Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Adding a discrete "power on" code to the TF5000PVR

Page 1 of 1
electrophagos
Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
For those who have some basic skills in electronics, I have written an article on how to add a "power on" code to the TF5000PVR or any other device by adding a second IR decoder that will "listen" in parallel to the IR receiver's output and power up the device explicitely only when it was in standby mode upon reception of a freely selectable "power on" code.

The "power on" code can be useful in macro sequences of programmable infrared remote control units.

The article is available here.

Last edited by electrophagos on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
simonc
Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
Any thoughts whether the same principle could be applied to power on using an RS232 signal?
electrophagos
Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
simonc wrote:
Any thoughts whether the same principle could be applied to power on using an RS232 signal?

If you find a decoder that will generate a pulse when receiving a certain RS232 command, or program a microcontroller to do this, this should be possible. The pulse must be long enough to be detected as an emulated "key press" - a few 100ms should be fine.

MAYBE the IR decoder is flexible enough to "learn" even RS232 codes (connecting its input to a "MAX232 family" RS232 transceiver's output), but I doubt it, the modulation scheme is very different (~38kHz modulation for IR codes, baseband for RS232).
alain coste
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to thank electrophagos for his idea on how to add a discrete on/off.
I own a SRP2401CI+ (model sold in France), and the situation was worse than for TF5000, as it has neither discrete on nor discrete off (the trick for the TF5000 doesn't work as the SRP2401 rejects all codes above $7F).
The software solution RemoteSwitch didn't work, as this TAP is not available for the SRP2401.
So, for me, the hardware way was the good one. As I needed 2 SPST and 1 SPDT switches, I replaced the DG403 with a 74HC4053, and now I enjoy my remote controller not going out of sync with the SRP2401.

And for the coming days some more work to implement the same on the two other devices of my hifi system which don't have discrete codes....