<  Bugs  ~  PSU Repair - Latest Information

Page 4 of 18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
andyfras
Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3463
Well done Jim.

jimhoughton wrote:
I think the big clue that V1 was faulty was that it only had ~12V on pin 3 rather than the 50V I'd expected

There's actually a zener in V1 that holds pin 3 to 32V max.

Last edited by andyfras on Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
andymac66
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to add my thanks to andyfras for resurrecting my Toppy after the usual PSU capacitor failure. Andy fixed it within hours and arranged to send it back very promptly at a very reasonable cost.
brianw
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Just to briefly add my experience. My 5 year old Toppy 5800 was erratically becoming unresponsive. not allowing recording or showing the archive and sometimes not switching off properly. I sent the PSU to MikeP who turned it around the same day he received it, allowing to me to have my Toppy home for Xmas.
Thanks to Mike and also Nigel and all the forum contributors.
mcockerell
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 29 Aug 2005 Posts: 44
I too would like to thank andyfras for an excellent repair - I dropped my Toppy off just before Christmas and was able to collect it the following day.

A very reasonable price for a great service - thanks Andy.

andyfras
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I've recently fixed my first PSU with a failed V1 (power switching chip, KA1M0680R). Its owner had just replaced 15 capacitors (one of my kits with additional C12 & C14), having replaced the main 6 some time previously, but it was still dead.

I checked all the usual causes of a dead PSU, such as fuse, bridge, recovery diodes, and rectifier diodes. The voltage on pin 3 (across R3) was very low (it reads about 17V on a working PSU, but varies with load).

Fortunately I had ordered a batch of KA1M0680R a few weeks ago, so I was able to replace it and it did the trick.

I had checked C5 as a possible cause, but it was still within specification (I've not seen one fail yet).

There have been a few V1 failures reported on the forum recently. I suspect that when C9 starts to fail, it may allow voltage spikes into pin 3 of V1, which causes it to fail. If this is the case, PSUs, that have had only the main 6 capacitors changed, are at risk of blowing V1 sometime later.

aramil
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2006 Posts: 649 Location: Worcester, UK ; TX:Malvern Central
Many thanks To andyfras for his DIY PSU kit, Ideal for anyone handy with a soldering iron.

andyfras
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I have just repaired another Toppy where U51 had blown (literally, a hole in it).

The cause of this is when the PSU voltages go very high as the PSU capacitors fail. The 12V to the HDD can go up to 18V or more. There are over-voltage protection diodes fitted to HDDs to protect themselves from such excessive voltages. In extreme cases these diodes go short-circuit; this then blows the U51 chip on the mainboard (near the 4 pin power connector).

After doing DIY capacitor replacement, I strongly advise that you check for short-circuits on the HDD (if you have a meter). Check between the power pin nearest the edge and the pin next to it. If there is a short, do not connect the HDD to your Toppy, or anything else. The diode can be removed and the HDD will usually be OK, but it will be unprotected unless the diode is replaced.

dhtoppy
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Another recommendation for MikeP.
He has just fixed the PSU from my 5810. I chose the option of removing the unit and posting it to him but I could have taken the whole box to him.
He was very easy to deal with, answered my emails quickly and returned the repaired unit within a day of receiving it.
Big thanks to Mike and all the other forum posters
noddy
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Hello

I wonder if anyone can help.
I have just come home to my wife saying "what's up with the box?". It's dead no lights, no power. I have checked the obvious, fuse in the plug and opened the toppy up and checked the internal fuse - all OK.

I had a search on the forums for some tips and found this thread. I have tried to follow some of the diagnostic checking with a multimeter and I can confirm that I have no output power at all on the multi-pin plugs that link to the main board.

I have checked the power across R1 & R3 with the PSU board disconnected from the main-board. R1 ~315V & R3 ~13V (so same at pin3 of V1 ~13V).

I think I might have the same problem with V1 as jimhoughton who posted just before christmas.

My toppy is about 7 years old and has not missed a beat up until now. I have not replaced any components in the Toppy other than fit a larger 400GB hard-drive about 3-4years ago.

Can I ask how much it would cost to overhaul the power-supply?
Replace V1
Replace the capacitors

Thanks
alan_m
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3520
noddy wrote:

Replace V1
Replace the capacitors

Thanks

Find a post from Andy (andyfras) in this thread. Hit the PM (Personal Message) button in his signature and ask him how much he charges. He is recommended often in these forums by those who have used his repair service.
https://sites.google.com/site/andyfraserelectronics/home

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
noddy wrote:

Replace V1
Replace the capacitors

Thanks

Find a post from Andy (andyfras) in this thread. Hit the PM (Personal Message) button in his signature and ask him how much he charges. He is recommended often in these forums by those who have used his repair service.
https://sites.google.com/site/andyfraserelectronics/home

Thanks alan_m, I have done as you suggested.
Livy
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 584 Location: Fife, Scotland
My mums toppy is playing up a little recently, just checked the voltages.

Are these ok? or do i need psu refurbed.

Marked Measured
30v 31.3v
22v 25.2v
17v 17.5v
8v 7.9v
5v 4.9v
3.3v 2.9v
15v 15.9v

12v 12.6v

The box keeps reseting the channels and loses all channels. ive reflashed the firmware, done an empty settings and factory reset aswell.

• Connected via Buffalo Linkstation Live 2TB
ryclark
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
3.3V is too low and 5V, although within spec, looks as if it is starting to decline.

?
MikeyP
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
3v3 rail is definitely too low , this PSU needs caps , and needs doing before damage to main board

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
delboyuk
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Oct 2005 Posts: 568 Location: Winchester Transmitter: Rowridge
I just wanted to add my support and thanks to Andy Fraser (andyfras) for the PSU repair he did on my ancient 5800 yesterday.

I PM'd Andy via this Forum on Monday with the problem that the hard disk was not being recognised after a number of power outages by Southern Electric the previous day.

He responded almost immediately, confirming my suspicions that the PSU was the likely problem (still running original caps on this very early model purchased in 2005). Not bad going really for a machine that has been used daily for the last 6+ years.

A few emails later and Andy offered/agreed to fix the Toppy 'while i waited' as a i don't live too far away. I thought this was an excellent solution (saving on postal delays & costs), but foolishly decided to take my wife along shopping whilst Andy worked his magic.

2 hours later the shopping and the repair were complete. The repair was excellent value - not so the wife shopping in M&S nearby!!!

After a full re-installation of MyStuff 6.4 with the default associated Taps the Toppy is back to normal. Razz

So, many thanks to Andy for his excellent, speedy and value for money repair service. I would highly recommend him.

Derek

HD PVR: Humax HDR-FoxT2
[Profile last updated 09Jan2012]