Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  [Nr] NoIdleReenter -- experimental

Page 1 of 1
R2-D2
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
[Nr] NoIdleReenter is a first attempt at a fix for one part of the problems noted here. It prevents probably the biggest source of unexpected reentrancy by stopping the firmware from sending an EVT_IDLE to a TAP that is already processing an EVT_IDLE. No other events are affected, so TAPs should not find themselves starved of important things, but they would still need to cope with re-entrancy on those events.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Laughing Clicking the link I can see it's a fix because "the whole TAP API is completely shagged". A few people will be worried because you class it 'experimental' so I guess that's me and Glen that are going to load it. To test I guess we should unpatch PBSiS and turn on Playback Stopped messages in MS, is that right?

CW

R2-D2
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
To test I guess we should unpatch PBSiS and turn on Playback Stopped messages in MS, is that right?
Yep, that should do it. Smile The problem was intermittent, but one of those that is fairly hard to provoke if you're testing and happens all the time when you didn't want it to. The second part (corrupt TAP index) can probably be worked around by having MyStuff loaded last in the TAP order.

The "experimental" bit is that some TAPs might rely on being re-entered, but I don't think that's at all normal.

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
You're on your own this time CW - I'm a little bit indisposed at the moment. Sorry.

Glen.

aramil
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jun 2006 Posts: 649 Location: Worcester, UK ; TX:Malvern Central
Would this apply on the tf5810? I have some tinker time tomorrow to help

glenmcfar
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Anyone got anything to report with this? I've just found it sitting in my HDFW folder, but I never got round to applying it...

Glen.

mike.hinson
Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
I have been using this patch on both Toppies since it was developed with no problems, however the current 6.3 initial release of MyStuff has problems with its Internal Power-Down method when this patch is applied, so I have removed it.

The problem causes the power-down method to exit MyStuff ok, but not power off the Toppy.

BobD responded about this here

Thanks,
/\/\
ps sorry for the slow reply Glen, feel free to wait a year before responding.

R2-D2
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
mike.hinson wrote:
the current 6.3 initial release of MyStuff has problems with its Internal Power-Down method when this patch is applied, so I have removed it.

Yuk! Probably a good idea to remove it [even I don't use it!]. But let's remember this if there are any crashing/corruption issues seen around this area in future.