Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Hot?

Page 1 of 1
Roy Coldrick
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 78
I have read that the Toppy gets hot - how hot?

I need to stack it above a box which requires ventilation and perhaps under another which also requires ventilation
Guidance please.

Roy
PurpleOfPants
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Apr 2005 Posts: 50
Surprisingly hot. It's mostly at the left to the rear where the hard disk is. Stupidly, I had my Hauppauge (which gets quite hot on its own) over that bit which didn't help a lot. Not too hot to touch but you certainly know there's some power being consumed. Now I've moved the Hauppauge to the other end and it's a lot better. If you have a stack you'll want the Toppy to be on the top of it.

OTOH, if you've got the chase facility turned off it's barely warm. I'm sure the disk still spins up (you can feel the rumbling of it) but it's just idling.
tim
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 34
I sit my DVD player on the Toppy but like PurpleOfPants I move it to the right (it's about 3/4 width of the Toppy) to clear the vents above the psu/hdd. My DVD player has small legs which allow for a good 2cm clearance between the devices.
I don't use the chase facility so the drive is often spun-down for most of the day, the temperature is actually pretty low. I do have ventilation on the front/back and sides which may help of course.
glesgaguy
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
I have chase and play set to "on"
And yes, when you touch the top of the left hand side the box is ....well I'd say warm.
Although I do have my box at the top of the pile, I would say if you can possibly aviod putting anything on top, then do!! and try to give it some air flow.

It is a SET TOP BOX after all
Roy Coldrick
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 78
Thanks for that everyone.

Regarding it being a SET TOP BOX - yes I agree - the problem is I have quite a few SET TOP BOXES and I don't have the horizontal shelf space for them all