Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  New Service - PSU Exchange

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
andyfras
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
I now have sufficient spares to be able to offer a PSU exchange service.

Initially this will be limited to 5800 PSUs only (both types, see below). If I get another spare board for a 5810, I will extend the service.

This is how it will work:

I will send out the refurbished PSU in suitable packaging for the return journey, with return label and instructions (postage at your expense, currently 3).

In addition to the repair price, I will charge a deposit of 25 to ensure that the boards are returned promptly. Any repair beyond capacitor replacement will be deducted from the deposit. The deposit will be returned via Paypal, bank transfer or cheque (SAE required).

Obviously this system will only work while I have sufficient spare boards, so any tardiness in returning PSUs will lead to 'naming and shaming' on the forum.

To help identify the type of PSU in your Toppy:

You will need to remove the hard drive cradle in order to see it. The 'clip' type connector does not always have red on it as pictured.

There is a date grid on the PSU; if it is 2005, it's probably an early model (without clips). I think that from 2006 on, they are all the later type.

Last edited by andyfras on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:19 pm; edited 4 times in total

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
andyfras
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
First successful PSU exchange has been completed. All went very smoothly.

sk01
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
As the subject of this exchange, I would like to thank Andy for this service. From my initial enquiry the whole thing has been completed in just 6 days. The repair took me about 45 minutes, mostly due to extracting the Toppy from the HiFi unit. Net cost of 25 is a snip - no way could I have soldered in 18 capacitors and still had a working PVR at the end of it. Thoroughly recommended for anyone with an aging Toppy and thanks again Andy.

TopTapper
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 234
Transplant successfully completed. Great service, thanks andyfras.
andyfras
Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Updated with photo to help identify PSU type.

kdp99
Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Just another thumbs up for this psu repair, sorted my sisters 5810 in a most efficent and helpful way
Steve_48
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Posts: 260 Location: Willerby, East Yorkshire
Just wanted to drop a big thank you to andyfras this morning, my 2005 Toppy had power issues last weekend and I feared the worst.

So in less than a week I took the plunge, sent off the knackered PSU and fitted back into the chassis this morning - all sorted, HDD powered up first time.

Recommended service.

AutoStart TAPs: MyStuff v6.3 | eit2mei BETA 7.8m3 | TF5000 (LCD) Display TAP 1.51a | TSR Commander 1.5 | PowerManager v2.0 | TapCommander 1.31 Beta 6 | SuperPiP 1.1a | AccurateBM | RecordingFixer
Toys: Samsung 37" HD Freeview, Sony HT-SS500 Amplifier + 5.1 Speakers, Netgear Router, BuffaloNAS 4Tb, Xbox, Wii, PS3
leicray
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 22 Feb 2007 Posts: 29 Location: Leicester (Waltham TX), UK
Another satisfied customer. Such prompt service!

andyfras performed a refurb (rather than a swap) on my PSU because it was the newer type with connectors which clip into place. Note that not all of these later PSUs have the red & white connectors shown in the photo. Mine were all white.
andyfras
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Having acquired another new type PSU, I can now offer the exchange service to all 5800 owners.

If I get another spare 5810 PSU, I'll extend the service further.

laurelgate
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
A big thanks from me to Andy.

Discussed exchange yesterday, delivered today and all back working.

Great service and I look forward to another few years from the Toppy...
andyfras
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I've just done another successful PSU exchange.

(shameless bump to keep on first page Rolling Eyes )

odie
Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Dec 2006 Posts: 101 Location: Coventry, Transmitter: Sutton Coldfield.
Another satisfied PSU exchange customer here! One newer style 5800 PSU received within 24h of sending payment, and my Toppy's feeling much better. Many thanks Andy!

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; Goldfish 0.5; TSRCommander 1.1; EPG2MEI v0.96; TF5000 Display v1.52; QuickJump 1.72; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; MyStuff 6.6; UK Subtitle 1.9; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3; (StartCh);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 29/1/15
Neil Holland
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Andy correctly diagnosed my "hard drive" issues were in fact PSU related. Replacement arrived promptly with return label and packaging. All straight forwards and deposit returned.

Good job, Andy.

Cheers

Neil
ScotToppy
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Feb 2006 Posts: 64 Location: Cairneyhill Fife
andyfras wrote:

Not sure what PM contact means but if Andyfras can would he supply me with an exchange PSU for my 5800 BlackPanther started throwing wobblers and advice is to change all caps. Large ones done in 2009 so a swap out would appear to be the best option.

Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3511
ScotToppy wrote:
andyfras wrote:

Not sure what PM contact means but if Andyfras can would he supply me with an exchange PSU for my 5800 BlackPanther started throwing wobblers and advice is to change all caps. Large ones done in 2009 so a swap out would appear to be the best option.

Below each posting there is a PM (Personal Message) button. If you find one of Andy's postings and press the PM button in the signature of that post you will be given the option to send him an email. His reply probably will be back to you via the message service provided on this forum - and from memory, with a notification sent to you via your sign up email address (which you can change in your forum profile)