Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Search with &

Page 1 of 1
mavison
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 May 2007 Posts: 241
For some considerable time we have had a PS for 'Scott & Bailey' which has worked in the past. Today I noticed that it was neither recording or marking as a duplicate a program on tonight. On investigation I found that the search was called 'Scott & Bailey' but it was looking for 'Scott Bailey' at the start. I wondered about the missing &, and tried to insert it, but it is not an option.

I then created a new PS from the EPG, which is now recording (and includes the & in the search string).

So, three questions:
1. Why did the & disappear from my old search?
2. How can I enter & into a search string?
3. Will the new search be using the same checks for duplicates as the old search, or will it start all over again?

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; TF5000 Display v1.53; MHEG On/Off A3; (Power Restore V0.7.7);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 10/1/20
juwlz
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
We'll need BobD to answer 1 & 2, but as to 3, MS still has the CRID information about episodes you've already recorded, so week still spot duplicates etc. related to those CRIDs

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
BobD
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4218
Arrrgggghhhh! I had written my whole reply to this, short of a couple of words at the end, when my laptop turned itself off! It seems to have a habit at the moment of shutting down if not on mains power even when the battery level is (as it is now after a quick reboot on mains) 43%. It doesn't even go into standby, it shuts down completely (and so loses everything I am doing at the time). When on mains power it works fine! So far, I have not tried just rebooting it and leaving it off the mains to see how long it lasts for, as I am normally too busy tryng to redo what I have lost.

Anyone have any ideas what that might be about?

Anyway....

1) I think there are only two things that could have caused this:

a) Installing a newer (eg 6.5, with its new Search keyword style "TITLE STARTS WITH.....") after having created the Search in an older version. This would make MS update the Search, and at this point it would perhaps decide that & is no longer a valid character, and so remove it. Maybe.

b) You edited the Search, thus making MS update it, and making the same decision as above.

It may have been something else, but these are the only two that I can think of, as MS does not update Searches at any other time.

As your new Search includes a & character anyway, it would seem that I do still consider it valid in at least some cases.

2) Other than by creating the Search based on something in the EPG with an & already, you can't. Matching against & is a tricky business anyway, as broadcasters seem to change from using & to and and back again more or less randomly for the same programme. MS may once (and may still) allow & to match & or and, but I would have to delve into the code to check.

Having just delved, I can say that MS does not consider & as something to match, so "TITLE EQUALS Scott & Bailey" would in fact match

Scott & Bailey
Scott Bailey (ie the same but ignoring the &)
Scott ! Bailey (ie the same but replacing the & with any other character that MS ignores)

but not

Scott and Bailey

3) As juwlz says, the new Search should pick up the same history etc as the old one. You can check this by displaying ExInfo on any recording made from the old Search (if you still have any left on your Toppy). This should tell you that the recording was made by the New Search.

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
mstombs
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 938
I had and still have a search for

#Title##StartsWith#Scott & Bailey

It also hasn't picked up the new repeats as duplicates (sure I have seen before), probably because was only set for itv, but new series is on itv3. Maybe something changed in crid as well.
ccs
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2602
BobD wrote:
Arrrgggghhhh! I had written my whole reply to this, short of a couple of words at the end, when my laptop turned itself off! It seems to have a habit at the moment of shutting down if not on mains power even when the battery level is (as it is now after a quick reboot on mains) 43%. It doesn't even go into standby, it shuts down completely (and so loses everything I am doing at the time). When on mains power it works fine!
OT a bit - Me too!

Mine's a Sony and the battery health is "excellent", but in practice it discharges in about 10 minutes, and from about 55% to zero in a few seconds.

I begrudge paying Sony prices for adapters and batteries. It's almost as cheap to buy another laptop.

Anyone able to recommend where to buy a laptop battery from?

There are 1000's to choose from and non seem to commit to genuine replacements.

ccsx
billmars
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 761
Try:-
http://www.good-batteries.co.uk/brand.php/SONY+battery
I've had a Toshiba battery from this company and it was fine (until recently when it seems to be going the same way as all rechargeable batteries!). It has lasted a good few years though.

5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.6;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
ccs
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Cheers - I'll check them out.

ccsx
mavison
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
BobD wrote:
1) I think there are only two things that could have caused this:

a) Installing a newer (eg 6.5, with its new Search keyword style "TITLE STARTS WITH.....") after having created the Search in an older version. This would make MS update the Search, and at this point it would perhaps decide that & is no longer a valid character, and so remove it. Maybe.
I have ceratinly had it since 6.4, and probably longer.
BobD wrote:
b) You edited the Search, thus making MS update it, and making the same decision as above.
Dont think I did. I would have no reason to!
BobD wrote:
It may have been something else, but these are the only two that I can think of, as MS does not update Searches at any other time.

As your new Search includes a & character anyway, it would seem that I do still consider it valid in at least some cases.

2) Other than by creating the Search based on something in the EPG with an & already, you can't. Matching against & is a tricky business anyway, as broadcasters seem to change from using & to and and back again more or less randomly for the same programme. MS may once (and may still) allow & to match & or and, but I would have to delve into the code to check.

Having just delved, I can say that MS does not consider & as something to match, so "TITLE EQUALS Scott & Bailey" would in fact match

Scott & Bailey
Scott Bailey (ie the same but ignoring the &)
Scott ! Bailey (ie the same but replacing the & with any other character that MS ignores)

but not

Scott and Bailey
Fine. But I had a search for 'Scott & Bailey' which was changed to 'Scott Bailey' which does not now match 'Scott & Bailey' !! Which may even have caused missed recordings Sad

Should & be ignored in both the search string and searched string, or neither?
It seems that currently there is no way to manually set a search for this program?

BobD wrote:
3) As juwlz says, the new Search should pick up the same history etc as the old one. You can check this by displaying ExInfo on any recording made from the old Search (if you still have any left on your Toppy). This should tell you that the recording was made by the New Search.
No old recordings left, so I cannot check.

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; TF5000 Display v1.53; MHEG On/Off A3; (Power Restore V0.7.7);
ccs
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
billmars wrote:
Try:-
http://www.good-batteries.co.uk/brand.php/SONY+battery
I've had a Toshiba battery from this company and it was fine (until recently when it seems to be going the same way as all rechargeable batteries!). It has lasted a good few years though.
ccs wrote:
Cheers - I'll check them out.
Just had a quick look - no address, no telephone number, actually based in china.

A search for my specific battery came up with 2 alternatives, which had different physical dimensions. Crying or Very sad

ccsx
BobD
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4218
mavison wrote:
Fine. But I had a search for 'Scott & Bailey' which was changed to 'Scott Bailey' which does not now match 'Scott & Bailey' !! Which may even have caused missed recordings Sad
I think that the Search was updated when you installed 6.5, and changed from something that worked to something that didn't! Sorry about that. Can you please confirm how many spaces there are between "Scott" and "Bailey" in the old Search (if you still have it)?

Just to confirm, the new Search is recording things correctly?

Quote:
Not sure I follow you here.

Quote:
It seems that currently there is no way to manually set a search for this program?
Manually from scratch? I think if you created one to match "Scott Bailey" (ie two spaces) it should match "Scott & Bailey" correctly. I may add & back as a valid character to select into the internal build, which would at least allow you to add it, in order for itto be ignored by MS when matching.

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
mavison
Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
BobD wrote:
I think that the Search was updated when you installed 6.5, and changed from something that worked to something that didn't! Sorry about that. Can you please confirm how many spaces there are between "Scott" and "Bailey" in the old Search (if you still have it)?
I think you are right about 6.5 ... but I cannot prove it, as I have looked for 6.4 backups but my oldest seems to be 6.5beta. Currently there is only one space between 'Scott' and 'Bailey' in the old search.

BobD wrote:
Just to confirm, the new Search is recording things correctly?
Yes, it seems to be. I only created the new one when I happened to see that the old one was not!

BobD wrote:
Quote:
Not sure I follow you here.
Nor do I now!

BobD wrote:
Quote:
Manually from scratch? I think if you created one to match "Scott Bailey" (ie two spaces) it should match "Scott & Bailey" correctly. I may add & back as a valid character to select into the internal build, which would at least allow you to add it, in order for itto be ignored by MS when matching.
I will try it with 2 spaces.

If no-one else has noticed this, perhaps it is just me, and not worth worrying about - I did have some of the later beta/rc versions for testing.

Laser
Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 440
mavison wrote:
If no-one else has noticed this, perhaps it is just me, and not worth worrying about - I did have some of the later beta/rc versions for testing.

I noticed similar issues during beta test too. In my discussions with BobD I got the impression he may have been in two minds what to do for the best (tied up with "New:" at the start of things, etc.) and it sounds like it may not have been completely resolved.

It would be nice, if BobD has the time, to define a new, clear pattern of behaviour that covers the requirements. Rather like the revised "naming of searches" outcome in another thread.