Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  Site upheaval

Page 1 of 1
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
A bit of advance notice:

Sometime over the next 6 weeks or so, I'm going to migrate the Toppy site to a new server. I'll try to do this in stages, to minimise problems and attendant chaos, but there's bound to be some.

Partly, this helps me reduce the amount of money I'm spending on hosting, and it also offers the opportunity (at last) to update the forum to phpBB3, which will be more stable and lovely in various other ways.

More information as and when I get round to it.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Good Luck!

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3985 Location: Buckingham
Is there an alternate Facebook or blog site where you can post status updates in case it goes Pete Tong?

nwhitfield
Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
As the astute will have noticed, we run with two hostnames at the moment, www.toppy.org.uk and forum.toppy.org.uk

That happened originally when we outgrew the first server we were on, and enabled the site to be split across two machines. Although both sections are on the same physical machine now, it does mean that the move can be done one part at a time, which will make life much simpler.

So, there shouldn't be a need for anywhere else to let people know what's happening, but if something did go nastily wrong, I'd post a note on GoneDigital.net

I've had the server provisioned - I'm going for the new 1&1 dynamic cloud server option, which looks like a standard server, but you can shut it down, and then move a slider to add more CPU cores, disk space or memory, before rebooting with the new config.

That should make it much easier to cope with things in future, and I'll be moving this site, together with various other things I host, onto the cloud server, rather than having them spread across this and another machine - the other is a very elderly Cobalt Raq that's long past retirement date.