Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Toppy keeps losing channels

Page 1 of 1
sarevofaona
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,

I've got a 5800 with MyStuff 6.4 and all the extras. Every few days I come down to the machine and it's got MENU on the front panel and all of the channels are gone.

I seem to have good signal 'round here (too good because I have loads of duplicate channels if I don't manually scan for the muxes). It's a massive PITA deleting the tonnes of channels that I don't want/need every time (out of 119 channels I can get, I'm only wanting maybe 25).

People talk about MyInfo and Signal Monitor (or something like that) being a part of MyStuff 6.4 but I don't know how to manually invoke these. I don't see either listed in the list of running TAPs in "TAP Commander". MyInfo does pop up after an automatic scan - which I now avoid - but says it is unable to determine which of the duplicate channels to delete so only presents the option of rescanning.

So in summary, every few days I have to do a factory reset and then manually scan only for the muxes (e.g. frequencies) I'm interested in to avoid duplicate channels, then I go through the resulting channel list and delete (the very slow way) all of the cruft filler channels. Then wait a few days and the Toppy does it all over again. Sad

Any ideas:

a) why it's losing its channels all the time?
b) how to build a list of channels to automatically delete/exclude?
c) is there a faster UI than the Topfield native one for deleting channels manually?
d) is theree a quick way to find and expire/delete obsolete searches?

On that last point, I'm sure the series link stuff is dodgy and old searches of that type can end up recording any old junk if whatever UID it's based upon gets reused by some other program.

Many thanks Smile

Steve
alan_m
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3520
sarevofaona wrote:

People talk about MyInfo and Signal Monitor (or something like that) being a part of MyStuff 6.4 but I don't know how to manually invoke these.

Hit the archive button twice to get into the native Toppy archive screen,
press >> or << repeatedly to toggle between archive, MP3 and program files. Stop at program files.
Find the folder with the additional TAPs, highlight the name and press OK
Pressing exit should get you out of a manually started TAP

Quote:

I don't see either listed in the list of running TAPs in "TAP Commander". MyInfo does pop up after an automatic scan - which I now avoid - but says it is unable to determine which of the duplicate channels to delete so only presents the option of rescanning.

How are you starting TAP Commander?
It only shows running TAPs
The TAPs that have been placed into the Auto Start folder start up automatically every time the Toppy comes out of standby. You will not see the others until you have manually started them because they are considered to be "use once in a blue moon" type TAPs.

Quote:

So in summary, every few days I have to do a factory reset and then manually scan only for the muxes (e.g. frequencies) I'm interested in to avoid duplicate channels, then I go through the resulting channel list and delete (the very slow way) all of the cruft filler channels. Then wait a few days and the Toppy does it all over again. Sad

Set up the Channel Organiser TAP which may take a bit of time the first time you use it. When you next rescan run it manually again and it will have remembered what you wanted and will delete the rest in a matter of seconds.

Quote:

MyInfo will have produced a text log file on the Toppy's hard disk. Download it to your PC and post the file here.

Manually run Signal Monitor and while its on screen presss record to get a similar text log file to the hard disk. Post that here as well.

Last edited by alan_m on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
sarevofaona wrote:
I've got a 5800 with MyStuff 6.4 and all the extras. Every few days I come down to the machine and it's got MENU on the front panel and all of the channels are gone.
* How old is your Toppy?
* Do you put it into standby regularly (i.e. at least once per day)?
* Does it have plenty of air circulation around it (i.e. not in a HiFi stack or in a cupboard)?

Since you say you have a good signal, if your answers are "more than 2 years" or "no" or "no" (in that order), then it's quite likely that the capacitors in your PSU are starting to fail. It's not impossible that it's starting to fail even if those aren't your answers.

Don't worry though, if you're handy with a multimeter and soldering iron, andyfras can supply a parts kit for a DIY repair. If you don't fancy doing it yourself, both he (in Fleet, Hampshire) and MikeyP (in Bolton) offer a repair service for around 25 or so. Deal with it sooner rather than later though, before something expensive gets damaged, and while you can schedule the repair to suit you, rather than waiting for a complete failure.
Quote:
I seem to have good signal 'round here (too good because I have loads of duplicate channels if I don't manually scan for the muxes). It's a massive PITA deleting the tonnes of channels that I don't want/need every time (out of 119 channels I can get, I'm only wanting maybe 25).
The latest MyStuff installer (which has been updated since 6.4 was released) will install Channel Orgraniser in /ProgramFiles/Utilities, which makes it a much quicker process, and one that can remember your choices.

In addition, you can put FastScanGUI in Auto Start, and that will run automatically when your Toppy starts. If it detects that you have no channels, it will scan only from ONE Mux (you tell it where you live), so that you a) don't get duplicates from various muxes in the first place, and b) all your channels come from the same transmitter, which is desirable for avoiding various issues.
Quote:
People talk about MyInfo and Signal Monitor (or something like that) being a part of MyStuff 6.4 but I don't know how to manually invoke these.
They're not "part of" MyStuff, but they are installed by the installer.
Quote:
I don't see either listed in the list of running TAPs in "TAP Commander".
MyInfo runs on startup, produces its log file, and then exits, which is why TapCommander doesn't show it. Signal Monitor isn't something you'd want to run on Auto Start anyway.

You need to get to the native archive to manually run TAPs. There are a number of ways of doing that, and which ones will work depend on your MyStuff configuration.
1. If your have MyStuff option L8: Display Toppy Archive from MyStuff Archive=Yes, then press Archive twice to get to the native archive.
2. If you have timeshifting enabled, press play, and while the playbar is visible, press Archive to get to the native Archive.
3. If neither of the above, you'll need to exit MyStuff (the last option in section Z of the MyStuff options) and then press Archive without MyStuff running.

Once you're in the native archive, if you can see your list of recordings, press the << button to get to the ProgramFiles, and from there you can navigate into whichever subdirectory contains the TAP you want to run, select it, and press OK to run it.

FYI, if you have a Windows PC, try installing Geoff Bacon's TopManager tool. It makes getting info about your Toppy very easy, and also semi-automates posting it to this forum and setting up a signature too.
Quote:
So in summary, every few days I have to do a factory reset and then manually scan only for the muxes (e.g. frequencies) I'm interested in to avoid duplicate channels, then I go through the resulting channel list and delete (the very slow way) all of the cruft filler channels.

Any ideas:

Probably the start of hardware problems. Get it fixed Wink.
Quote:
b) how to build a list of channels to automatically delete/exclude?
Use CO.
Quote:
c) is there a faster UI than the Topfield native one for deleting channels manually?
CO again. And put FastScanGUI in Auto Start (renamed to pre-select your local transmitter) to avoid getting so many in the first place.
Quote:
d) is there a quick way to find and expire/delete obsolete searches?
There's no automatic way (although by definition, once a search is obsolete it won't set any timers). Your searches list will show on the right of the screen how many timers are being set by the search. It shouldn't take long to scan through them by eye and delete any you don't want using the White key.
Quote:
On that last point, I'm sure the series link stuff is dodgy and old searches of that type can end up recording any old junk if whatever UID it's based upon gets reused by some other program.
If the CRID is reused, then yes, anything that records that CRID will record it. Each CRID should have a life of 6 months, after which it can be re-used. MyStuff setting K12: Search validity period=24 weeks determines how long it will be before MyStuff "forgets" CRID information for searches and assumes that anything using that CRID now is something else.

Of course, sometimes the broadcasters screw up and accidentally re-use CRIDs before they've expired, and any Channel with "5" in the name can't be trusted with CRID info anyway - they don't understand how Series CRID and Episode CRID work, with unreliable results.

Another possibility is that failing hardware is causing corruption of your MyStuff searches file, in which case all bets are off.

However, to deal with your real problem, do yourself a favour and check and repair the hardware (or get andyfras or MikeyP to do it for you). It'll save a lot of time, effort and money in the long run, and will avoid the Toppy finally dying on you completely on Christmas Eve.

Julie

Last edited by juwlz on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4444
For an easy way to display MyInfo Log; try TopManager (link in my signature). After installing, windows pc only, use the "Connection|Setting" option to set up a USB (probably) connection and a "Connection| Open". You will then be able to do "Display| MyInfo Log"; cut and paste it into this thread.

You can also then do a "Tools| Update Forum profile" to set up a forum signature.

Also do "Tools| Check MyStuff"

Channels are best deleted with ChannelOrganiser.tap. This will be in the \ProgramFiles\Utilities directory (assuming you didn't install MyStuff a long time ago or you didn't select that option). You can use the TopManager "Connection| Browse" check what files are there. If you don't have the tap, use "Tools| Install Tap".
On first use, set option 2 (or 3?) so that it displays signal strengths; this makes it easier to decide which duplicates are "best". Use the "delete all channels on this mux" mode to get rid off all channels for the nonrequired mux.

TopManager can several other functions; press F1 for the helpfile.

How old is the toppy? - perhaps the psu is starting to fail and that is why you keep losing channels.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
sarevofaona
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Thanks for all the responses here. It makes a change to find a forum where people actually reply - and with useful info, too. Bonus! Some background about me, I'm a software engineer (well, project manager nowadays) with 15 years working in, you guessed it, mostly digial set-top boxes. Can't say I've really taken much time out to understand my Toppy so all your advice is very welcome.

I'll get back to you with the MyInfo logs - Top Manager sounds like a good next step; I was using Altair up to now. Urgh. I'll have a look at the various things people are suggesting here but it does sound like there's a lot more I can do.

I hadn't realised that MyStuff was installing TAPs that you need to manually launch - I assumed all the TAPs would be running at all times, just mostly in the background, and you needed to access them, or get into their UI from TAP Commander (which I start by pressing Exit, by the way). Now I know differently, I think there's a lot more I can do.

The Toppy is behaving very oddly at the moment. I had an "Out of memory 111" error today - first time I've ever seen that. In the Archive display it said I had around 12MB free (plus over half of the drive). First time I've ever seen that. Rebooting (not a power cycle) and looking again shows only around 14MB free so it's not like it was particularly short on RAM.

It also did something very strange a few minutes ago and refused to set any timers. I tried to set one on BBC2 for around 8pm and it said that it was unable to set the timer because it clashed with other timers. Going to the clashing timer screen listed only the EPG scan timer, at 5am! Looking in the main timers list showed no timers at all and none of my searches had any associated timers. In the MyStuff menu, there's an option to force reload of EPG data and timers, which had no effect. So I created another random one-off timer (which worked) and magically all the other timers appeared - and stayed there even after I deleted my spurious timer as if nothing had ever happened.

I do suspect a failing PSU - this box is at least three years old now. I've seen this on many machines in the past, especially the dreaded leaking capacitor which spills out all over the motherboard and knackers it... I have a feeling I'll be speaking to andyfras or MikeyP shortly.
juwlz
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
sarevofaona wrote:
Wow! Thanks for all the responses here. It makes a change to find a forum where people actually reply - and with useful info, too.
You're welcome. We don't bite very often Wink. (In contrast to you, I found the forums before I ever even bought my first Toppy, having had a less-than-satisfactory experience with whatever heap of **** preceded it.)
Quote:
I'll get back to you with the MyInfo logs
I suspect the log will be fairly irrelevant for the moment. Using my Toppy-centric psychic powers, I predict that they will probably show that you have loads of channels, and we'll recommend that you cut it down to a total of about 40 TV and Radio channels using Channel Organiser, but nothing much that actually relates to your most pressing issues.
Quote:
I hadn't realised that MyStuff was installing TAPs that you need to manually launch - I assumed all the TAPs would be running at all times, just mostly in the background, and you needed to access them, or get into their UI from TAP Commander (which I start by pressing Exit, by the way)
The MyStuff install was developed to make it easier to install all the bits necessary for MyStuff run. Adding some utilities was a recent development to make it easier for less tech-savvy to provide information to those of us trying to help them to troubleshoot or to enable them to more easily follow our recommendations (such as deleting unwanted channels or scanning from a single transmitter). However most of these utilities don't need to be running all the time ... or ever, in some cases, and some would be positively unwanted in Auto Start.
Quote:
The Toppy is behaving very oddly at the moment.

I do suspect a failing PSU - this box is at least three years old now.
Seriously: go and unplug from the mains RIGHT NOW, and leave it unplugged until you've fixed the PSU (or sent it off to somebody else to do it for you). Your Toppy sounds ready to suffer some serious damage if you don't. Once you've unplugged it, PM andyfras and/or MikeyP. If they're not away somewhere, both of them can usually mend your PSU and get it back in the post to you the same / next day.

Julie

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4444
You will still need Altair (or Antares) if you want to process recordings; TopManager is restricted to \ProgramFiles and subdirectories.

Is there plenty of airflow around the toppy?
Do you put it in standby every night?

If you answered no to either of the above then the life of the psu will be reduced
My poweroff settings in MyStuff are:-
W1: PowerOff Handler=Internal
W2: Enable automatic PowerOff=Yes
W3: Auto PowerOff Time=00:30
W4: PowerOff after EPG Scan Timer=Yes
W5: Front Panel text=None

As well as posting the MyInfo Log, please also specify the name of your transmitter and/or your postcode (just in case you are handling signals from multiple transmitters).

If you do use TopManager, then please say so as it helps me tailor my replies (alternatively, if you include the "TM flag" in your signature, I then know you have used the program).

Cheers
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
alan_m
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
sarevofaona wrote:

The Toppy is behaving very oddly at the moment.

When did you last give your Toppy a cold boot? Much of the Toppy was designed by software engineers and obviously the software is likely to crash at some time. Smile

To cold boot remove the mains plug - wait 2 minutes for the internal voltages to fully discharge - switch the box back on.

You will not get a cold boot if you just switch the box into standby.

Quote:

It also did something very strange a few minutes ago and refused to set any timers.

You may have a corrupt EPG. Geoff's Top Manager programme has a menu option to delete bad EPG files. You will then have to wait 20/30 minutes for Mystuff to rebuild its EPG.

Last edited by alan_m on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
sarevofaona wrote:
and looking again shows only around 14MB free so it's not like it was particularly short on RAM.

info:
It only starts off at around 20Mbytes. The firmware uses some and the rest can be eaten up by running too many TAPs or having too much EPG, hence the recommendation for deleting all the pay, porn and dross channels. Don't worry until the free RAM gets to around 3M Bytes however the more free the better.

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Cheers guys. Will get back to you (most likely some time tomorrow) with the output of Top Manager, log files, etc.

I should've said in the last post that the Toppy is well ventilated on all sides (except the bottom!) and is in standby at all times that we're not watching it and it's not recording, so that's probably at least ~ 12 hours a day in standby at a guess.

I counted today and out of the 119 channels found (for the Sandy Heath transmitter that's the one I want) there's only 23 left after I've finished deleting the cruft. I don't use the radio channels at all so using CO to remove all of those is also quite appealing.

I'm strongly considering an HD box - I already have Bluray and an HD projector so watching SD DVB-T with the increasinly awful compression looks pretty bad on a 92" screen...

However, I'd love to keep the Toppy going and doing its SD thing because it's so versatile. I'm attracted to the idea of getting some hardware repairs for ~ 25, or bribing a hardware engineer mate to fix it using the capacitor kit! Smile
sarevofaona
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When did you last give your Toppy a cold boot? Much of the Toppy was designed by software engineers and obviously the software is likely to crash at some time. Smile

Nice. Smile
sarevofaona
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
Here's my MyInfo log file, for what it's worth...

MyInfo B5.6 Logging settings etc on: 6/12/2011 at 00:11

Waiting for other TAPs to load and settle

Ini file found
Starting to record data 62 seconds from boot

System ID: 456
TV Output: Type = Auto, Video = SVHS, RF Channel = 36
Reported firmware version: TF-NPT 5.13.65T dated Oct 10 2009
Base firmware version: 5.13.65

Running TAPS:
Slot 0: TAP Commander 1.33 : Configure and manage TAPs
Slot 1: UK Subtitle 1.82 : Toggle subtitles with a button press
Slot 2: MyStuff 6.4 : UI Replacement
Slot 3: EPG2MEI v0.96 : Dumps the EPG data to disk as EPG.mei, with changes since last time in EPG_diff.mei
Slot 4: QuickJump 1.72 : Jump with the coloured buttons
Slot 5: Font Manager 1.0d : Manage TAP Fonts
Slot 6: Extend v1.7 : Uses the Accurate Recording info to extend recordings (safely)
Slot 7: MyInfo B5.6 : Displays & records Toppy basic info
Slot 8: SecCache (UK) v0.4 : Optimal (UK) section caching to reduce the load on the Toppy
Slot 9: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6 : Provides faster, simpler and more robust EIT data collection, except when playing games
Slot 10: MHEG On/Off A3 : MHEG control
Slots 11 - 15 not used

Found Auto Start TAP which is no longer running: prevent_dsmcc_crash v0.01 (Filename: prevent_dsmcc_crash.tap)

Installed patch list:- Ab Bf Bq Ce Ck Cp Cw Cy De Ec Ee Ef Ep Er Es F Fm Gm H He Kt Mh Nf Ot P Pc R Ra Re Rh Rp Rs S Sd Sl Sr St T2 Td Te Tf Tp Ts Vr Xp Xw Xl
Firmware MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 modified thus: -Sy
Patch Decode Links - Will explain your patches:
MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 :- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=AbBfBqCeCkCpCwCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsFFmGmHHeKtMhNfOtPPcRRaReRhRpRsSSdSlSrStT2TdTeTfTpTsVrXpXwXl
Missing patches:- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=Sy

Time Mode set to Auto
Time Offset set to Auto

Found 23 TV channels and 23 Radio channels
No channel problems detected
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 24 are: 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 14, 28, 33,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 27 are: 1, 2, 7, 9, 80, 105, 700, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 31 are: 10, 26, 27, 30, 31, 724, 727, 728,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 48 are: 12, 15, 21, 24, 711, 712, 713, 714, 715, 716, 718, 722, 725,

Interactive Off
Timeshift On

Memory - Free: 14 MB, Available: 13 MB
Disk - Total: 149 GB, Free: 62 GB

52 recordings (80 GB) + 4 deleted (7 GB) in 7 folders (+ 0 empty folders)

Time since boot: 0:0:1 (d:h:m)

Suggested signature for Toppy forum - copy following lines to signature block at http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile
[size=10][b]TF5800[/b], TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
[b]TAPs:[/b] TAP Commander 1.33; UK Subtitle 1.82; MyStuff 6.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; (prevent_dsmcc_crash v0.01);
Sig generated by [url=http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/MyInfo/MyInfo.zip]MyInfo[/url] on 6/12/11[/size]
[/code]

TAPs: TAP Commander 1.33; UK Subtitle 1.82; MyStuff 6.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; (prevent_dsmcc_crash v0.01);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/12/11
?
juwlz
Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
sarevofaona wrote:
Found Auto Start TAP which is no longer running: prevent_dsmcc_crash v0.01 (Filename: prevent_dsmcc_crash.tap)

Found 23 TV channels and 23 Radio channels
No channel problems detected
Nothing seriously major there then. You have already pruned your channels and switched off Interactive services. The only other thing you need to do is to ditch prevent_dsmcc_crash v0.01, which is no longer needed.

Time to fix the hardware before your PSU breaks something expensive (like a disk, these days!)

Julie

sarevofaona
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Time to fix the hardware before your PSU breaks something expensive (like a disk, these days!)

Cheers. I've unplugged the Toppy - it lost all tuning information twice yesterday so I'm reckoning it's either this PSU issue or the drive finally kicking it. I'll order the capacitor repair kit and see where that gets me.

Now I've had a play with Channel Organiser, Top Manager and Signal Monitor, I wish I'd looked into using that lot about a year ago before all the endless digital switch-over retunes... Wink

TAPs: TAP Commander 1.33; UK Subtitle 1.82; MyStuff 6.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; (prevent_dsmcc_crash v0.01);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 6/12/11
?
alan_m
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
sarevofaona wrote:

Now I've had a play with Channel Organiser, Top Manager and Signal Monitor, I wish I'd looked into using that lot about a year ago before all the endless digital switch-over retunes... Wink

Also look at the Fastscangui TAP. It will scan from your chosen transmitter thus avoiding any duplicates in the first place.

http://www.tapworld.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=597