Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Topfield TF5800T - RIP?

Page 1 of 1
joshm
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 May 2005 Posts: 47
HI,

My Toppy has provided sterling service since I purchased it way back in 2005, but the other day it started playing up and now I'm worried that it's had it.

The Toppy stopped responding to the remote altogether, and the front panel buttons would become unresponsive after a short while.

I removed all TAPs, formatted the disk (at the cost of all my recordings, but I suppose it couldn't get much worse so I figured 'what the hell'), and factory reset. This seemed to have the effect of making the front panel keys a little better (most of the time), but the remote still does not invoke a response. New batteries in that = no change. I can still connect via USB OK, so there's life in there. Plus I'm getting a picture & sound (or at least was, until I reset it and lost the channels).

Is there an easy way to check for a dead remote, or do the symptoms of the Toppy itself suggest something more severe? I seem to remember fearing a dead remote before, but in the end (and after taking the remote apart) I think it turned out that there was something else wrong (although I can't for the life of me remember what!).

In the meantime I've started to use a Humax DTRT1000 YouView box I had hanging around and it seems ok, but I'd still like to fix the Toppy if it's economically viable - it's like an old friend to me (plus, the missus knows how to use it)!

Any advice gratefully received...

joshm
joshm
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone think it could be capacitor failure in the PSU? Seems like a likely candidate, in which case I might try a DIY repair
andyfras
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3470
joshm wrote:
Does anyone think it could be capacitor failure in the PSU?

Definitely!

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
ryclark
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
There can be known problems with the remote receiver on the front panel card. Andyfras can advise on replacement or repair.

If you have had the Toppy since your joining date and haven't had the caps replaced then it is very likely that there is a PSU fault. You can check the voltages to see if they are out of spec. See the PSU repair threads and beware the live heatsink on the PSU board.

?
juwlz
Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
It's a shame you didn't check the forum before formatting your drive. Unfortunately, it was almost certainly unnecessary (and also unlikely to help).

See Toppy Repairs. If you've had your Toppy 8 years without repairing the PSU, it's done well.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
joshm
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies so far. I'll look into replacing the capacitors.

A quick, further question if I may? I have a 250GB Samsung IDE HDD lying around somewhere. Since I've blown away all of my data, is a straight swap job to upgrade the drive? Or does it need a specific partition/filesystem gubbins setting up?

Thanks!
juwlz
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Not necessarily - it's easy to fit a drive that the Toppy struggles with - some simply won't work at all; others will work in the short term, but demand too much power from the Toppy and fail before too long (usually after just long enough for you to have decided they'll be fine, of course). But you may not need to anyway, once the PSU has been repaired. See also Replacing your Hard Drive.

Most people will switch to a green drive - i.e. one with low power requirements, that the Toppy won't have a problem with.

See
Disk upgrades - summary of working and non-working models
and
SATA-IDE converters, working and non-working models
for details of drives and adapters which WILL work in a Toppy.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
joshm
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the swift response!

Well I've gone and ordered a bunch of caps for the PSU, lets see if it makes any difference...

As for the HDD, thanks for the warning - I think I'll just leave things as they are.
alan_m
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3524
joshm wrote:

Is there an easy way to check for a dead remote,

For information see
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204744#204744

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
joshm wrote:

Is there an easy way to check for a dead remote,

For information see
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204744#204744

Thank you! With this simple test I can see that my remote is still alive.
joshm
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, my capacitor pack arrived and I spent a little while replacing them. I replaced 16 out of the 18 since I think I ordered the wrong part for a couple (bought 35V 100uF whereas the PSU had 25V 100uF) Rolling Eyes.

Alas, it doesn't appear to have made any difference. The remote (which is still working) does not have any effect, and the front panel buttons work for a while but then stop.

I fear that the end may be in sight for my Toppy Crying or Very sad

The last hope is that there may be a simple fix for the IR receiver?

Thanks for your help anyway!
andyfras
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3470
joshm wrote:
I replaced 16 out of the 18 since I think I ordered the wrong part for a couple (bought 35V 100uF whereas the PSU had 25V 100uF) Rolling Eyes.

It's OK to use a 35V capacitor in place of a 25V (but not the other way around). In fact, that's what I now supply in my kits.

Quote:

The IR receiver has been known to fail. This also affects the front panel buttons. I can supply a suitable replacement.

See: https://sites.google.com/site/andyfraserelectronics/freeview-and-satellite-recorder-repair/topfield-pvr-faults

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
mateybass
Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 Dec 2005 Posts: 28
joshm wrote:

Indeed, there might be... I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the via connections on the circuit board, the little round holes on the printed circuit board that pass the circuit flow from front to back of the double sided board.

Check this thread out, my contribution is the last post of the thread.

I now have a Humax DTR2100... and a twin quad core HP workstation.
misterp
Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2006 Posts: 402 Location: Hull
Yeah the front panel IR receiver died on mine at the same time as the caps went. all sorted with a new front panel from Andyfras