Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  Watching threads

Page 1 of 1
MarkG
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 673 Location: UK
Perhaps it's me but I get the feeling that when I view a thread, I start getting notifications of updates...sometimes. It's as if I have contributed, even though I haven't (some might say it's difficult to tell if I contributed either way). I'm using Chrome, btw. Anyone else?

MG

Andy K
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3515
so you don't click "Watch this topic for replies" ?

and you get notification emails ?
MarkG
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Yep, that's right. I got an email notification for the MyStuff 6.x wishlist thread today. I have looked at it recently, but not posted (not in the last couple of days anyway) and there have been a few new postings but I've only had one email. I never click "watch thread" but this was ticked when I checked. I've "unticked" it now.

I did wonder if this was happening with threads that I once posted on, then turned off "watch thread" and subsequently read the thread.

Given the distinct lack of "me too" posts, I'm going to assume I've done something daft.

MG

kermit
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
MarkG wrote:
Yep, that's right. I got an email notification for the MyStuff 6.x wishlist thread today. I have looked at it recently, but not posted (not in the last couple of days anyway)

You have posted to that thread in the past? Then unless you've disabled "Watch Thread" you'll continue to get email notifications.

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
juwlz
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
MarkG wrote:
Yep, that's right. I got an email notification for the MyStuff 6.x wishlist thread today. I have looked at it recently, but not posted (not in the last couple of days anyway) and there have been a few new postings but I've only had one email. I never click "watch thread" but this was ticked when I checked. I've "unticked" it now.
It should be easy to tell. If you're watching a thread, it'll have Stop watching this topic at the bottom of the page. If you're not watching it, it'll have Watch this topic for replies at the bottom. If you've EVER posted on the thread, you'll continue to get email if anybody else replies ... ever ... until you click on Stop Watching this thread.

However, you don't get one email per reply. You get one email for the first reply since you last looked at the thread on the forum (whilst logged on with your forum username - otherwise the forum doesn't know it's you and can't reset any notification flags for you). Then (as the email tells you) you won't get any more emails until you look at the thread on the forum again. The email message says:
Quote:
You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "<thread name>" at Toppy.org.uk. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

<link to the oldest post you haven't seen in the thread>

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the "Stop watching this topic link" found at the bottom of the topic above, or by clicking the following link:

<link to stop following the thread>
I'd guess that what's happening is that you're viewing a thread that you once posted to (whether as a result on an email notification or not), and that's resetting the "I need to be emailed about new posts" flag, so the next time somebody else posts, you get another email about it.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Andy K
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
On some forums there is a user option to automatically sign you up for notifications whenever you post.

So you should check this.

Goto this link and look for:
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile

Preferences

"Always notify me of replies:
Sends an e-mail when someone replies to a topic you have posted in. This can be changed whenever you post." Yes/ No
juwlz
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
The default on this forum is for notification to be on for any thread you post to, but you can tick / untick the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box anytime you post if you want something different from the default for that thread.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Andy K
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
you need to remember to untick it everytime though, which is why it is best to change it in the options.
MarkG
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Evening All,

The thing is this - I think I'm getting notifications after I turn off "watch this thread". But hey, don't want to make a big thing of it as I'm not 100% certain and it could easily be as Julie outlined above.

As it would seem that I am a minority of one, I thank you all for your helpful comments and taking the time to respond. I shall retire now, with as much dignity as I can muster. Very Happy

MG