Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  TF 5100 PVRc HDMI HD Upgrade -> controls do not work

Page 1 of 1
AndersG
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
TF 5100PVRc HDMI, Firmware 3.40

The PSU was faulty (voltages off spec) so the original disk stopped working. PSU is now repaired and the original disk is readable. I also tried another 250Gb PATA disk. I would however like to replace it with a 1Gb one. I have a WD 1Gb WD10 EZRX and the DealExtreme PATA-SATA adapter that most people seem to use (Jumper as Master) . The box recognises the disk and asks to format it. The format operation never ends though (works OK on a PATA 250Gb Drive, takes approx a minute). If I powercycle the box, it briefly flashes "verifying files" and then runs, but does not take any commands, neither from remote, nor from from panel or even serial. I tries the aforementioned 1Gb drive and an 80Gb SATA one, same thing.

If I plug one of these drives into a PC, then I can read them with TopfHDRW just fine. It is just that that box does not agree with them.

Any ideas? I guess that I can live with a PATA disk, but it annoys the heck out of me that others have gotten SATA to work.... Smile
andyfras
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3470
Have you used the reversed 80 way cable between the mainboard and adapter? (motherboard socket to adapter, grey socket to mainboard).

I also recommend a jumper on 5-6 to limit the data speed.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
AndersG
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I have used the original IDE cable and a 80-way one, but I never tried reversing it. You mean, assuming an 80-way IDE with two disk connectors, to put the middle one into the motherboard and the blue one (that normally goes into the PC motherboard) into the adapter?

Also, when you say pin 5-6, you mean on the disk? I have a jumper on 7-8

Edit: Using a reversed cable as above improved things. The disk now works, but playback quality is bad. Lots of dropouts and pixellations. Is the cable too long? It is approx 28cm between the blue connector and the first black IDE one. Does not seem to matter how I jumper the disk though.

Edit2: The thick plottens.... I tried another 80-way cable (also salvaged from scrapped computers). This puppy is close to a meter long. Has one blue mobo-connector, then two light blue 40-way and two black 40-way. When using that cable and either the first light-blue or last black one, playback works perfectly??

I guess that I will go to the shop tomorrow and see what 80-way cables they have, I prefer a short one. I also assume that it would be good karma to put a ferrite (those that can be opened to slide over flatcable) over the cable?
alan_m
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3524
AndersG wrote:

I guess that I will go to the shop tomorrow and see what 80-way cables they have, I prefer a short one. I also assume that it would be good karma to put a ferrite (those that can be opened to slide over flatcable) over the cable?

If you have a 80 way cable with three connectors cut the ribbon cable at one of the connectors to lose the long end. Use a sharp stanley/craft knife and inspect the cut end with a digital camera in digital zoom mode to make sure there are no strands of wire shorting. When reversing the cable you have to "drill" out the blanking plug but the plug is usually only a thin bit of plastic covering the hole and can be pushed through with a nail, compass point etc.

A ferrite shouldn't be necessary.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
OK. I take it that I can use the first connector, counting from the blue one? I was under the impression that (unlike regular 40-way) the 80-way are not strictly wired in parallell, ie that one is dedicated master and one is dedicated slave on an 80-way cable? Or am I mistaken?

Edit: Cut the cable with an X-acto knife with a fresh blade. Checked for shorts, using a stereo microscope. Assembled. Runns fine now. I might add that ferrite anyway, and put a 50mm quiet fan under the HD, just in case (not so much to cool the HD, just that it is the only place where it will fit)
alan_m
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3524
AndersG wrote:
I might add that ferrite anyway, and put a 50mm quiet fan under the HD, just in case (not so much to cool the HD, just that it is the only place where it will fit)

See the recent posting "Fan fitting tips required" in the general discussion section of these forums.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! I will look it up. As for the disk replacement.....

I had everything in place and tested and then the next time I started it it asked if I wanted to format.... Sigh, pulled the disk, plugged it into PC and RAN topfhdrw, all was there, corrected some errors. Put it back powered on all was fine, powercycle... "do you want to format?". Did this a few times, then replaced the cable yet again. Appears to work now, but that cable is so long I cannot fit it under the hood Sad