Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Toppy 5800 - don't all laugh please

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
100949football
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 Apr 2006 Posts: 40 Location: Falkirk, scotland
Hi guys, my trusty Toppy's (plural - I have two) 5800 were working fine until only recently when they started acting up.
Toppy one:
System ID 456
Loader C1.01
Device Version V5.3.33
Software Version TF-NPT 5.12.88
Harware Version CV1.00
Last Update July 5, 2006

Since Digital Changeover I've tried to re-tune and cannot get any more than BBC TV (Channels 1-11) and BBC Radio (Channels 3-13).

Toppy Two.
Similar to above but can get most channels but comes up with message "No Signal Tuner 2"
Can get a lot more radio and tv channels
Only difference to above details on Toppy One is
Software Version TF-NPT 5.12.09
Last Update Oct 14, 2005

Please help and PLEASE be aware you are dealing with a real "novice" here. I also use a MAC.

Best thanks for anyone who can help.
aramil
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2006 Posts: 649 Location: Worcester, UK ; TX:Malvern Central
Put the latest "recommended" firmware on these machines

http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/firmware.php

That Should (might) solve the issues

chunkywizard
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Yep, you are running very old firmwares without the Nit Fix. Update your firmware , then do a factory reset and rescan.

HTH

CW

andyfras
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3464
If your forum join date is an indication of the age of one or both of your Toppies, they are due for PSU capacitor replacement.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
alan_m
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3523
100949football wrote:

Software Version TF-NPT 5.12.88
Last Update July 5, 2006

The broadcasters changed the way they did some things in 2008 that broke the Toppy firmware BUT users will not have seen the problem until a rescan was attempted.

The fix is to install the recommended firmware from this site that has the necessary bug fix patches.
http://www.toppy.org.uk/static/channelNumbers.shtml
http://www.toppy.org.uk/static/firmwareLoader.shtml
http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/firmware.php

A rescan also requires a factory reset first (factory settings from the menu). A rescan without a factory reset only adds to what you already have and if your local transmitter has had Digital Switch Over then the Toppy probably now has rubbish information. The Toppy is also very intolerant of duplicate channels that can result from not resetting or getting signals from multiple transmitters.

Quote:

Since Digital Changeover I've tried to re-tune and cannot get any more than BBC TV (Channels 1-11) and BBC Radio (Channels 3-13).

have you looked for channel numbers 1000+?
From which transmitter are you getting your signals?

Quote:

Similar to above but can get most channels but comes up with message "No Signal Tuner 2"

Again this may be cured by a factory reset from the menu and rescanning.
Try also turning your box off at the mains for 2 minutes. On the subsequent switch on you will give your box a cold boot, something that doesn't happen if you just put your box into standby.

Quote:

Software Version TF-NPT 5.12.09
Last Update Oct 14, 2005

Again old firmware without the bug fix patches.

You probably have multiple problems which can be fixed by updating your firmware via a USB port and then giving your boxes a factory reset followed by a rescan for channels. The USB cable is a USB A to USB B used for connecting most USB printers.

Quote:

Please help and PLEASE be aware you are dealing with a real "novice" here. I also use a MAC.

Novices don't use MACs Smile With a MAC you may have a few more hoops to jump through as most of the utilities to make firmware upgrades easy run on Microsoft Windoze.

mac software
http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/mac.php
http://www.mtop.co.uk/transfer.html

There is more than one way of updating firmware on a Toppy and if you can get software on your MAC to transfer files to your Toppy maybe consider using the HDFW TAP to update your firmware http://www.toppy.org.uk/~r2-d2/hdfw.html
http://www.tapworld.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=435

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
Yep, you are running very old firmwares without the Nit Fix. Update your firmware , then do a factory reset and rescan.

HTH

CW

Many thanks...........I'll try that.

I presume Toppy connects to computer via usb then I follow the links?
Darucla
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
Follow the links first. Don't try to connect the 5800 to a PC/MAC before you have read and inwardly digested some of the information contained within the links. I am not very familiar with using MACs but it helps to be prepared in general.

MarkPax
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Nov 2010 Posts: 520
Using a Mac makes things a little more complicated. If you have a Windows Virtual Machine (Bootcamp, Parallels etc) I would run the Toppy from Windows. If not.....

To install the firmware you will need
1 - a Mac-compatible piece of software to talk to the Toppy:- MPEG Streamclip or MacTF. Both are free. I much prefer the former over the latter
2 - a copy of the relevant Toppy firmware
3 - a TAP (program which runs on your Toppy) to install the firmware. HDFW is probably best.

Read the HDFW instructions carefully! Install MPEG Streamclip on your Mac. Plug your Toppy into your Mac via USB and check MPEG Streamclip can see it. Use MPEG Streamclip to copy the HDFW TAP onto the Toppy, run it on the Toppy as instructed to generate the right folders. Download the relevant Toppy firmware onto your Mac. Use MPEG Streamclip again to place the firmware file into the relevant folder on the Toppy. Run HDFW again and follow the instructions to install the new firmware.

It sounds complicated and feels a bit scary, but it's not too bad. I don't think it's possible to brick your Toppy by doing this, but there is a small chance you can muck it up and have to do some fiddling to get it back. Plan to spend a couple of hours to do it!

I think that's all the steps, I may have missed something out! If in doubt, ask!

alan_m
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
100949football wrote:

I presume Toppy connects to computer via usb then I follow the links?

You probably first need to download and install some software to allow the MAC to communicate via the Toppy (links in previous posts).

You then need to download the recommended firmware from this site. For a 5800 the usual recommendations is version 5.13.65T. This is older firmware but is probably much more stable than the later offerings from Topfield. The "T" on the end of the firmware version indicates that it is a site recommended version that already contains many bug fix patches. Do not even consider downloading software from the official Topfield sites, UK or Korea, as this is likely to be seriously buggy.

As most people appear to be using a PC running Microsoft Windows some of the general advice about how to upgrade may not be applicable when using a MAC. It may be worth searching this site for "ToFi" using the site's Google search facility at http://www.toppy.org.uk/search.php (use first search box only)

If after upgrading your firmware, rescanning and making sure that your Toppy boxes are working you find that some functionality is missing consider using some of the popular TAPs which can radically transform the way you boxes work, for the better.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

having a serious problem getting this done.

Firstly can anyone tell me how I would identify the USB ports on my Mac to be USB 2.00 or otherwise?
I believe it to be USB 2 but cannot be sure.
The Mac I use is a relatively new Imac.

The ToFi software is downloaded but when I try to "upload" I do not get any options as to loading whatsoever.

I am suspecting the Imac is not recognising the ToFi.
alan_m
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
100949football wrote:

It probably doesn't matter very much which version of USB you have as the Topfield is doesn't transfer data very fast at all.

Can you get any other of the MAC software to communicate with your Toppy? There is more than one way to upgrade firmware including transferring it to the Toppy's hard disk, transferring a TAP to the Toppy's hard disk (i.e. file transfers) and the running the TAP on the Toppy itself.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
100949football wrote:

It probably doesn't matter very much which version of USB you have as the Topfield is doesn't transfer data very fast at all.

Can you get any other of the MAC software to communicate with your Toppy? There is more than one way to upgrade firmware including transferring it to the Toppy's hard disk, transferring a TAP to the Toppy's hard disk (i.e. file transfers) and the running the TAP on the Toppy itself.

Oh ma gawd..............seems like I'm going into cyberspace here!!!!!!!!

Anyone know an easy (idiot-proof) way to do this or do I need a "techno" degree????????????

Many thanks to everyone who is trying to help by the way, it's not you guys' fault I'm stupid!
alan_m
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
100949football wrote:

Anyone know an easy (idiot-proof) way to do this or do I need a "techno" degree????????????

Surely if you wanted an easy life you wouldn't have purchased a MAC Smile

The easy way is on a PC using Microsoft Windows.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Nov 2010 Posts: 520
It's just like setting up a new printer, it shouldn't matter what kind of cable as long as the ends both fit.

Get a USB printer cable. It will have a larger rectangular end and a smaller square end. Put the Toppy in standby and plug the square end into the socket in the middle of the back. Plug the rectangular end into ANY USB port on your Mac. Just like with a printer. Don't worry about USB 1 or 2.

Turn on the Toppy and wait for it to boot up.

Double click the application MPEG Streamclip (if that's what you're using) on your Mac to start it up. It should open up with a window with five blobs in it like a dice.

Click on Altair > Files in the menu bar. A new window should open with a list of files on your Toppy. You should be able to navigate around this list a bit like using the Finder on the Mac. If you don't see any files, press Refresh. If still no, turn the Toppy off and on again. If still no, ask us!

Navigate to Programfiles. Click Upload. You will then need to navigate to the folder on your Mac where you put the HDFW TAP program when you downloaded it, eg on your Desktop or in the Downloads folder. Go to there, click on the file and press OK (or whatever).

MPEG Streamclip should then copy HDFW to the right folder.

If you are using MacTF the process is similar but you will have to Connect to your Toppy using the icon at the top left of its window and then Upload using the next icon.

Hope that helps.

100949football
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
100949football wrote:

Surely if you wanted an easy life you wouldn't have purchased a MAC Smile

The easy way is on a PC using Microsoft Windows.

Once a Mac always aMac!!!!!!

Thank you.