Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  The Dreaded Boot Loop

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4064
You can do the initial scan with FastScanGUI or ChannelOrganiser - I wouldn't recommend pulling the aerial out (I've had a slight shock when plugging a TV into into the wall socket). Manually deleting channels is prone to errors (have you removed the correct duplicate?) and is time consuming. Use ChannelOrganiser; it was probably installed on the toppy when you installed MyStuff (if not, use the TopManager "Tools|Install Files" menu)

The latest version of TopManager does scanning but that is temporarily disabled as it is causing problems on some users toppies (there are no problems with the non PcControl menus)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
juwlz
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10813 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
As I've just written it, you might like to read about Toppy memory management for MyStuff users, especially those with 5810s which have significantly less memory to play with than 5800s.

btw, if you want to check how much memory MyStuff is using on your machine before you start, the installer should have added TAP Commander to the Utilities folder.

I also recommend putting FastScanGUI in Auto Start and using that for your intial scan, followed by Channel Organiser to radically prune the number of channels on the Toppy. (I delete approximately two thirds of them on mine, which would be exceedingly tedious to do manually.)

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 May 2011 Posts: 166
Hi,

This topic doesn't seem to have been touched for about six years, and it's struck again... None of the suggested remedies are working for me, I have the 'dreaded' start-up loop. much as described before:
Switch on at the wall:
Toppy displays: Run, C457, Loading... Ad infinitum.

Running TFDN_USB.exe and selecting either EmptySettings.tfd or Recommended_5810.tfd has no obvious effect, certainly makes no difference to the 'Loop'.

Previous posting in this topic seem to suggest that it's not a power supply problem, although in my case if it could be, then it might well be.

Since there's been no discussion in this topic for over six years I wonder if the problem could be with TFDN_USB.exe and Windows 10 ?

Poppa.

Model: TF5810PVRt

andyfras
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3424
Have you tried disconnecting the HDD? If it then boots OK, it's disk corruption causing the problem.

If it's still stuck in the loop with the disk disconnected, then I suspect that Win10 update has broken the drivers for TFDN_USB.exe.

If you have successfully loaded the Z4T drivers you could use the Antares method for loading EmptySettings:

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/EmptySettings/

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4064
It probably isn't this but ...

Have you tried booting tapless i.e. pressing 0 key while it reboots?

If that works, temporarily move PcControl out of Auto Start and try a reboot.

(A long time ago, PCC could cause a continuous reboot when it tried to stop/restart EPG2MEI- it doesn't stop cleanly.)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
?
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
Have you tried disconnecting the HDD? If it then boots OK, it's disk corruption causing the problem.
If you have successfully loaded the Z4T drivers you could use the Antares method for loading EmptySettings:
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/EmptySettings/

Thanks for the reply Andy, I haven't 'opened the box' as yet, it was gone midnight here when I posted.
I'll try disconnecting the HDD when SWMBO gives me enough time... We're in the middle of moving house!

I have loaded Z4T successfully but... Toppy has to be 'running' before you can connect to Antares. Whilst in 'The loop' Toppy connects to my laptop, this connection only lasts for a few seconds (while Run is showing I think), then it disconnects. I had time to shoehorn Z4T in during that connection, but it's nowhere near long enough to connect to Antares, the laptop notification 'Beep' tells me it's trying.
Geoff Bacon wrote:
It probably isn't this but ... Have you tried booting tapless i.e. pressing 0 key while it reboots?
If that works, temporarily move PcControl out of Auto Start and try a reboot.
Geoff

Thanks for the reply Geoff, it's my belief that a 'Tapless Boot' can only be achieved from a restart from standby? I can't start Toppy, so I can't get into standby.
I have tried it of course, but it stays stuck in the 'Loop'.

Poppa.

andyfras
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
If you set up Antares with Empty Settings preloaded as described in the procedure, then switch the Toppy on from being powered off (at the mains if necessary), it should find it during that short connection window. However, my bet is on a disk problem.

Poppa Mintin
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh Bother !

Just remembered something which is probably relevant. I meant to mention it in my first post (But it was late, that's my story... and I'm sticking to it !)

The reason I switched Toppy off in the first place was to try a re-boot.
A couple of times whilst watching a playback, I got a warning across the screen saying (something along the lines of) 'Can't write to flash memory' so I wanted to re-boot to see if that would cure the problem.

Poppa.

andyfras
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
That may mean corrupted firmware then. Load new firmware using the Antares procedure.

TF5810 firmware here:

https://sites.google.com/site/andyfraserelectronics/freeview-and-satellite-recorder-repair/topfield-pvr-faults/Recommended_5810.tfd

alan_m
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3481
Poppa Mintin wrote:

I have loaded Z4T successfully but... Toppy has to be 'running' before you can connect to Antares.

For loading firmware or emptysettings the Toppy does NOT have to be fully up and running.

When a Toppy starts booting from cold it first looks for new firmware/emtptysettings on the USB link. If it doesn't find it it continues to boot up, and in your case this later stage of booting fails.

Both Antares and TFDN_USB can be (pre)loaded with new firmware/emptysettings whilst the Toppy is switched off. The Toppy is then switched on and immediately sees that Antares or TFDN_USB has new firmware/emptysettings to download. This causes the normal boot sequence to be abandoned in favour of reprogramming or resetting the Toppy.

Note: Very early versions of Antares didn’t support this early boot sequence programming.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
If you set up Antares with Empty Settings preloaded as described in the procedure, then switch the Toppy on from being powered off (at the mains if necessary), it should find it during that short connection window. However, my bet is on a disk problem.

alan_m wrote:
For loading firmware or emptysettings the Toppy does NOT have to be fully up and running.
When a Toppy starts booting from cold it first looks for new firmware/emtptysettings on the USB link. If it doesn't find it it continues to boot up, and in your case this later stage of booting fails.
Both Antares and TFDN_USB can be (pre)loaded with new firmware/emptysettings whilst the Toppy is switched off. The Toppy is then switched on and immediately sees that Antares or TFDN_USB has new firmware/emptysettings to download. This causes the normal boot sequence to be abandoned in favour of reprogramming or resetting the Toppy.
Note: Very early versions of Antares didn’t support this early boot sequence programming.

Thanks Andy,
I tried your suggestion and it did the trick, my Toppy is up and running again.

Thanks Alan,
As you can see Andy pointed me in the right direction, but thanks for the extra information.

Poppa.