Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Toppy 5800 - don't all laugh please

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
100949football
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 Apr 2006 Posts: 40 Location: Falkirk, scotland
ccs wrote:
I couldn't find any references in the online copy of the manual.

It may be an undocumented feature, but unlikely.

Try

"Press the MENU button to display the PVR?s main menu,
and then select Installation and Transfer firmware."

Is this feature available??

Will do, I can't image doing any "damage" = it'll either do it or not I would reckon.

Have to do it this evening though as I'm off to a funeral.

Thank you. Will let you know.
alpine*
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2007 Posts: 84 Location: Rayleigh Crystal Palace Tx
I looked into this years ago as I had no PC/laptop/Mac then so I am sure it's possible. I never went through with it in the end though.
See http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145808#145808

nvingo
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Jul 2010 Posts: 102 Location: Norfolk
ccs wrote:
I couldn't find any references in the online copy of the manual.

It may be an undocumented feature, but unlikely.

Try

"Press the MENU button to display the PVR?s main menu,
and then select Installation and Transfer firmware."

Is this feature available??
Since that option is on the 5800 menu (and the surrounding text mentions serial cable) I would conclude that it is indeed a feature. I had never realized it was undocumented.

?
ccs
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2588
I checked a couple of versions of the manual, and didn't see anything. Maybe I missed it (i'm not getting any younger), or maybe it is in later editions.

ccsx
100949football
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 Apr 2006 Posts: 40 Location: Falkirk, scotland
ccs wrote:
I checked a couple of versions of the manual, and didn't see anything. Maybe I missed it (i'm not getting any younger), or maybe it is in later editions.

On checking the 5800 menu "Installation" it does clearly have the option to transfer either firmware or data between machines using the RS232 ports.
It looks extremely straightforward to me and certainly MUCH less of a pain in doing it via computers!
I suppose it is logical to transfer between two identical machines - what would be the "worst-case scenario"?
Getting a hold of an RS232 with two FEMALE ends may be the problem!

After locating this cable, I can only but try - I cannot see this move causing any long-term damage to either machine.
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
ccs wrote:

It's a feature of the TF5x00 series: "Transfer from another digital receiver". The TF5800 manual was re-written (into better English!) and I suspect that section (almost the last one) may have just dropped off. It was reinstated in the TF5810 manual, but (ironically) they also retained some bits that applied to the TF5800 but not the TF5810.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 11 Aug 2007 Posts: 69 Location: Surrey, UK
Would using a mac preclude the option of just installing MyStuff and letting that update the firmware and the appropriate taps needed? I'm guessing, as the OP didn't have MyStuff, you all avoided that option, but my first thought after seeing they both needed an updated firmware was "why not use the mystuff installer?"
As I said, if it's because the OP has a mac, then that's fine, but from a simplicity point of view, to me at least, it has to be the best way...
Martin

juwlz
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
MartinS wrote:
Would using a mac preclude the option of just installing MyStuff and letting that update the firmware and the appropriate taps needed?
Yes - unless the user has a Windows Virtual machine such as Bootcamp, Parallels etc. as posted much earlier in this thread. And there's no need to install MyStuff to do it anyway - there's a separate firmware installer for those not using MyStuff (also written by CW) to just update the firmware.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
MartinS
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 11 Aug 2007 Posts: 69 Location: Surrey, UK
OK, thanks for that. I didn't realise there was an installer for the firmware too, I moved stright to MyStuff when I got my toppy and so have never had the need to use much else.
Martin

chunkywizard
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
By the way, just to put the story straight, most of the hard work on the Installer and Firmware Updater was done by EMJB, I just tweak the scripts.

CW