Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  What's the latest?

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Thinker
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Feb 2010 Posts: 52
Hi Topsters

It's a long time since I posted here. Had a quick look around the forum for answers which has helped in some cases but really now just need a quick view of the latest state of play.

I have a Black Panther 5800.

Last time I came to update any TAPs I discovered that there wasn't a version of Altair that would work with modern Windows PCs, i.e. Win 7 64 bit etc. That left me unable to connect to the Toppy.

My firmware is probably well out of date now (TF-NPT 5.13.65T)

I'm about to replace all the capacitors in the box for the first time as for a year or so I've had the familiar HD clicking/hunting symptoms and slow remote response.

So questions:

1. Is there a Win 7 utility that will let me connect my laptop to the Toppy?
2. If not how do people manage their TAPs ?

If I upgrade my firmware this may well impact TAPS I use. I'd be happy to upgrade TAPS if there was a way to do so but if not I would want to stay with current firmware for as long as possible.

I saw a thread about being able to wirelessly connect to a Toppy but I didn't understand it TBH.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4532
@Thinker

You are already running the "latest" firmware - also the best.

You can use Antares to copy files to and from Win7.1

The Antares kit also downloads a driver which will allow TopManager and the MyStuff Installer to work (the driver can also be downloaded without installing Antares). Having installed the driver, you could use TopManager to fix the dll so that Altair works but Antares is probably much better.

Suggest you install Antares first and then, if your toppy is still working, post the output of MyInfo Log.txt (you might like to try TopManager to help do this). The output of MyInfo will enable others to advise on what might/should be upgraded.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
juwlz
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Thinker wrote:
ROFL. That's the recommended firmware, and always will be now. There's nobody left in the Toppy community who can write patches or firmware updates.
Quote:
2. If not how do people manage their TAPs?
If you're using MyStuff, use the MyStuff installer. Otherwise, (as well as doing it manually using Antares), there is the TopManager PC app, which can install many of the more "useful" TAPs and their config files for you.

If you run MyInfo on your Toppy (highly recommended) TopManager can also update your forum signature using information generated by MyInfo, so that others here can offer support appropriate to your setup.
Quote:
I saw a thread about being able to wirelessly connect to a Toppy but I didn't understand it TBH.
You need to buy and configure extra hardware for that.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Thinker
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses chaps. Imagine my surprise to hear my firmware was the latest !! Real shame that won't be improved upon.

I don't use MyStuff sorry. I was always a Jags fan but when that got out of sync with firmwares I abandoned it and ever since have run with EPG Navigator and UK Auto Scheduler as my main TAPS, supplemented with Desc Extender, Power Manager and TF5000 Display. Solid reliable set up it has been for me.

Once my PSU caps are replaced I hope to keep my Toppy going for plenty of time to come. It has been worth every penny and I take pride in the fact that I have never directly paid Mr Murdock 1 penny for Sky. I still chuckle at how he was selling unsuspecting punters with Sky boxes with single tuners and just 40MB hard disks in them whilst the Toppy was already trail blazing with 250MB and dual tuners. Even when the first Sky+ boxes were rolling out the Toppy still outpowered them like a Ferrari against a milk cart, yet millions of UK punters happily paid 30-50 per month for the privilege !! Go figure !
albertd
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 582
If you are not using MyStuff, you are really missing out. Once you have sorted the capacitors and re-established contact with your Toppy, get it installed using the MyStuff Installer and you will find a world of difference.

If you need any help re the capacitors, you can get a kit of parts or a replacement service via this forum.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3470
albertd wrote:
If you need any help re the capacitors, you can get a kit of parts or a replacement service via this forum.

In case you've missed it, the recommendation is now to replace all 18 secondary electrolytic capacitors in the PSU.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Thinker
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Andy - Caps received this morning. Many thanks for the swift turnaround, this makes the process very easy. I know I could have walked into my local electronics shop for these but it's a faff and I might have ended up with slight variations which were unsuitable. To have someone totally clued up putting a set of proven capacitors together is a no risk blessing imo so appreciate the service you offer for people here.

I'll be soldering this afternoon so wish me luck.

Albertd - Really I'm quite happy with EPG Navigator and UK Scheduler as my primary taps. They are intuitive, do what they say on the tin and have worked flawlessly for me for years. What am I "missing out" on with MyStuff?
albertd
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 582
Thinker wrote:
What am I "missing out" on with MyStuff?
The best way of finding out more about it would by having a read of the very comprehensive 6.5 manual which you can find here:

http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff//cgi/Downloads.cgi

It really is worth using. If you try it for a week or so and still don't like it you can always take it off again. It does transform the Toppy from a rather basic machine to something very powerful.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
My Toppy is like new ! Smile No more constant clicking from the HD and the remote control is immediate and responsive again. Wish I had done this earlier.

The swap out of the capacitors was reasonably straight forward but fiddly at times. Hit an immediate problem when the screws holding the hard disk in place just wouldn't budge. Tried every screwdriver I had but as there was no room for a straight attack the screw thread started to wear out. In the end I had to take out my De Walt and drill 2 of the screws out. That done, the rest was simple enough.

I confess that having soldered in and out 18 capacitors I really thought I would end up with at least one dry joint or excess solder shorting out a circuit but seems I did ok. Toppy hasn't exploded yet and is working like new Smile

Question for Andyfras. How long do we expect these new caps to last? I'm thinking that I will have to go through this process again in a few years time so I am of the mind to order another set in advance in case you disappear.

Thanks for all the help.
Bizman
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
Thinker wrote:
In the end I had to take out my De Walt and drill 2 of the screws out.
I trust you were careful enough to remove any swarf from the drilling operation. Stray bits of metal on the circuitry can cause further problems. Very Happy

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
andyfras
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Thinker wrote:
Question for Andyfras. How long do we expect these new caps to last? I'm thinking that I will have to go through this process again in a few years time so I am of the mind to order another set in advance in case you disappear.

The replacement capacitors should last significantly longer than the originals. They are mostly Panasonic, top grade (generally not available in your local shop). I have never had to replace them twice, unlike Maplin ones that usually don't last more than a year.

Thinker
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Bizman - Yep, I used a piece of paper with the edges turned up beneath the drilling area to catch the fine metal shavings. Seems mad that those screws were in so tight and the screws themselves pretty soft but hey ho, job done now.

Andyfras - I would like another set just in case as the low price of these components makes it a no brainer. Maybe a whole new range of Topfields will become available in the future and I won't need them but doesn't hurt to havethe ackup.
alan_m
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3524
Thinker wrote:
Bizman - Yep, I used a piece of paper with the edges turned up beneath the drilling area to catch the fine metal shavings. Seems mad that those screws were in so tight and the screws themselves pretty soft but hey ho, job done now.

You probably used the wrong screwdriver tip - all cross head screws are not the same. One trick is to file the srewdriver tip flat so the screwdriver sits lower into the cross head part of the screw. The other trick is to shock it out by tapping the top of the handle with a hammer before turning.

I think that some of the screws on the toppy were screw locked (a varnish like substance applied to the thread while assembling.)

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
All screws used in the Toppy have Philips #2 heads (NOT Pozi!). None are locktited in my experience.

misterp
Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2006 Posts: 402 Location: Hull
juwlz wrote:
Thinker wrote:
ROFL. That's the recommended firmware, and always will be now. There's nobody left in the Toppy community who can write patches or firmware updates.

Julie

Why? where did they go?

Steve