Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Helped Wiped Hard Disk I think

Page 1 of 1
wattie
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
My beloved Toppy has frozen. When switched on BBC 1 comes on with the Mystuff bar shown but is locked. When I press the standby button I get a single dot on the display. I have tried powering off but this has had no impact. I have connected the hard disk to my pc and used TOPHDRW although the hard disk appear in devie manager and I am running in administrator mode TOPHDRW does not detect a Toppy hard disk. Is there anything I can do to recover the disk or indeed format it. The disk is a WD10EZRX and is only a few months old and yes my capcitors have been replaced. This is the second time I have had a disk wipe in a few months.

?
juwlz
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
There is a known bug in the firmware (one that isn't well enough understood to be able to fix it) that can wipe the disk when trying to record from a channel with a poor quality signal. This includes watching such a channel with timeshifting enabled.

The only sure way to avoid it is to delete any channels with poor signal quality from your Toppy. It's good practice to delete all duplicates and any channels you don't want anyway, to improve both memory management and performance. It's also a good idea to use one of the tools available (e.g. FastScanGUI, Channel Organiser or TopManager for Windows) to ensure that you only scan for channels from a single transmitter to help keep things running smoothly.

Others may be able to help with TopfHDRW, but in the past I've had more joy using it under WinXP. Win7 has tended to be a bit hit and miss.

However if you can't use TopfHDRW to recover anything, formatting the drive is easy - put it back in the Toppy, start up TAPless (hold down the zero key while the Toppy is starting up), and format from the main Toppy menu. It's almost instant.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
MickKi
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Aug 2008 Posts: 203
Just like the OP I just lost my recordings, for a second time within a year, because of this bug!

Before the digital switchover I was getting crashes because a few MUXes had weak signal. After the switchover no more crashes that I can recall. The signal on all channels has been strong enough it seems. So I thought that this problem was gone for good.

However, over the last couple of nights there's been some crashes it seems (I discovered that some recordings did not complete the night before). This morning I woke up to a toppy asking me to format the drive! I exited it, tried to shut it down normally and when it would not shut down I pulled the plug.

When it rebooted ALL my data had gone. Sad

Is there a way of recovering the partition table and hence the data from drive? If not, is there perhaps another way of recovering the files using dd and grep for file headers?

I've lost hundreds of cooking programs and my wife will kill me! Shocked

PS. Could this problem be related to 4G trials performed on the airwaves?

TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy+EvPeUWf
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 7/11/15
andyfras
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
MickKi wrote:
Is there a way of recovering the partition table and hence the data from drive?

Only by removing the disk from your Toppy and connecting it to a PC running TopfHDRW/Doctor.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4492
If you are going to attempt a repair then you should not use the toppy until it has been done (I suppose you could use it as a simple freeview box if you disconnect the disk).
I had a similar problem 2-3 weeks ago. When I tried to recover the files, there wasn't anyting worth recovering - but you may be lucky.

If your pc is too new to fit the toppy disk in, I used this USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE FOR HDD CD DVD ROM WITH UK POWER ADAPTER

It arrived extremely quickly but had a faulty UK power cable (the 2 pin cable worked fine with a continental adapter). They promptly gave me 40% refund to keep it (no problem for me as I had a similar UK cable anyway).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
MickKi
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Thanks guys. I've used TopfHDDoctor to run a filesystem check. It came back with loads of:
Code:
Date      : Thu 02.08.2012 18:37:43
Application   : TopfHDDoctor
Version      : V0.20.4
Error      : 9
Description   : Subscript out of range
Source      : Project1
Procedure   : fsck_04_ScanDirectories
LineNumber   : 7250
Stack   : fsck_04_ScanDirectories - Menu_File_PerformChecks_Click
---RETRY pressed---

I got the above as I pressed Retry, but nothing happened. Then I pressed Ignore and same result. The only change was "LineNumber : 7250" which would change to "LineNumber : 7450" and back again every time I pressed the Ignore button.

I've now started a file scan and match (or something like that). It scanning the drive for mpeg headers. It's about 1/5th through but is not listing anything yet.

Do I stand a chance for recovering my recordings (and timers) or is it a gonner? Sad

TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6;
andyfras
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
wattie wrote:
my capcitors have been replaced.

How many, when, and with what type?

MickKi wrote:
Do I stand a chance for recovering my recordings (and timers) or is it a gonner? Sad

You stand a good chance of recovering some of them. The problem may be that if you didn't format the disk first, the recovered files will be written to a corrupted disk. Formatting does not reduce the chances of success with Scan & Match, as you might expect it to.

Once the files have been recovered, they must be 'Write Recovered' to the disk. They will all have today's date and unusable titles. You can delete any files that are too small to be viable (<100MB).

I find that putting the disk back in the Toppy, using the 'i' button to get the real title, then editing the archive title using Altair/Antares is the best way to do this.

MickKi
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:

You stand a good chance of recovering some of them. The problem may be that if you didn't format the disk first, the recovered files will be written to a corrupted disk. Formatting does not reduce the chances of success with Scan & Match, as you might expect it to.

Oh! I am probably following the wrong process for recovery then?

I thought that formatting the drive would zero it out. Are you saying it will only create a new partition table, but leave the rest of the filesystem in place?

andyfras wrote:

Once the files have been recovered, they must be 'Write Recovered' to the disk. They will all have today's date and unusable titles. You can delete any files that are too small to be viable (<100MB).

OK, I'm holding my breath that it will recover something. The initial fs scan only came back with a single recording.

Is it worth cancelling the scan, formatting (how? using TopfHDDoctor or putting it back in the Toppy) and then repeating the scan?

andyfras
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
If your Toppy can see the disk and can format it, then do that; otherwise format in TopfHDDoctor first, then in the Toppy.

A format does not delete the files, only the allocation table.

MickKi
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Good news! Smile

The TopfHDRW managed to recover a load of files (thousands?!!) with garbled names.

I have not saved them back on the disk, because I had not formatted before I started the scan. What is the best course of action now?

a) Put it back in the Toppy and format it, then repeat the scan & match exercise?

b) Or save the recovered & garbled title files on this disk as is now (unformatted)?

Thanks again for your help!

andyfras
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
If you intend to use the same disk, you'll have to format it, so you'll need to repeat the process AFAIK.

If you're going to copy the files to another disk, it should be OK to 'Write Recovered' to the existing disk..

MickKi
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Spoke too early. Sad

Unfortunately the files were mere fragments of recordings, a few megabytes at best. Most of them looked like the buffers before a recording started. Even those few that had a properly recovered title, were only a few minutes long.

It's beyond me why anyone would choose a fragile filesystem like this DOS based concoction, in this day and age.

I also ran dd on the drive in the off-chance that it'll pick up any .rec headers, but gave up a few minutes later because I didn't want to waste any more time. From previous experience this did not work last time either.