Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Can't manual tune

Page 1 of 1
alpine*
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2007 Posts: 84 Location: Rayleigh Crystal Palace Tx
Since the Crystal Palace DSO I used fastscanGUI to retune having set it to 2012 but didn't pick up all the muxes just 3. So I removed fastscan from auto start rebooted and did a manual scan of the 5 muxes but only three were visible in the menu. Why would this be? In the end I factory reset and did an automatic scan and have all 5 muxes. When I went round parents theres was the same, only seeing 3 muxes manually.

Any ideas?

juwlz
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
FSG applies a "temporary" patch to your system so that even if you scan normally, it's restricted to the channels you previously chose.

To uninstall the patch, you need to Factory Reset, Reboot and Factory Reset again.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
alpine*
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2007 Posts: 84 Location: Rayleigh Crystal Palace Tx
Hmm, but I did previously choose CP 2012 so why would it miss 2 muxes out?

I would never have done a manual scan if it had correctly scanned 5 muxes!
Thanks juwlz

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4416
Both FastScanGUI and ChannelOrganiser restrict the channels that they scan to eliminate unwanted transmitters (which cause duplicate channels) and speed up the search.

FSG and CO use the same technique when scanning and, unfortunately, it doesn't always detect a mux (usually it misses the first but in my case it is the 2nd or 3rd plus the 5th). This is intermittent and a second scan may resolve it (and, for me, night time seems better than daytime). As you found, it is sometimes necessary to perform a full scan.

If you have a windows pc, try the new scanning mechanism in TopManager (link in my signature); when writing the tap, EMJB (the author of CO) has spent a lot of time trying to minimise missed muxes. You might still have to perform a band scan if channels aren't detected but this is at least done with a pc interface rather than a cumbersome toppy one. There is no need to bother with factory resets as they are performed transparently. Like CO, TM remembers which channels you previously deleted (in fact, it maintains the CO list of deleted channels) so this minimises what you need to do on a subsequent scan.

Cheers
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
alpine*
Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
Ah, I see.

Thanks for clearing that up Geoff