Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Chromecast solutions

Page 1 of 1
richie
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 156 Location: Ash Vale (Hannington)
Hi
Now that chromecast has launched, I am turning my mind to how toppy videos might be cast to it.

With a smart linux box and some decent storage attached to my toppy, I'm thinking I could build up a small library of videos pre-transcoded from the toppy, ready to cast out around the house (or if linux boxes such as pogoplug, raspberry pi etc aren't capable of casting pre-transcoded videos, be pulled by another video player elsewhere on the home network, ready for casting).

Has anyone played around in this kind of area?
juwlz
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Your biggest hurdle is that (at least for now) Chromecast's input has to come from the cloud, not local storage ... unless the new SDK has changed all that. You may be able to fudge it by making local storage LOOK as though it's coming from a cloud server though. (That may or may not be the way that Koushik Dutta has "hacked" it to work in AllCast).

However, you may get some mileage if you can play your content in the Chrome browser, and use the Chrome extension to cast it to the ChromeCast from there.

The Chromecast is controlled entirely by the sending app, via Google's API, so the app needs to

a) allow the user to choose and open the file to be cast
b) allow the user to choose which ChromeCast device to connect to (if any)
c) initiate the playback
d) communicate with the ChromeCast player to pause / play / rewind, etc.

The sending app can (AFAIK) only connect to one ChromeCast at a time. For distribution, we have one of ours plugged into our AV amp, and the signal is distributed from there to TVs in other rooms.

My review from August last year is a little out of date now in some of the details, as the ChromeCast itself has had some firmware updates, and the official SDK has been released since I wrote it, and there are more apps that now have support (including BBC iPlayer, I'm led to believe, although I haven't tried it for myself), but you may find it useful.

Julie
(owner of 2 US imports, and about to be the owner of 2 more UK models)

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
richie
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 156 Location: Ash Vale (Hannington)
Thanks Julie I'd already found your review as virtually the first result when I googled in the toppy context.

I hear that bubbleupnp can definitely cast from local (phone) storage to chromecast. This excellent app also supports playing from network storage, and the author has also created a useful server app that sits on a linux box and hosts a media server for DLNA etc. It's particularly good, because unlike virtually all other home grown apps, it supports "openhome" which means you can disconnect your phone from the network once you schedule a playlist, and the server will keep submitting tracks.

Therefore, the solution may be simpler than I think, as I already have bubbleupnpserver on the same linux box that is connected to the toppy.

If the client app does indeed (a) Cast videos properly and (b) Talk to its own server properly for videos (only tried it for much tracks so far) then this could be quite a simple task of pulling videos from the toppy and transcoding them in the background, on the linux box.
Darucla
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
I currently use Plex a lot, but not all Plex clients are equal. I am hoping that the Chromecast allows pass-through of HD audio (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD /Master Audio). Some specs seem to indicate that it will, but very few reviews touch on it. But this would certainly be a simple way to go if it works, and you don't mind having to use the Chrome browser.