Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  Need to look at Freesat

Page 1 of 1
NiMo
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Oct 2005 Posts: 102 Location: Woking, UK
After living here in Woking since 86 and having a Toppy for x number years (says 2007 ?) I am being forced to relocate as my rent is to go up by another 300 as from Jan 1st.
I do have a place to go to (my partners), but have been putting in off as I can only get 30 freeview TV channels there, and the one I need most (ITV4) is one of the missing channels. This being mainly cos the flat (converted house) has no TV aerial but all flats have satalite dish (set up for Sky use), and I am unable to get a proper signal from a TV aerial from any location inside or out of a window from her flat.
So hence the question - I need to look at Freesat.
Seen posts here which seem to suggest the Humax unit, although some posts are old. Is this still the best unit to go for?
And can this unit be connected to PC? external drive? and can you use Digiguide to program the recorders?
Any useful help appreciated as money is tight so want to make the right purchase.

3hobby.net
slimgym
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Aug 2009 Posts: 113 Location: Essendon, Herts.
I had heard reports the Humax has sluggish menus and rejected it for the Echostar HDS-600RS. The Echostar is fairly new. So far it looks like a nice unit, the menus I still find sluggish compared to the Toppy. John Lewis have it at 249 so you can go in have a play, Amazon same, some useful reviews on Amazon.

There is no access to stuff on the HDD, but there is a USB socket which would take a memory stick, for firmware upgrades currently, who knows in the future.

It also has a network socket and Slingbox functionality so you can play recordings back through web browser or phone app, and set recordings remotely.

It will search across SD/HD channels and offer HD if you try to set an SD recording. It also offers to record the series when you pick a programme. There is no free text search facility for the EPG. The EPG only takes up the bottom bit of the screen and has a couple of hours across.

I quite like it, but I still use the Toppy in preference. I bought it really to gain access to the freesat channels. Surprised to find Sky News is not part of freesat, but not missing it.

I have a feeling access to stuff on the HDD will be one of the things Freesat don't want you to do, which is a shame, especially since the HD stuff they might be concerned about can be flagged to prevent copying anyway.

Darucla
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1542
I think the Humax is probably the best off the shelf choice. The firmware is a little limited but there seems to be a modified version (unofficial) which was discussed on hummy.org. Unfortunately, that seems to have closed, so AVForums is probably the best place to look. (I have a Humax Foxsat HD box, but not a PVR, so no real experience).

Alternatively, there are various non-Freesat devices, which can be played with. These are not so easy to supply with an epg though.
Wallace
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Mar 2008 Posts: 911
Hummy.org has gone, BUT now there's hummy.tv. You can read all about the modified f/w on there.

?
alan_m
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3479
Wallace wrote:
Hummy.org has gone, BUT now there's hummy.tv. You can read all about the modified f/w on there.

There are also two official Humax sites and the Humax Digital is the one that is more useful for downloading user manuals and software updates
http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3984 Location: Buckingham
There is also MyHumax.org