watts Standby. Since it will wake from Deep Standby for recordings (but apparently not for updates etc which need Cron timers), there is quite enough of a difference for me to choose to use Deep Standby when suitable.
I'm surprised it's that much, but...
The cron timers need to OS to be running (they'll be run by the Linux cron daemon), so can't run under Deep Standby.

I've just tried a timer from Deep Standby on the MiracleBox, and it started up OK. Still running, so I'll need to check in the morning whether it went back to Deep Standby.

There are various Power timers that can put the box into/out of either standby mode at particular times.

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
birdman
Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1765 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
alan_m wrote:
Can someone with a working box confirm that it comes out of deep standby correctly after a reasonably sort period of it going into that mode.
I put mine into Deep Standby mode (shading my eyes from the blue light), waited for ~15seconds then powered it up again.
All went OK. Disk (3.5" 1.5TB - SAMSUNG HD154UI) started up OK. Network (Ethernet) OK.
From what I can see the only difference between DeepStandby and Powered Off is that in the former the front panel is still on, so that it can reboot the system ahead of a timer. If that's the case then it has to reboot from both states, so it's odd that only one works for you.

TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
leshay
Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2005 Posts: 383
Post removed due to inaccurate information.

Darucla
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
I have cron power timers set to switch to deep standby in the early hours and then switch on later, and there appears to be no problem. Of course, I haven't yet actually witnessed the switch off, so can't really be sure that it is doing it.

I am coming to terms with the box. It has its quirks, the most annoying being that it doesn't appear to search both the Sat and Terrestrial epgs for programmes in case of a clash. But it does a couple of things nicely.

For instance, it happily records consecutive timers on the same channel with padding preserved for both, and without needing to chain the recordings. And it does one thing I used to think would be really cool, which is to allow IMDB info to be superimposed over the programme you are watching, which used to seem very futuristic. But really, a tablet pc is much more suitable for that extra info these days. But it does do Plex, although not without a bunch of problems.
alan_m
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3528
Darucla wrote:

For instance, it happily records consecutive timers on the same channel with padding preserved for both, and without needing to chain the recordings.

That's probably because it can to record up to 7 programs in parallel. The Toppy/Mystuff chains because it only record 2 programs at the same time.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2645
Darucla wrote:
For instance, it happily records consecutive timers on the same channel with padding preserved for both, and without needing to chain the recordings.
I was hoping it would do that, although I could see no reason why it wouldn't.

How does it cope with clashes?

If, for example, you include itv and itv+1, does it record both sets of search hits or one or the other, depending on clashes.

ccsx
Darucla
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I have a slightly different set of operational parameters, with one T" and one S2 tuner, so haven't sussed out the clash resolution yet. As above, it doesn't seem to check the other tuner for clash resolution in my case. So i have to check and fix when I set the recordings, which is fairly trivial.

I do need to spend more time checking for known options, as I think it should work across the tuners. But those forums are full of junk, so it's difficult to find what you're looking for. But i may change to 2 S2 tuners anyway.
leshay
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Hi

I posted this previously and then had some issues - so I removed my earlier post. The issues I had at that time proved to have nothing to do with the changes I made (below0, so I am re-posting.

I had trouble getting channels from my local transmitter (Blackhill) and had reverted to using "Europe Africa etc" and managed to get some. I posted a question on WoS forum mentioning this as part of that post and "abu baniaz" took it upon himself to write an updated Terrestrial.xml file (tuning data) to include an "United Kingdom" section which allows me to use my local transmitter to receive all channels (including HD).

If you are having similar trouble, then have a look at:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40580-New-User-Low-Priority-HD-folder-structure-puzzle

It is very easy to replace your existing Terrestrial.xml file with this version and may be of use to you.

Frank Haemorrhage
Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Nov 2008 Posts: 72
According to this Finnish website, the MiracleBox has no limit on max. simultaneous recordings. Bold claim or unlikely proposition? Presumably the caveat is per mux? Even so, with two T2 tuners the MB could record all Freeview HD channels simultaneously. No more clashing timers. Is there a catch?

http://www.satshop.fi/best-receivers?___store=default&___from_store=fi

TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; PruneEPG 1.0; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; MHEG On/Off A3; MyStuff 6.6
misterp
Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2006 Posts: 402 Location: Hull
So... this Miraclebox sounds brilliant!
I also have a Plex Server running in conjunction with my Roku 3 Media player. Would I be able to set up the MB with all the recordings as a Samba share, so I could map the Plex PC to it and view all the recordings on the MB through Plex onto the Roku?
Im thinking of using the Roku/Plex as a Frontend for all my media at once.

Steve

leshay
Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Hi

@Frank
I have a GigaBlue box using the same software as the MiracleBox, and the maximum validated recordings I have tried was 7 (plus watching a recording at the same time). I don't know about recording *everything*, but recording 7 is more than enough for me Smile

@misterp
I don't know those devices you mention, but I can stream direct from the box to PC, or record directly to my NAS and stream from there so think you could manage to do what you mention (I believe same on the MiracleBox)

birdman
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:59 am Reply with quote
misterp wrote:
Would I be able to set up the MB with all the recordings as a Samba share, ...
Yes.

misterp
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2006 Posts: 402 Location: Hull
Darucla wrote:
But it does do Plex, although not without a bunch of problems.

I was wondering about that, tell me more...
Steve

Darucla
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
I am talking about using the MB as a Plex client. In use, it connects to my server and displays all of my media, pretty much immediately. I have my PCH-A410 set up as my main client, and that will play just about anything.

I have only tried Plex as experiment, but there have been a few files that wouldn't play (I have transcoding switched off, so these may well play with transcoding on the PC). Because there appears to be no way of playing 5.1PCM through the MB, I have only stereo from films with PCM or TrueHD tracks.

The most annoying thing is that it is often difficult to switch Plex off. Pressing back on the remote goes to the previous file, stop and exit do nothing. As I said, I have only experimented, as it is not my main player, but it seems the only way to get out of it at times is to go to Live TV on the Plex interface. If you can get to it.

But my biggest problem with the box is the inability to play AAC 5.1 sound in multi-channel, which makes me consider using another Sat tuner which avoids the problem.
Bob_Swede
Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Oct 2007 Posts: 1066 Location: Sweden
Just saw this discussion when visiting the Toppy forum....
I have a situation where my two remaining Toppies are not enough to receive a lot of channels, some freewiew channels use MPEG4 and therefore the Toppy cannot get these. And of course the HD channels are out as well.
So I bought a HUMAX box in Sweden, this is the high-end offer from the broadcaster Boxer. But it is very limited, for example one cannot extract recorded programs off of the HUMAX to backup off the box hdd (which is a meager 500 GB). And of course the timer options are not nearly as good as what MyStuff provides.

Anyway,
rather than scanning this whole thread for a possible answer I pose my deciding question here:

- Can the MiracleBox and/or GigaBlue units handle coded transmissions for payed channels? Most of the Swedish channels are coded so we have to use a smart card in a slot in the box to decode them.
Is this provided with these systems so they will work in Sweden as well?

(EPG: XMLTV2Mei for Win + MyStuff)
(Toppy access: ASUS WL-500g-P FTP installed using chunkywizard's guide)
Sig partly gen. by MyInfo on 12/4/2013