Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  TAP Source Code?

Page 1 of 1
tjwatts
Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
Hi,

Looking with extreme interest at getting a 5810.

I do a little programming so I'm quite excited about the whole TAP thing, especially as the documentation seems quite thorough at first sight.

I do notice that some TAPs here come with source, some don't. Any reason for that? Or is there a SourceForge like repository I've missed?

Mostly because hacking on some existing TAPs is the easiest way to learn a new system IME.

Cheers

Tim
DX
Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
tjwatts wrote:
I do a little programming so I'm quite excited about the whole TAP thing, especially as the documentation seems quite thorough at first sight.

I would caution you the official Topfield documentation isn't always totally accurate. In particular some structures have changed over the years and some api's will return more data than documented, leading to buffer overruns and crashes. Using something like firebirdlib can help avoid these problems.

tjwatts wrote:
I do notice that some TAPs here come with source, some don't. Any reason for that?

This is down to the personal preference of the authors. I always made my source code available as I felt an open source philosophy fitted in best with the Toppy community but not everyone agrees. Some authors like to keep tight control on what they have written and don't like the idea of others doing things based on their work. Given the amount they contribute to the community I respect their views.

tjwatts wrote:
Or is there a SourceForge like repository I've missed?

Have you checked out tap.berlios.de - it has tools and sources for some taps.

Edit: corrected taps.berlios.de to tap.berlios.de

Last edited by DX on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
tjwatts
Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
DX wrote:

I would caution you the official Topfield documentation isn't always totally accurate. In particular some structures have changed over the years and some api's will return more data than documented, leading to buffer overruns and crashes. Using something like firebirdlib can help avoid these problems.

Hi,

OK - thanks for the warnings and the tip on firebirdlib.
Surprised they didn;t keep the docs upto date, but kudos for them releasing anything in the first place.

DX wrote:

This is down to the personal preference of the authors. I always made my source code available as I felt an open source philosophy fitted in best with the Toppy community but not everyone agrees. Some authors like to keep tight control on what they have written and don't like the idea of others doing things based on their work.

OK - fair enough. It's rare in the Linux/BSD world to have free (as in beer) software that isn't opensource - which is why I asked - though I notice in the Windows world (little that I have to do with that!) that it is more commonplace.

DX wrote:

Have you checked out taps.berlios.de - it has tools and sources for some taps.

Ah - yes I have been there, but via a direct link to the toolchain, so I'll have a more general look around. One TAP I found came with source in the ZIP - I'll see what's on berlios.

Many thanks for your message Smile

Cheers

Tim
R2-D2
Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
DX wrote:
tjwatts wrote:
I do notice that some TAPs here come with source, some don't. Any reason for that?

This is down to the personal preference of the authors.

And sometimes for technical reasons -- I have a modified compiler (with no $gp issue) which makes doing nasty hacks a lot easier, but will break using the normal compiler.

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
tjwatts wrote:
Surprised they didn;t keep the docs upto date, but kudos for them releasing anything in the first place.
They haven't even fixed critical bugs in the firmware (e.g. NitFix from 18 months ago) - that's been left to contributions from forum members - so I'm not in the least bit surprised the documentation's out of date.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012