Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Toppy 5800 issues still....

Page 1 of 1
Dj4man
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,

Been a while since last being on here and ordering some capacitors from Andyfras.

Well, this morning I finally got around to replacing them. All went smoothly.

(I haven't had the Toppy connected to the mains for over 7 weeks)

So i plugged it into the mains and it came on straight away onto channel 3. (Would it really of remembered the channel setup?)

Anyway, the remote led on the toppy flashes when the remote is pressed but the unit takes a little age to respond.

Even when i turn it off by the remote, the channel number turns off but the unit stays on with the sound and vision on the tv for about 3 mins after before turning off.

Despite the signal quality being very high almost 100% the sound and vision is still distorted at times.

I've reset to factory settings, searched for all channels with and without 5v been added, no difference at all.

I updated the toppy before doing any work on it a few months ago via details from this forum.

What should mu next move be with this toppy? It's only going into my bedroom as we have sky+ hd downstairs.

Cheers,

Dan

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3471
Try disconnecting the HDD to see if your Toppy behaves normally as a receiver.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Dj4man
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
WOW!

What a difference, seems a lot more responsive and no interference on the sound and vision now.

So does that mean my HDD is goosed? Can it be ran without the HDD for a long time or not? I'm not too fussed about the HDD side. But then i suppose it defeats the object of having a PVR.

Dan

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3525
Dj4man wrote:

So does that mean my HDD is goosed

Possibly, or possibly the contents of the hard disk have been corrupted by a running the toppy with a faulty power supply. As you are contemplating running the Toppy without the hard disk you have nothing to lose by formatting it again in the Toppy. You will lose recordings and any TAPs because these are stored on the hard disk.

The Toppy can be run as a basic receiver without the hard disk.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Dj4man wrote:
Can it be ran without the HDD for a long time or not? I'm not too fussed about the HDD side. But then i suppose it defeats the object of having a PVR.
It can, but the overwhelming majority of disk problems are caused by a failing PSU. In fact, many things that LOOK like a disk failure are actually PSU failure, and fixing the PSU will resurrect an apparently failing hard drive.

Also, once a PSU is showing signs of failing, it will almost always deteriorate to total failure in a fairly short time. So, although in theory you COULD run it without the hard drive, you'd be better off fixing the underlying cause. See Toppy Repair service / parts for more detail and links.

Although you've already had a capacitor kit from Andy, there are sometimes some less common components in the PSU that can fail, which are not included in his standard kit. Of course, it could be that the drive really is failing, as a result of the damage done before you changed the capacitors.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
andyfras
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
It could be disk corruption from when the PSU was failing. Attaching the drive directly to a PC running TopfHDRW/Doctor may be able to fix it without losing your recordings.

Dj4man
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any recordings on it as it was formatted after i updated the firmware so i could start a fresh with it.

I also formatted it again today in the toppy and no difference.

So hopefully I can fix the HDD anyway using the above software?

Dan

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I think that there may be more serious problems with the disk than can be fixed with TopfHDRW/Doctor. Running the disk manufacturer's diagnostics may fix it, but it's a slim chance.

If possible, install the HDDInfo TAP. This can show hardware problems such as reallocated sectors, UDMA error count, or other errors.