Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Toppy 5800 (plural) transferring firmware?

Page 1 of 1
100949football
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 Apr 2006 Posts: 40 Location: Falkirk, scotland
Mebe you saw my previous post regarding upgrading Firmware from the original.
I eventually did it with the help of Forum members - for which I am eternally grateful - but boy what a struggle.

However I have TWO Toppy 5800's.

NOW.....I am reliably informed that firmware can be copied between machines and this is clearly shown within the 5800 installation menu.
I note no-one else appears to have attempted / done this before - so it would look like I may be the pioneer.
Apparently connecting the two machines via the RS232 ports would be the method then following on-screen instructions - I think.
I now have 2 x RS232 female connectors so I can couple up the machines.
Before I "take the plunge" is there anyone out there who is going to dive in a stop me!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????
Andy K
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
I think you will need a null modem cable (cross over)
i.e pins

2 - 3
3 - 2
5 - 5
gomezz
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3997 Location: Buckingham
Having learnt how to update the firmware from the computer why not use the same process on the second Toppy rather than trying something which is breaking new turf and possibly finding a can of worms buried there?

Last edited by gomezz on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4532
Now that you've done it once, wouldn't it be easier to just repeat the exercise on the second?

Still, you could be a trailblazer.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
alan_m
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3524
100949football wrote:

Before I "take the plunge" is there anyone out there who is going to dive in a stop me!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

I've been subscribing to these forums for nearly 5 years and I don't recall anyone posting to say that they have tried this method. This suggests that if anything goes wrong then you may get zero help from someone with first hand knowledge.

However, it's almost impossible to "brick" a Toppy so there may be nothing to lose. There is more than one way of recovering to a working box. Unfortunately this may be easier for people using a PC and Microsoft Windoze rather than a MAC. One of the ways to recover may have been one you have already tried and failed. You will not be able to use the HDFW TAP method unless the Toppy is working in the first place.

Despite some of the false starts you have experienced and the steep learning curve you have at least run one TAP on your machine. If you now stand back from some of your initial frustrations you will see it was as "simple" as moving a couple of files from your computer to the Toppy using one of a couple of possible third party programs running on your MAC. In general, this is as complicated as it gets to install future firmware, bug fix patches or to install other TAPs.

It may be safer to use your computer again on your second box.

I would still recommend that before setting up a second box that you transfer and manually run the Myinfo TAP on your first machine to make sure that you have nothing amiss that will cause problems in the future. This TAP produces a text file on your Toppy which can be copied back to your computer and posted back here for further advice.