Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  A TV-time budgeting TAP?

Page 1 of 1
DomB
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
Hi,

We're trying to limit the amount of telly our kids watch in a day. To be fair we should be able to just say 'no more telly' but it's difficult to police exactly how much they've watched without some kind of documentation method pinned to the fridge etc.

Is there a TAP which limits the amount of time the Topfield will work / day - say to 1 hour. Ideally anything over the hour would then need a PIN (so us parents can watch as much as we like!)

Thanks!
gomezz
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3997 Location: Buckingham
You can lock the DVD player etc away but you also need to consider them being able to watch using the TV alone.

DomB
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
Thanks - yes, I don't think they'll know how to move it from External1 to local TV's BBC1 etc so should be all good there.

It's more so we can just know that they've had, say, 1 hour of TV today and that's enough..
EMJB
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3645 Location: Maldon Essex
DomB wrote:
Thanks - yes, I don't think they'll know how to move it from External1 to local TV's BBC1 etc so should be all good there.
I suspect they will find out within a few minutes of the Toppy saying "enough", and that you will need to completely remove the RF feed to the TV.

DomB wrote:
It's more so we can just know that they've had, say, 1 hour of TV today and that's enough..
Aren't you in danger of being hauled into court for breaching their human rights? Rolling Eyes

To be serious, it would be easy enough to write a TAP to put an OSD over the TV picture and mute the sound after the hour was up. However I'm afraid I can't see there being a significant market for such a TAP, so I'm not interested in taking up the challenge unless there are a string of posts from people who would also like this facility.

EMJB
DomB
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote
lol, must admit it would need a parental overide - even just for when the kids then want to play chess or learn piano and I just don't have the energy! Wink

Hm, I need to drum up some interest then. Altho to be honest I'd've thought it might be something parents would quite want these days. Especially if it could interrupt the PlayStation etc too!?
glenmcfar
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
There's no alternative to parental supervision. Get them in front of the piano or the chess board. Failing that, they might enjoy playing in the muck out in the garden.

Bizman
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
I think the fault lies with the Toppy - it can record twice as much as it can play back!

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter