Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Convert .rec files to DVD guide.

Page 19 of 22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
ryclark
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
VLC contains it's own codecs which aren't available to any other software. So even if VLC plays it other media players that use Directshow codecs won't be able to unless you have the correct Directshow codecs installed for MPEG2.

?
Esling
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Nov 2005 Posts: 306 Location: Cheshire
I have now run gspot and found a list of all the codecs on my laptop which plays rec files in Windows Movie Maker and on my Desktop, which doesn't. Both pcs run Vista Home Premium.
The following is a list of all the codecs that are on my laptop but not on the desktop. Presumably one or more of them is/are the ones that are needed for WMM to be able to open rec files.
DSH UYVY InterVideo MPEG4 Video Encoder InterVideo Inc. MP4VENC.ax
DSH InterVideo Video Encoder InterVideo Inc. IVIVENC.ax
DSH Pinnacle MPEG 2 Encoder ** Codec not registered
DSH DIVX InterVideo MPEG4 Video Decoder InterVideo Inc. MP4VDEC.ax
DSH M4S2 Emuzed MP4SP/H263 Video Decoder-Filter Emuzed Inc. EmzDecMP4_H263.dll
DSH DVSD DV Video Decoder Microsoft Corporation
DSH Emuzed H264 Video Decoder-Filter Emuzed Inc. EzdH264DecTFilter.dll
DSH VOB MPEG2 Video Codec ** Codec not registered
DSH MPEG2 ArcSoft Video Decoder ArcSoft Inc. ASViD.ax

Any ideas on which are the ones required and where you can get them from?
Les

ccs
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2587
The only one I've nearly got is

DSH DVSD DV Video Decoder {B1B77C00-C3E4-11CF-AF79-00AA00B67A42} 0x00800000 qdv.dll

(i'm running vista ultimate and WMM does not play .rec files)

ccsx
Darucla
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
Back in the early days of Vista, I remember that loading VLC would allow WMP to accept rec files, if you over-rode all the complaints about unrecognized file format. Whether this still works, and whether it would allow Movie Maker to edit the files, I don't know. Frankly, the one off cost of VideoRedo is worth less to me than the time required to mess about.

ryclark
Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
@ Esling

It's probably the Arcsoft MPEG2 decoder that is allowing Microsoft things to play .rec MPEG2 files. But you will probably need at least a Demuxer plugin as well and an MPEG audio decoder. Arcsoft probably provide all of these if you have one of their DVD players installed.

?
johnsattuk
Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2006 Posts: 46
Just bought an eGreat NMT, if I rename my .rec files to .ts they play without problem Very Happy

Esling
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
ryclark wrote:
@ Esling

It's probably the Arcsoft MPEG2 decoder that is allowing Microsoft things to play .rec MPEG2 files. But you will probably need at least a Demuxer plugin as well and an MPEG audio decoder. Arcsoft probably provide all of these if you have one of their DVD players installed.

I think I used Arcsoft software once when I bought a TV card for my laptop. It didn't work properly so I took it back and deleted the software that came with it from Arcsoft but the decoders etc have probably remained on my laptop.
Any idea as to how one could get them because if we could find out what is required to make all windows pcs work the way my laptop does with rec files and WMM it would make it so much easier for everyone to deal with rec files (& I suspect a whoe lot cheaper!!)

ryclark
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately MPEG decoders are usually licensed so don't come free. However most PCs these days come with a DVD drive built in with an OEM version of some DVD playing software supplied. This includes the MPEG2 codec that you need to make Windows Media Player play MPEG2 files. So most modern PCs will already have one installed. Suitable software is also often supplied if you buy a replacement DVD drive.

There may be some free MPEG decoders out there somewhere but may come from dodgy sources or not be guaranteed to work properly. Hence good all purpose players like VLC or Media Player Classic have there own decoders built in which, unfortunately, can't be used with any other programs.

?
Esling
Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
ryclark wrote:
@ Esling

I've checked and the only Arcsoft codec on my laptop is the Video Decoder.
I downloaded a trial version of Arcsoft Total Media 3.5 & installed it on my Desktop that does not handle rec files and it now shows the video of rec files with no sound. A check reveals that the version of the video decoder on my laptop is 1.2.1.21 whereas on the new software it is version 2. something. I've tried overwriting the files on the desktop with those from the lpatop but it makes no difference.
I've now removed the Arcsoft programme and the codecs have been left on my desktop pc and WMM still plays the rec files with no sound. So if we could find an older copy of the programme maybe that would solve the problem.
Any ideas?
Les

ryclark
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
In order for the sound to be heard you also need a suitable audio decoder. I would have thought that would have been installed at the same time.

Codecs cannot just be replaced by replac eing the file. You need to unregister the old and register the new with the "regsvr" command in Windows to do this. See here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249873

?
Esling
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
ryclark wrote:
In order for the sound to be heard you also need a suitable audio decoder. I would have thought that would have been installed at the same time.

Codecs cannot just be replaced by replac eing the file. You need to unregister the old and register the new with the "regsvr" command in Windows to do this. See here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249873

I can't get it to work. Can you provide an "idiots guide"??!!

ryclark
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
The filter/codec with .dll or .ax suffix should be stored in C:\Windows\system32. Go to the Start button at bottom left of your Desktop. Click on Run. In the box type "regsvr32 C:\Windows\system32\xxx.dll", without the quote marks, where xxx.dll is the name of the codec you wish register. Click OK. A box should come up to tell you that it succeeded.

To unregister add /u after regsvr32 in the above.

If you open up your .rec file renamed .mpg in GSpot, using the blue Browse box by Path to find it, you can then get GSpot to try and find the codecs/filters needed by clicking on the "1" blue box under MS A/V to the bottom left. If it can find suitable ones for playing in Windows it will now show them to the right.

?
SonicLife
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1262
The easiest way to find out what direct show filters & codecs are involved in playing a file in windows is to use Graph Edit, this gives a graphical view of how the OS handles a file.

There are loads of freeware mpeg decoders, for both audio and video, but finding an exact set-up that works is tricky, I gave up ages ago and just remux to PS now.

PS Just tried again, and with HDTVPump installed to handle the .rec file, and using FFDshow for both audio and video it works*.

* But not if I want to use reclock, which I do so I'll stick with a remux.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Oct 2009 Posts: 136 Location: LB of Harrow; Probable Tx : Croydon
I have now read carefully through the whole of this thread at least 3 times and perhaps it is my 74 years showing, but I'm not sure that I recognise what is the current recommended method for converting a rec file to DVD.

It started as a simple step by step guide in the first post and has "descended" (undoubtedly with good cause) through a series of no doubt useful contributions until after 19 pages I have totally lost track of what to do in what sequence and using what program[s] and filters, what codecs and whether to mux or remux or not to mux at all.
Please don't tell me "Well, it all depends....."

I (no - We) need a good soul to offer a revised potted version - a new step by step guide for the slightly-below-average toppifier like me who is largely reliant on freebie programs and a mere smattering of knowledge, so that we can produce a superb professional result ! Lol

That is meat and drink to some of you is it not? And surely it would be even more worth while making that a sticky also - A great Debate in one sticky followed by the CURRENT definitive outcome in another.

?
Esling
Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
jakthelad wrote:
I have now read carefully through the whole of this thread at least 3 times and perhaps it is my 74 years showing, but I'm not sure that I recognise what is the current recommended method for converting a rec file to DVD.

It started as a simple step by step guide in the first post and has "descended" (undoubtedly with good cause) through a series of no doubt useful contributions until after 19 pages I have totally lost track of what to do in what sequence and using what program[s] and filters, what codecs and whether to mux or remux or not to mux at all.
Please don't tell me "Well, it all depends....."

I (no - We) need a good soul to offer a revised potted version - a new step by step guide for the slightly-below-average toppifier like me who is largely reliant on freebie programs and a mere smattering of knowledge, so that we can produce a superb professional result ! Lol

That is meat and drink to some of you is it not? And surely it would be even more worth while making that a sticky also - A great Debate in one sticky followed by the CURRENT definitive outcome in another.

I seem to have the best solution which is that I can copy REC files to my laptop, edit them directly in Windows Movie Maker and then burn them directly to disk. It seems that the reason this works on my laptop, and not on anyone elses or even my desktop is because there are the right codecs installed on my laptop and try as I might I can't find out which ones they are.
If someone who understands these things is prepared to talk me through providing the information required then I am quite happy to oblige so that everyone can work in this simple way.