Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  Sunday 24th - new features and tweaks

Page 1 of 1
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:31 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Following the memory upgrade during the week, on Sunday there will be some more changes to the site, bringing extra features online.

I'll post explaining about those when they're live; for now though, this is advance warning that there may be some glitches around midday, as parts of the databases are re-arranged to help take advantage of the extra server memory.

Nigel.

Last edited by nwhitfield on Wed May 04, 2005 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
New features rolled out today include the following:

1. Bug list.
http://www.toppy.org.uk/bugs.php

This new feature provides an organise list of bugs and feature requests, with links back to the relevant forum threads. There are two versions - an overview, which is available to everyone, and a detailed view, which is available to registered forum users, via the Services section of the site. I'll post more about this in the Bugs forum.

2. Donations.
http://www.toppy.org.uk/donate.php
There's a new page explaining how people can get involved and offer their help, or just make a small donation if they prefer.

Additionally, there are the management-side pages that support the bugs system, and some minor cosmetic changes. The site databases have been re-unified on the single server, and the database configuration tweaked to help make best use of the addditional memory installed last week.

Nigel.
kieronishere
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Apr 2005 Posts: 41
Can't get access to the services area so can't look at the list of bugs.
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Can you give a little more information, please.

What happens when you try to log in to the Services section? Does it just return you to the login page, or does it update the index page to say 'Welcome, keironishere' ?

If you get that far, what then happens if you try to click on the Bugs or Files links? You should see a page indicating that your account is being set up.

Let me know and I'll look at this when I get home later today.

Nigel.
kieronishere
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I get the welcome kieronishere bit but then if I click on one of the links like settings or bugs it just immediately reloads the page I was already on i.e. /services/index.php. I have a problem at the moment with clicking links inside a forum thread not working and e.g. clicking on one of the tap links for more information doesn't work. Think it might be to do with java?
kieronishere
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
just checked with a colleagues PC which doesn't exhibit the problem with links not working. I still can't get past the welcome kieronishere bit, just keeps returning me to that page.
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
If it's returning you to the page after you've logged in, then the service director script, which checks if you're properly logged in, isn't working correctly.

I think I can see what the problem with that is, and I'll check in a change to the director script - which only affects new users in this instance - by 6pm.

As for links in the forums, that's not a java issue, I think, but Javascript, and also possibly a pop-up blocker in your browser, stopping sites from opening new windows.

Thanks for pointing this out to me - it's hard to debug properly without feedback.

Nigel.
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Now fixed, tested as working ok from a PC.

Nigel.
kieronishere
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, now has allowed me to sign in from my home PC (which also has the problem with some links not working) I've got rid of google toolbar but anyway it's a topic for somewhere else, thanks for the hints