Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Toppy mice eating recordings

Page 1 of 1
waste
Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
Hi

I have a pretty old 5800 (several years old) which has always worked fantastically. I am on the latest suggested firmware and run MyStuff but not much else.

A while ago, we started noticing an issue where occasionally after being switched off and back on again (something we do several times a day) we would notice that we had more free disk space than before. Further investigation would show a number of programs that appeared to be fine (correct info and length) but that were very small in file size (some as small as a few Mb).

After some digging in the forums I concluded that we were letting the toppy get too full and it was when we went below 10% free that the problems occurred and subsequent slips below this threshold seemed to back that theory up. We haven't let it drop below this mark for a good few months and have not had the problem again in that time.

However, the other day, the box jumped from 25% free to 45% free overnight and a lot of programs (many seemed to be the most recent recordings) exhibited this same behaviour: many have just the first couple of minutes but some have half a program but no more.

I've read through the PSU stuff but can't see anything that sounds quite the same. Is this likely to be the cause?

Thanks!
Ian
juwlz
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Sounds likes a disk drive (or driver) problem, which could, in turn be caused by PSU problems. The problem with PSU problems, is that they could affect almost anything, so you can't really rule it in or out without checking the voltages (or sending to andyfras or MikeyP for investigation and repair).

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
waste
Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the response. Sounds like checking out the PSI is the first thing to do. I'll post my findings when I get chance to do this.

Thanks again
Ian
glenmcfar
Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
I've had this bug twice since I got my Toppy. Both times were early on in its career. It has also been reported a handful of times on these forums. While I can't rule out a PSU problem I can, with authority, say that I've had very few other problems with my Toppy ever, and almost no problems in the last couple of years.

I can also categorically state that it's got nothing to do with disk space. I always run with a fairly empty disk.

There was a Sky+ problem a few years back. I can't remember the exact details but it was called the 17 minute bug. Look it up on Google. The reason I mention it is that it didn't affect everyone and it seemed to disappear after a firmware update - the point being that it's probably a software problem, its definitely not been pinpointed, and its not going to go away because we're NOT going to get an update.

I used to live in fear of it happening again but my son's collection of terrible programmes have been safe for years. Ultimately, if you value your recordings - BACK THEM UP, BACK THEM UP, BACK THEM UP (the three rules of backing up data).

Glen.

waste
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Glen

It has been misbehaving in a few other ways recently (a couple of days ago it replaced all our searches with some from a few months ago) so I'm going to have a blitz this weekend. Make sure firmware and MyStuff are up to date and have a go at testing the PSU.

There's nothing on there that's vitally important, it's all transient, current series stuff but getting half way through a series of Mad Men and then losing a load of episodes from the middle is annoying. Having that happen on 10 or so other series at the same time means it could be time to consider a replacement!

Ian