Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Farnell has min purchase now - Go elsewhere!

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
digitalface
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
[edit] double post
Farnell - Gareth
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
digitalface wrote:
I'm guessing the limit has been reinstated, seeing as I'm unable to checkout my order unless I make my cart total 20?

"Credit Card: The minimum Credit Card order value is 20.00. Please click here to add more items to your shopping basket. "

Hi, the 20 minimum order value has been reinstated yes. However, if anyone is near to Leeds the minimum is 5 for a trade counter collection paid for by cash or 10 paid by card.
Marsbar
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 30 Location: Leicester, UK
digitalface wrote:
I'm guessing the limit has been reinstated, seeing as I'm unable to checkout my order unless I make my cart total 20?

Tried using a debit card? I can't say for certain, but it does explicitly state credit card 20 minimum order in the T&Cs.

Geoff
Farnell - Gareth
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Marsbar wrote:
Tried using a debit card? I can't say for certain, but it does explicitly state credit card 20 minimum order in the T&Cs.

Geoff

Debit cards aren't accepted on the website which is why it only states 'credit card' online. The 20 minimum applies to all forms of payment apart from the ones I listed above. Smile
digitalface
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't appear to be able to use a debit card online, there's only the field for credit card and accounts, and the CC one is blanked out until I order more than 20.

^^ Thanks Gareth.
Marsbar
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 30 Location: Leicester, UK
Farnell - Gareth wrote:
Hi, the 20 minimum order value has been reinstated yes.

Boooo.
Farnell - Gareth wrote:
Marsbar wrote:

Debit cards aren't accepted on the website which is why it only states 'credit card' online.

Apologies, my post crossed over yours, I wasn't suggesting you would be wrong Smile

If I try to place the order, because my debit card (yes, really, debit card, although it's Visa debit which probably gets around the "no debit cards" rule) details are already on the account it looks like I can place the order anyway. I can't be certain, obviously, because I don't want to order some caps right now, but it gets me all the way to the "final confirmation" screen.

Geoff
Doct0r
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Posts: 353 Location: Birmingham
At least you have Visa Debit, try Visa Electron. Trying to sort out issues with that pig of a card is horrendous. Companies blame banks, banks blame companies, I have to deal with the lot, and I don't even have the card. Thanks dad Rolling Eyes

?
Farnell - Gareth
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Marsbar wrote:

If I try to place the order, because my debit card (yes, really, debit card, although it's Visa debit which probably gets around the "no debit cards" rule) details are already on the account it looks like I can place the order anyway. I can't be certain, obviously, because I don't want to order some caps right now, but it gets me all the way to the "final confirmation" screen.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, the website may allow you to place the order but once it reaches our ordering system here it will be cancelled and you will receive an email to let you know.

I'm sorry about any hassle this will cause but the decision was made well above my pay grade, as I am sure you appreciate.
andyfras
Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3427
Both MikeyP and I (and others) have offered to sell packs of capacitors in various posts within the PSU thread. Other components could also be available including Q14 and U20.

I could provide a pack of capacitors to replace the normal 6 x 1000uF, and a few others that commonly fail, for 6 including postage. These would be a mixture of Rubycon and Panasonic low impedance 105C types.

If anyone is interested, please PM me for this or other parts, or if you want me to do the repair for you. Please note that this is a service to forum members; it is not a business venture.

Last edited by andyfras on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 am; edited 2 times in total

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
MikB
Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 285 Location: West Midlands
Farnell - Gareth wrote:
I'm sorry about any hassle this will cause but the decision was made well above my pay grade, as I am sure you appreciate.

Just a quick clarification, does this minimum apply to *account* customers too, when placing small orders?

Ta.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15
mike.hinson
Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
I good few years ago I would use Farnell all the time for small home orders as they had a deal with the company I worked for to supply employees with no minimum order or postage charges.

Of course once I was in the habit of using them at home I also looked there first for any items I needed for work and those orders could be for thousands.

Perhaps they will be willing to do a special deal for Toppy owners & hope they get more business as a result.

/\/\

jumbo
Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
I suspect that the "greed premium" of 20 has driven many punters away from Farnell toward alternatives such as RS Trade Counters, eBay and even Maplin - I included. It's simply bad business to force people to buy what they don't need.

When P&P fairly reflects actual costs businesses do better in keeping customers and, in the long run, make more money as well as enhance their reputation.
Tyler Durden UK
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Well another order lost at farnell, yes it was the min charge that did it.

ryclark
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
Andyfras and MikeyP on this Forum both offer packs of capacitors for Toppy repair at reasonable cost.

?
jumbo
Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
It's not just capacitors people need; Soldering iron and other bits-n-pieces that still don't hit the that minimum purchase Twisted Evil Fools are losing good business over here (and no doubt elsewhere). I've been going to my not-very-local RS Trade Counter.

PS Edited header and first post to reflect current status quo.