Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Newbie fitting hard drive.. err .. help

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
juwlz
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
giza2020 wrote:
But just so I can be sure.. if I set up this TAP when I change channels does the live buffer channel automatically 'record' this channel and take it away from the 'live buffer' and then the buffer becomes the channel I've turned over to?
Yes. Read the information in the link, and the thread that THAT links to Wink.
Quote:
While your here I just wanted to check something about channel delete.. Now I've installed Mystuff I am wanting to be sure I've deleted all the unwanted channels correctly, and I think I want to do a new rescan and set it all up properly again (bit of a rush the 1st time) ... so if I go to rescan and then delete all the channels do I need to reboot the toppy to register the deletion of channels? and is a reboot just a matter of pressing the standby button on the front of the toppy?
If you're going to do it manually, do a Factory Reset first to delete all the channels before you start.

You could use FastScanGUI to do the scan (which will restrict the scan to only your local transmitter, so that you don't get duplicates in the first place) and/or you could use Channel Organiser to delete duplicates and other unwanted channels, and remember which ones to delete next time you have occasion to do it. Either of these two will effectively Factory Reset on your behalf.

I would strongly recommend rebooting after you've done any channel tinkering, as MyStuff (quite reasonably) assumes that you'll still have the same channels that you had when you started up, so may crash if you've deleted some of them while it's running.

And yes, just press Standby to shut down and Standby again or OK to start up. (Or use the On/Off switch on the remote.)

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
giza2020
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Juwlz

Will the factory reset lose Mystuff? Will I need to reinstall it again?
juwlz
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
giza2020 wrote:
Will the factory reset lose Mystuff? Will I need to reinstall it again?
No. All it loses is your timers (which MyStuff will recreate anyway) and some of the TV connection settings.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
giza2020
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Juwlz

If I have anyother questions I'll now post them on rel threads (after reading FAQ etc)

Not sure if I can close this thread?
toppuff
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
Make sure you do not accidentally touch the shiny aluminium heatsink on the power supply unit when tinkering. Unplug from the wall first and LEAVE for 2 minutes before you start working inside. Otherwise you'll be in for a nasty 300 volt electric shock!

Does this voltage from the heatsink eventually completely dissipate and, if so, how quickly?

Is there a way of discharging it?
ryclark
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
Should have discharged itself after a few minutes. Leave ten if you want to be sure but nothing harmful to either the Toppy or yourself after a couple of minutes or so. Quicker discharge use a 1K resistor to chassis perhaps.

?
andyfras
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
Once you unplug your Toppy from the mains, by the time you have removed the cover it will be safe.

If R1 on the PSU is working correctly, the voltage is discharged to a safe level within 20 seconds. If it isn't, the voltage will never discharge - until you touch it. I've had a PSU in the post that has given me a shock when I unpacked it. Note that this is very rare, I've only ever seen 2 PSUs with this fault (the PSU does not work at all when R1 is open-circuit).

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
toppuff
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
ryclark wrote:
Should have discharged itself after a few minutes. Leave ten if you want to be sure but nothing harmful to either the Toppy or yourself after a couple of minutes or so. Quicker discharge use a 1K resistor to chassis perhaps.

Thank you for your rapid response!