Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  All my timers show a clash!

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
alan_m
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3511
Quote:
I tested out Altair before I tried the download. Not only was I able to see the files on the toppy, but I could copy new ones too. So, I don't think it can be faulty USB connection.

Perhaps Altair was still running when TDFD_USB was attempting to use the USB connection. Try rebooting the PC before using TDDN_USB in order to ensure any other applictaion running on the PC has released the port.

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 May 2006 Posts: 151
juwlz wrote:
You could try disconnecting the hard drive and installing EmptySettings. That might get you past the immediate problem.

Once you hook up the drive again, if it still appears to be corrupt, you'll need to install TopfHDRW on a PC, take the drive out of the Toppy, and hook it up directly to the PC (e.g. using a caddy). That should allow you to fix any drive corruptions.

Firebirdlib is used by a number of TAPs. I'm not sure what the temp file is though.

Julie

I've opened up the toppy, unplugged the hard drive and closed it up again. I've connected it to the TV via the skart cable, to the aerial and to my laptop via the USB cable. I've tried to download both EmptySettings and the recommended 5810 firmware, switching on at the mains. The results have been mixed.

* The toppy booted up with the normal C457/loading/run sequence, i.e., the firmware was not downloaded.

* As before, the 'reset' message came up. The Good News, however, is that it responded to the ok button this time, and put me in the menu.

* I couldn't get out of the menu, presumably because it wasn't tuned in. I did do a factory reset, in case the first one was a mirage.

* So, I tried to tune it in, with mixed results: a few channels did tune in (all rubbish).

* I tried again to download some fresh firmware, but with no change, i.e., it didn't download.

So, without the hard-drive, the toppy is acting as a tuner. But I can't install firmware, so that is clearly not the only problem. I have the TopfHDRW program on my PC and a caddy (from a previous dodgy hard-drive episode) , so I'll take the hard-drive right out and see what I can lear. I already know that the recordings are still showing on the disk (via Altair). Is there functionality on TopfHDRW to identify any bad disk area? I'm loath just to reformat it and lose all my recordings.

Thanks

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4422
Suggest you do a manual tune of a single mux rather than a full scan (choose the one with BBC1 on and remember to do a Reset first to get rid of the other channels)

If you can't get BBC 1 then this probably indicates an issue with the toppy or a signal issue (rather than the disk, although that may have been corrupted).

Note: As you can get to the system menus, you don't need to use EmptySettings.tfd; that is just a means of getting control when you can't get to the System Menu.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
juwlz
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
If you're struggling to find channels, that would point to either an aerial or cabling problem, or an issue with the tuners (which is most likely a PSU problem).

Scanning is a "high stress" activity for the tuners, so it's not uncommon for them to fail during tuning (or rather for the PSU component(s) powering the tuner to fail). It's the first Toppy failure I ever experienced. A PSU repair was enough to resurrect it.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Bundy
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Suggest you do a manual tune of a single mux rather than a full scan (choose the one with BBC1 on and remember to do a Reset first to get rid of the other channels)

If you can't get BBC 1 then this probably indicates an issue with the toppy or a signal issue (rather than the disk, although that may have been corrupted).

Manual tuning is my default. I first tried manually tuning two muxes (27 & 24), but got nothing on either of them. I then tried an auto scan to see if it could find anything. The lowest number channel it found was #10 ITV3. I couldn't find BBC1 or any of the terrestial channels.

The TV I was using to display the toppy had all the terrestial channels and used the same antenna socket for the aerial wire. So, I don't think it could be a signal problem. I think it must be an issue with the toppy.

Thanks

Bundy
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
If you're struggling to find channels, that would point to either an aerial or cabling problem, or an issue with the tuners (which is most likely a PSU problem).

Scanning is a "high stress" activity for the tuners, so it's not uncommon for them to fail during tuning (or rather for the PSU component(s) powering the tuner to fail). It's the first Toppy failure I ever experienced. A PSU repair was enough to resurrect it.

I forgot to mention that I had a look at the capacitors when I had the case open. They all looked fine, i.e., none of the 'doming' I was warned to look for, but I'm no expert, so I may have missed something.

If it's a PSU failure, as you suggest, is the solution to buy a new PSU and replace the old one? Is this the kind of thing that an electronics novice, like myself, could attempt himself, or do I need to get professional help?

Thanks

andyfras
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
Bundy wrote:
If it's a PSU failure, as you suggest, is the solution to buy a new PSU and replace the old one? Is this the kind of thing that an electronics novice, like myself, could attempt himself, or do I need to get professional help?

If you can solder, it's fairly simple job to replace the capacitors from a kit (which I can supply). Alternatively, you could send it for repair by me or anyone else offering the service.

As you are not seeing any 'doming' of the capacitors in your 5810 PSU, it's probably OK for a while. Note that generally, capacitors in 5800 PSUs do not dome as they fail.

As your Toppy is finding some channels when retuning, it strongly suggests that there is a problem with your aerial system rather than the Toppy.

I have answered both of your PMs, but you don't appear to have read them.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
alan_m
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3511
andyfras wrote:
As your Toppy is finding some channels when retuning, it strongly suggests that there is a problem with your aerial system rather than the Toppy.

Maybe Q14 on the motherboard if the PSU 30V line is very high?

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
alan_m wrote:
Maybe Q14 on the motherboard if the PSU 30V line is very high?

It wouldn't tune any channels in that case.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
rzw
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Posts: 63
Hi.

I have just experienced exactly the same problem on my 5810 (mystuff 6.4), however I am at satge one i.e. "All my timers show a clash". Everything seems to work although I cannot setup any recordings. I have removed all the timers but I still get the clash message!!

Any ideas? please help....

?
rzw
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
rzw wrote:
Hi.

I have just experienced exactly the same problem on my 5810 (mystuff 6.4), however I am at satge one i.e. "All my timers show a clash". Everything seems to work although I cannot setup any recordings. I have removed all the timers but I still get the clash message!!

Any ideas? please help....

A quick update. I can record when watching a program by pressing the record button, so basically the toppy appears to be fully functional.I just cannot set timers via my stuff

?
roga
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2006 Posts: 167
@rzw

Have you done a reset and retune limited only to your main transmitter?[/b]

?
rzw
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I seem to have fixed my issue not exactly sure how...

I deleted all timers (did not help)
Deleted the recording that was in progress when the toppy lost all its channels (did not help)
Then:
Deleted ~FireBirdLib.tmp~
Used channel organizer to rescan all UK channels and fix up timers
Deleted a couple of 'lnk' files, cannot remember which?
After these steps powered down and unplugged the toppy for 10min or so
Now it all works again. Not sure what caused the loss of channels and timer issue, however I expect 'Channel Organizer' fixed the issue

?