Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Might the MyStuff UI ever be ported to other devices?

Page 1 of 1
noncom
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Sep 2006 Posts: 542
Hi

It's a question for BobD, really...... Very Happy

I was looking for a while at the possibility of replacing our Toppies with something HD and networkable. Those plans have now actually been put on hold for a while due to finances, but I was leaning towards building an HTPC and installing something like MediaPortal.

That would give me all the flexibility, multiple tuners, HD, music and photo space etc I need. But looking at the TV recording capability of Media Centre software, it all seems to lag behind what we have on the Toppy with MyStuff.

There's a secondary application called For The Record which can act as a plug-in to Media Portal and provides some similar Text Search / Series link type functionality.

But it's just not as clever from what I can see. Media Portal doesn't seem to pay any attention to the AR flags, so there's no Accurate Bookmarking or Extend. For The Record doesn't seem to look at the CRID data, so there's no proper SS / PS equivalent (it seems to rely on episode description info and numbers for Repeat avoidance).

It's a lot of money to pay to build a system which might actually end up worse for everyday TV recording and watching...... so.......

Is it even technically feasible that the wonderful UI and timer/CRID/AR logic that MyStuff employs could or would be ported to another device such as an HTPC? Could it be rewritten as a plugin for something like MediaPortal (or XBMC, whatever)?

I know MyStuff is completely Bob's child, and I respect completely that it's entirely up to him which way development goes. But as HD becomes more mainstream, and therefore the SD devices which currently run MyStuff become closer to obsolescence, I just wondered if there's a RoadMap to take the best ideas of MyStuff forward to something like an HTPC solution. I for one would be happy to pay a reasonable fee for such software.

Happy Christmas to one and all.
noncom

juwlz
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
While we're waiting for BobD ...

It's something we've talked about a bit within the team, but MyStuff is heavily dependent on the Toppy firmware and API, and quite a lot of what it does is working around bugs in the Toppy firmware, so the concept of porting MyStuff to some other platform is pretty much a non-starter.

What **MIGHT** happen is that BobD ***MIGHT*** be prepared to use the principles of the way MyStuff works to write a plug-in / add-on / front end for some other platform. Of course, as long as his Toppy (and, to some extent, those of other members of the MyStuff team) keep running, his incentive and motivation will be a tad low, so don't hold your breath. After all, he wrote it for himself in the first place, and although he's open to suggestions, features he wants himself tend to be those that make it into MS.

... which is fair enough, of course (as long as he succumbs to bullying every once in a while Wink).

Maybe we'll all end up with some sort of HTPC solution with MyStuff features - but even then we still have to agree on Windows vs. Linux Wink.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
noncom
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
Thanks Juwlz.

(I thought I'd replied last night, but for some reason my post isn't showing. Probably my fault)

All fair comment - I understand entirely that BobD doesn't owe anyone any favours on this. If he decides to leave MyStuff as it is on the Toppies and never take it any further, I will have no complaints, and nothing but gratitude for it having made the experience of being a Toppy owner so much better.

And I accept your correction of my use of the term "porting". Not being a programmer, I think I meant it more in the sense of your second paragraph. In terms of how much of the code could be re-used or directly translated for another platform, I would have no idea.... but from a User's point of view, the important thing is the logic behind Accurate Bookmarking, PowerSearches, AutoFiling, Clash Resolution and Series Priorities etc.

As for Windows vs Linux, I have no strong feelings either way. I chose to look at MediaPortal (Windows based) for two reasons: 1) I know something about Windows and almost nothing about Linux, and 2) I have a Windows system I can test it out on to see how well it performs before building a dedicated PC.

If something with the Must-Have features of MyStuff were to make it to a HTPC platform, and people in the know like BobD and R2-D2 tell me it's going to be a Linux project, then I'd be happy to follow that crowd!

Cheers for now
noncom

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
In the meantime, not that I've gone any further than the occasional read of the website, here's a promising candidate...

http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage

Main site...

http://www.nextpvr.com

Last edited by HydeTheDarkerSide on Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
noncom
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I shall take a look.....

gomezz
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3985 Location: Buckingham
No mention of DVB-T2/MPEG4 which seems to count it out?

noncom
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Some of the forum posts seem to suggest that DVB-T2 works,,,,,

eg post 27:

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?49676-NextPVR-Supported-Capture-Cards/page3

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Bit out of my depth until I study some more but I thought the stream was more to do with the tuner and the drivers for tuner than the PVR software; in as much as, if the tuner driver supports the same API as used by the PVR software it should work.

So for example, http://shop.blackgold.tv/epages/BT3159.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3159/Products/BGT3600 supports the "32 and 64 bit Broadcast Driver Architecture (BDA) WHQL drivers"; as does the PVR software. So if the tuner can pick up the signal, it'll be passed to any software using the BDA WHQL API.

I think Confused Wink

noncom
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
NextPVR looks interesting. Possibly a little less developed than MediaPortal, I'd say. Certainly fewer plugins etc.

But if it were possible to give it a "MyStuff makeover", pay attention to AR flags and CRID etc, then potentially a winner....?

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Have to say I'm so new to this area that I've not really researched that much so far. The two features that drew me to NextPVR was the record a mux feature. That is only use 1 tuner for any channel on that mux and record 2 or more of them at the same time. The other feature and probably where I saw Bobd's input, being the plugins.

However, I see that Mediaportal also allows plugins, so not much to differentiate on features but perhaps at the coding level one is better than the other?

Have to say that the screen shots for both products look remarkably similar Shocked

I wonder if there has been some fraction in the development team at some point? Wink

noncom
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Maybe, although I don't think so....... NextPVR seems to have come from the old GBPVR project, whereas MediaPortal is (I have hitherto assumed) American.

Not sure I can see as much similarity in the screenshots as you do anyway!

However, MP also will record-a-mux, so I'd guess that might be something that any HTPC / Media Centre could potentially do.

The Plugins do seem to offer an opportunity for some MyStuffification (if I may coin the phrase!), in terms of the EPG/Archive/Skin etc. However, things like Accurate Bookmarking/Series and Power Searches etc would seem to require deeper integration with the fundamental workings of the actual code which controls the tuners etc. I don't know how easy this would be.

I will install NextPVR at some point though, to try it out and compare it to MP.

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Would be very interested in how you get on as I'm at least 6 months away from going the HTPC route. Need a job first!

noncom
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I suspect I'm more than 6 months away, as I currently have a job but possibly won't have very soon...... Sad

Plus tbh, as I see it, any of the current options would be a step backwards from Toppy functionality in some ways. And that's difficult to justify...... Hence asking if there's any possibility of some of my favourite features being incorporated into those alternatives before I switch.

But, yes, I'll let you know how I get on.

noncom

juwlz
Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Based on the Geek Night presentation I went to a few months ago, NOT being able to record an entire mux is purely a software limitation, designed to save Support Desks from having to answer difficult questions from the uninformed who can't understand why, with 2 tuners, they can sometimes record 12 (or whatever) programmes (if the channels happen to be on the same 2 muxes) and sometimes only 2 (if the 3rd is on a different mux). So they keep it simple and enforce a limit of one recording per tuner because your average punter supposedly can't cope with anything more complex (!)

So there's no reason why any PC based solution shouldn't be able to do it. Especially if it's a self-install solution rather than a commercial boxed one, where at least they might hope the user base would be slightly more well informed about how TV transmissions are grouped by mux.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012