Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Verifying files and folders

Page 1 of 1
Bundy
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 May 2006 Posts: 151
My toppy has started to go into the 'verifying files and folders' state rather more often than previously. Should I be worried about this, i.e., is it an indication of some chronic problem that is likely to get steadily worse until the toppy breaks completely?

Is there some remedial action I should be taking?

Thanks.

andyfras
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
Has your Toppy had its PSU capacitors replaced yet?

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Bundy
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 May 2006 Posts: 151
andyfras wrote:

No. Is this a sign that it needs replacing?

Wallace
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Mar 2008 Posts: 911
I would say almost certainly the PSU capacitors need replacing, yes.

A PM to andyfras might be in order.

Last edited by Wallace on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

?
andyfras
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
Bundy wrote:
andyfras wrote:

No. Is this a sign that it needs replacing?

If your forum join date is an indicator of the age of your Toppy, it's over 6 years old and in need of some new capacitors.

PM sent to Bundy.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
MickKi
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Aug 2008 Posts: 203
It is worth noting that life expired/degraded PSU capacitors may be a contributor to this problem and for older Toppies it should be the first thing to address.

However, having replaced my capacitors and seen some improvement in responsiveness to the remote control (they were not completely shot yet), I still get the 'verifying files and folders' error. I noticed that if I boot the Toppy, wait for it to load MyStuff et al, then shut it down as soon as the MS channel banner disappears, I get the 'verifying files and folders' error when I reboot. If I wait for a few minutes after the channel banner disappears, before I shut it down, then the error does not occur.

I wonder if this has something to do with an EPG scan running straight after the taps are loaded and shutting it down interrupts EPG data being written to the disk ungracefully. I would think that the shutdown process should allow the writing to the disk to complete, or in any case stop cleanly the writing process before it shuts down the OS, but this does not seem to happen. Having lost files due to a corrupt filesystem twice so far, I am nervous to try this too many times. I am pretty confident though that this is a repeatable error and I have observed on two different disks - so I don't want to blame it on the hardware at this stage.

Have you observed this too?

TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy+EvPeUWf
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 7/11/15
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4422
When the toppy starts, it writes a flag to the disk to say that the file system is in use. When it shuts down cleanly, this flag is cleared to show that everything worked properly.
If the flag is still set when the toppy next starts, this indicates that it crashed/didn't shut down cleanly and this triggers the VF&F.

As I understand it, EPG2MEI waits 5 minutes after toppy startup before it starts collecting data i.e. it shouldn't be writing any EPG files in this time. From your description, it sounds as though you are shutting it down while MyStuff is still starting up. I would not expect a VF&F under these circumstances.

You could try removing the Power Restore tap to see if it maps a difference (the recommended firmware already includes the [P] Power Restore patch).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
MickKi
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Aug 2008 Posts: 203
Thanks Geoff, I will try this suggestion and see if it makes a difference. I have been using the Power Restore tap because we suffer from power cuts in my area, particularly in the winter. Following a power cut the Power Restore tap shuts down the machine, while the [P] patch does not, that's why I have been using it.

PS. I thought that once the MyStuff channel banner shows up the MyStuff tap has finished its starting up/loading process?

TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy+EvPeUWf
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 7/11/15
juwlz
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
MickKi wrote:
I thought that once the MyStuff channel banner shows up the MyStuff tap has finished its starting up/loading process?
Yes, it has. Don't forget that lots of other things get started too, including MyInfo, which starts writing your log straight away (to say it's waiting for TAPs to settle) and then has a 2(?) minute delay before it starts writing the rest of your log to disk, and generally starts doing this at around the same time that you see the MyStuff channel banner.

Even if MyInfo is the culprit (and it's pure conjecture anyway), given that MyInfo Runs on startup and exits, there doesn't seem to be much reason for it to take unusual measures, as it's not normal use pattern to start up a Toppy and shut it down again almost straight away.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012