Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  AV & other discussions  ~  An unasked question (satellite in Mauritius).

Page 1 of 1
Darucla
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
I think no one has asked about this before.

I am seriously considering retiring to Mauritius, in the Indian Ocean. (It's warmer).

Does anyone have any information about satellite reception there? I have checked various Google answers, but feel that the information is out of date. I suspect I have enough prerecorded material to see me through to my end days, but some new stuff would always be welcome, and MBC is pretty lacking. I can watch French language material, but would prefer English if possible.

jumbo
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Why not call someone there to find out? A hotel would be a good place to start. I guess if you find a mountain you'll be safe and down in the jungle you might as well keep the wildlife company and forget about TV.

What's the health service like over there?
Darucla
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:42 am Reply with quote
I have many contacts in Mauritius, but none know of any satellite services beyond the advertised ones. It's like believing that Freesat/Sky cover all satellites here. It is one of the world's less populated areas (the Indian Ocean as opposed to just Mauritius), so there may not be much actually.

There's not much jungle left, but I'd be living near the beach anyway.

They have socialized medicine, but it may not apply to me. Luckily, half of my wife's relatives there are doctors.

gomezz
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3988 Location: Buckingham
Darucla wrote:
I'd be living near the beach anyway.

I would be worried about climate change and rising sea levels.

Quote:
They have socialized medicine, but it may not apply to me. Luckily, half of my wife's relatives there are doctors.

Depends on your wife's family of course and how much you are worth but that may not be a good thing. Wink

Darucla
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
As a thorough pessimist, I am very aware of the consequences of global warming, one of which may be a new ice age in northern Europe. On balance, I'd prefer to have to move inland (most of the island, including my proposed dwelling, is actually well out of reach of predicted sea level rises) and stay warm. Especially as almost all of my health problems are related to the weather here.

Still, I suspect that no one has any real answers on satellite question. I was kind of hoping that someone may know of FTA channels which may reach Mauritius for reception with non-standard equipment.

Esling
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Nov 2005 Posts: 306 Location: Cheshire
Darucla wrote:
As a thorough pessimist, I am very aware of the consequences of global warming, one of which may be a new ice age in northern Europe. On balance, I'd prefer to have to move inland (most of the island, including my proposed dwelling, is actually well out of reach of predicted sea level rises) and stay warm. Especially as almost all of my health problems are related to the weather here.

Still, I suspect that no one has any real answers on satellite question. I was kind of hoping that someone may know of FTA channels which may reach Mauritius for reception with non-standard equipment.

This thread might be of use

http://www.satsig.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=ivsat-af;action=display;num=1178048267

kermit
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
What about returning to OZ? There was a story a while ago about the rising sea levels puting the whole island under water and the Mauritius govt. were in talks with the OZ govt. about shifting the entire population Down Under.

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
Darucla
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote

Thanks for that. It sort of confirms my feelings about what is actually available.