Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Convert .rec files easily

Page 1 of 1
mrawson
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
I've been trying to figure out a more user-friendly solution to converting .rec files. Having read several posts on this forum it seems .rec files are essentially the same as .ts files so I decided to give something a try.

- Copy .rec file to PC using Altair
- Change the extension from .rec to .ts (e.g. video.rec becomes video.ts)
- Convert that file using Format Factory (http://www.pcfreetime.com/). I've had this a while and I really like it.

And I'm happy to say it worked! I've only tested one file thus far but I can't see any reason why this shouldn't work for all .rec files.

For info I have a Windows Vista machine.

Hope it helps!

underquark
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1790
There are several threads on converting REC files. There might be a summary thread somewhere - if not then there's a project for someone. You do know, of course, that if you just want to watch a REC file on a PC that VLC will play them directly.

A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
mrawson
Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
Yes I did. The thing is that I wanted to convert the REC files to AVI to be played on the in-car DVD player for my kids (which only supports AVI files or DVD). Project X is one way to do that but IMO this seems much easier. Simply change the file extension and convert to AVI using Format Factory. In fact it allows you to convert to a number of widely used formats with very little in the way of required knowledge.

From what I've read on this forum and elsewhere this seems about the simplest *free* solution I've seen. Plus Format Factory gives loads of control over the quality of the resulting file.

On top of that you can easily edit the resulting AVI file using VirtualDub, which is also free! Nice Very Happy