Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  Icecrypt t2400 - Any good?

Page 1 of 1
misterp
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2006 Posts: 402 Location: Hull
http://www.pvrjunction.co.uk/icecrypt-t2400-freeviewhd-pvr-available-august-2tb-drive/

Looks tempting...

digsatman
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 May 2005 Posts: 166 Location: West Midlands
misterp wrote:
http://www.pvrjunction.co.uk/icecrypt-t2400-freeviewhd-pvr-available-august-2tb-drive/

Looks tempting...

Looks promising but I note that it is not listed on the Freeview HD+ pages at http://www.freeview.co.uk/HD/Products

Maybe this is because it is not yet evailable or there are other reasons. Some PVR's like the Humax will record HD programmes in an encrypted form even if the broadcast was FTA and copies cannot be made/played other than on the boix itself. I believe there is also a possible issue with the EPG where only Freeview approved/branded receivers will be able to receive/decode the full EPG.

It's becoming a minefield! Just make sure you check that whatever box you buy will allow you to do what you want. Just because a device has an ethernet socket does not mean it does anything (I found this out with a Humax). I also found that if I used the Humax in "non Freeview" mode to access additional channels that the EPG was disabled. Since timers had to be set from the EPG (no manual timer facility) it meant that one could not set a timer in "non-Freeview" mode. It also could not copy HD programmes from the internal hard disk to and external drive/stick and even the SD programmes I could copy had to be copied to a Linux formatted (EXT3) drive/stick which then meant additional hassle if I wanted to access the files under Windows.

Things may have changed for the better but I suspect there are still a number of "gotchas" that any prospective purchaser should be aware of and check.

Apart from some of the Linux boxes such as the "Dreambox" and "VU+ Duo" which are "open" and users write applications and scripts, there are not many modern boxes as open to user enhancement as the 5800 despite its limitations. Even these more "open" boxes, some of which have "plug-in" tuner slots still only offer DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T so owners cannot yet receive/record HD from a terrestrial broadcast.

Much of the above may be of no concern to the "average" user but I have grown to appreciate being able to receive and record/play/archive anything I want and have a choice of EPG sources.