Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Help please on loading a TAP with MyStuff

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
glenmcfar
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
But the Toppy IS rather techie. In its native state its barely fit for purpose. I had always assumed it was bought by geeks BECAUSE of its high customability - not in spite of.

I'd challenge anyone to justify their reason behind buying such a machine when there are others (Humax, etc) which seem far more user-friendly and (especially in the beginning) were much cheaper if it wasn't to use TAPs and patches in the first place

tdenson
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Mar 2010 Posts: 133 Location: Leeds, UK
glenmcfar wrote:

I'd challenge anyone to justify their reason behind buying such a machine when there are others (Humax, etc) which seem far more user-friendly and (especially in the beginning) were much cheaper if it wasn't to use TAPs and patches in the first place

I had a Humax for 2 years and (compared with my Tivo) it was rubbish - unreliable and unfunctional. I fondly imagined that a Toppy from what I had read would take me back to more of a Tivo experience. I had to move away from Tivo because of only having one tuner, but in every other respect it was head and shoulders above anything I have subsequently seen. The nice thing about Tivo was that it combined a superb UI, and flawless reliability (I would say system reboots averaged no more than one a year, and I can't ever remember it corrupting a file or failing to record something) with a geek's paradise. It had an ethernet connection and I could Telnet straight into it from any computer in my house (I subsequently fitted a wifi module as well). Because the base system was so good I had the motivation to tinker with it, but frankly I find the Toppy just frustrating, nothing seems logical, I had a dickens of a job convincing my wife it was better than the Humax, even with MS installed. Really, she has never forgiven me for discarding Tivo, when it finally comes back (hopefully) in the guise of Virgin, I will be first in the queue.

juwlz
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
tdenson wrote:
This is all rather techie - don't get me wrong, I have a doctorate in computer software and 40 years in the business, but when I'm not living and breathing it every day like you guys but just come back to it every few months, the subtle distinctions between MyStuff and native mode are very confusing.
You may find it easier to distinguish between them if you use a skin that makes it obvious when you're seeing MyStuff screens (skinned) and native screens (grey backgrounds on 5810 or blue on 5800). Then think of native as the operating system, and MyStuff as an application, and with a doctorate in computer software it shouldn't be too difficult.
Quote:
The only reason (if I remember correctly), why I use MS at all is because it gives me pre-padding on Series Link recordings which is what I was used to on my good old Tivo 10 years ago.
... and a better (configurable) EPG, and the ability to use text searches, and a much more reliable Series Link, and actually waking up to record things (regardless of whether the broadcaster remembers to send the "accurate" signal), autofiling ...

Any of which you may or may not make use of, of course.

If you want to stop using MyStuff for a while, just exit it, go to the archive, press << to get to ProgramFiles, navigate to Auto Start, select MyStuff, press Yellow to move it, and select ..

Note that without MyStuff running, any PSes, SSes and TSes you have set up will stop setting new timers (although the existing ones will still be there for the next week), so you will need to set new timers for them all.

If you decide that the Toppy is better with MyStuff than without it, just move it back to Auto Start.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012