Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Does anyone know what file attribute D2 represents?

Page 1 of 1
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4279
According to FireBird's document, the TF58** series has a limited range of file attributes i.e.
D0 ? File (created by Altair)
D1 ? File (created by the Toppy)
F0 ? ?..? Directory
F1 ? ?.? Directory
F2 ? Subdirectory
F3 ? Recycle-directory
FF ? unused

Looking on my toppy, I have a D2 attribute! This is used by 4 files:
FontManager.ini
OZArchive.ini
OZArchivePlayback.dat
OZArchiveLastView.dat

Does anyone know anything about this attribute? I've googled but can't find anything about it. Although OZArchive talks about ATTR_TS, I don't know what value it is and it is used in conjunction with ".rec" files (which the above aren't).
Note: I don't actually use OzArchive

I've deleted FontManager.ini and recreated it using it's tap; the new file also has the D2 attribute i.e. it means that it isn't the result of my file system being clobbered in the past.

I suppose what I'm really trying to find out is, is this a valid file attribute?. If so, I'll need to support it in my file system check tap (though that is difficult without knowing what it represents). I suppose there may also be other undocumented attributes ... Sad

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
EMJB
Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3632 Location: Maldon Essex
See hdd.h - it's "ATTR_POGRAM", i.e. TAP I assume, but I have never known how/when it was used. I suspect a feature dreamt up by Topfield that was never implemented/used.

Incidentally, I thought FF meant deleted, and thought "." and ".." had directory attributes as would be implied by hdd.h.

EMJB

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2537
It looks like D0 and D1 are Topfield "defined" attributes.

D2 has been used by a Tap author because it isn't a "Topfield attribute.

It doesn't sound like you can reject a file based on attributes. - what does Antares/MyStuff use?

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
@EMJB

Thanks for that; it took me some time to find a copy of HDD.h on my pc!

FF = unused = deleted
However, this is only within the area of the directory that has been written; above that they are undefined and could have any old value.

@ccs

Many thanks; reading between the lines, it looks as though a tap writer can choose almost any value they want for an attribute (my previous understanding from googling and/or reading posts was that only those mentioned in my initial post were valid).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
EMJB
Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3632 Location: Maldon Essex
A bit naughty if authors do not stick to the official attributes, as they are likely to get missed by any TAP looking for files or by the USB interface so they would risk people being unable to delete, view, or copy them back to a PC.

EMJB

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps files created with a non-standard attribute aren't affected by the bug when files are a multiple of 512 ?
(I think this bug only affects files that have been created with Altair but I can't "easily" find my notes to check and I can't be bothered to search further).

Geoff

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Having altered the code to allow any attribute, I've now changed my mind and decided to flag the first occurrence of any unexpected value and ask the user to inform me if it is flagging a legitimate file. This will allow me to get a list of attributes that are in use.

One prime reason for not allowing all attributes means that I won't be trying to decode entries when a directory is corrupted; the downside is that I could potentially be flagging 250ish bad entries when it is corrupted (but that can be handled in a future release when I have a better feel for normal values).

Geoff