Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  Upgrading from a toppy 5800 to freeview HD, recomendations?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
rjavery
Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 06 Dec 2005 Posts: 26 Location: St Albans
rjavery wrote:
Rich_Enduro wrote:
just wondering what those of you have done who have opted for a freeview HD box? the Humax seems like the top choice but is it? finding the toppy was a complete fluke and i purchased on the strength of online recommendations, so is there any other secrets i should know about? i loved the fact the toppy could install taps but is there anything as flexible available in the UK with HD?

I have just seen this Echostar HDT-610R is coming to the market. Aren't too sure of the details except it is skinny, only a 500GB drive but it does have ethernet for the new Freeview Broadband stuff coming along the line.

Might be worth finding out about.

Rich

Just emailed them to find out if there is any way to access recordings via network or USB. Also asked if they are part of YouView and might add features in the future. They are the manufacturers of the SlingBox so I am hopeful they might have some wizardry up their sleeves.

There is a chance to win one at their website so I have taken a punt onthat. 260 is a bit steep to just take alook at the box but winning one wouldbe a different issue. Laughing

?
paddyb
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Nov 2006 Posts: 133
Is the Humax HDR-Fox T2 still the prefered HD choice for Toppy users? There are several threads from Toppy users on its forum:

http://hummy.tv/forum/forums/hdr-fox-t2-freeview-recorder.13/

This machine is over two years old now, so I'm just checking there nothing else that i've missed?

Having experiencing my parents Panasonic HW100, which it doesn't appear have the option to copy programmes onto other media and other little annoyances like not being able to watch or hear a programme whilst browing the EPG or archive, it reminds me how good the Toppy is.
juwlz
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
There's a much longer discussion of the available options in the Modern, HD equivalent to the TF5800? thread.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
paddyb
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
There's a much longer discussion of the available options in the Modern, HD equivalent to the TF5800? thread.

Julie

Thanks Julie, thought i'd seen more discussion on thgis subject somewhere. Does sound like the Hummy or an HTPC is the way to go. Whatever i do, i'm not getting rid of my Toppy just yet and will still keep it running with mystuff to pick up whatever HD solution i eventually plump for misses!
cawright1
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Oct 2008 Posts: 145
So, where are we now then? Both my Toppy's are stuttering and I think it's time I looked at getting something else in place. What's the current fav?

?
juwlz
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:42 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
cawright1 wrote:
So, where are we now then? Both my Toppy's are stuttering and I think it's time I looked at getting something else in place. What's the current fav?
A lot of people have gone for the Miraclebox or its variants. Do a Google search for
miraclebox site:toppy.org.uk

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
cawright1
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
cawright1 wrote:
A lot of people have gone for the Miraclebox or its variants. Do a Google search for
miraclebox site:toppy.org.uk

Julie

oh wow, feel like my head will explode with all that info/specs etc. Essentially, I just want a replacement for the trusty toppy, with a bigger disk.

?
paddyb
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
I've been using a Humax HDR Fox T2 with the customized firmware for about three years now. It works well most of the time, but the timer software isn't as intuitive as Mystuff especially when it comes to recording alternate broadcasts of something when there is a clash. You need to keep a bit more of an eye on things than with a Toppy, but the ability to set timers remotely and the networking features are very useful, plus its HD.

Is it still possible to get the caps changed on Toppys? I've got four of them of different flavours, which I used as backups in-case the Humax misses something, but they're all on the blink now and the Humax has recently started playing up.

Miracle Box sounds like it might be a good replacement for both, I'll read up on that when I've got more time, but skimming through, it sounds like this is best to use for satellite rather than freeview?
andyfras
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
paddyb wrote:
Is it still possible to get the caps changed on Toppys?

See my sig below.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
cawright1
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
paddyb wrote:
I've been using a Humax HDR Fox T2 with the customized firmware for about three years now.

Paddy, found a few of these at decent prices on ebay, but then when checking the reviews on amazon, chanfed my mind. Some shocking tales of failure there, both in the remote, and generally issues of lost recordings etc. Never had any such issues with my Toppy so as you can imagine, it put me right off!

?
ccs
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2587
paddyb wrote:

Miracle Box sounds like it might be a good replacement for both, I'll read up on that when I've got more time, but skimming through, it sounds like this is best to use for satellite rather than freeview?
I'd say it's a lot easier to use with Freeview.
People seem to struggle setting up satellite/cable, although it's probably easy if you know what you're doing.

ccsx
alan_m
Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3509
ccs wrote:
paddyb wrote:

I'd say it's a lot easier to use with Freeview.
People seem to struggle setting up satellite/cable, although it's probably easy if you know what you're doing.

In the UK just connect the cable from your Sky/Freesat dish
Go to ABM and select Freesat and the region
Scan

No more difficult than setting up Freeview on the same box. In fact there is an incomplete data base for all the Freeview transmitter hence the often requested plea to UK Freeview users to submit a few files from their boxes

You have to remember when reading the Vix forums not everyone is in the UK and they will be getting TV from their own satellite service. Some people will be paying for content and will have card to configure. Some people will be trying to get satellite services from more than one satellite using multiple LNBs attached to the same dish. Some people will have motorised dishes. Some people will be attempting to pirate pay TV services (but will not get any help on the VIX forums)

UK cable problems seem to be insufficient signal because it has been (passively) split too much (easy to rectify) and because its a pay TV service putting in the correct subscription details.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 May 2006 Posts: 60
Will the 5810 be immune to the changes to broadcasting in 2017 (the death of Freeview SD?) that will render the 5800 obsolete?

I've been thinking about trying to get hold of a 5810 for a while now and am in two minds about it.

On the one hand I love my 5800 and really don't want to swap to anything else because nothing else does the same job in the same way quite as well from what I've read. AS it stands the 5800 just does the job and does it very very well and I have no overwhelming desire for it to do anything more than it does right now, and if the 5810 can do a similar job then that's for the good. But on the other hand though it would be nice to have more up to date functionality in an STB (specifically IP network connectivity, but also extra computing power and scalability for things like IPTV / streaming etc) - although that said, extra CPU cycles doesn't mean a lot if the functionality employing that CPU grunt doesn't pass muster.

So is the 5810 an option post 2017 (if that is the date that Freeview SD "dies")?

Of course the other thing is actually finding a 5810 for sale...

ccs
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2587
Is freeview SD really dying in 2017? I doubt it.

But if it does, a 5810 will be as dead as a 5800.

ccsx
mstombs
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 938
Only benefit of 5810 is hdmi out? Firmware leaves less ram for taps, so you need to be more brutal with channel pruning.