Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  Freesat Questions

Page 1 of 1
jumbo
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Just acquired a Technisat HDFS Freesat PVR and wondered if accurate event (programme) marking (start/end) is a Freesat specified standard or an individually implemented functionality by manufacturers. The reason I ask is that some of my recordings with pre- and post-padding seem to contain the correct (and distinct) programme information for the seperate segments (i.e. one info for the pre pad section another for the main programme and yet another for the post padded part) whilst others contain the incorrect info for the whole part! Who's at fault here.

My second question relates to ITV HD and the infamous red button: The Technisat can not currently record HD on ITV. Is there a workaround. The Humax can - I think. Is this a Technisat problem or an ITV one, or both?
glenmcfar
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Humax records ITV HD no bother (if you choose to record a show it will ask if you'd like to record the HD version [it's ever so polite]), so I'd say its Technisat's lack of implementation to blame there.

R2-D2
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
If you know the PIDs then you might be able to manually add the channel, although I'm not sure if they change them regularly. The main problem is that there's hardly ever anything on... see here.

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
jumbo wrote:
My second question relates to ITV HD and the infamous red button: The Technisat can not currently record HD on ITV. Is there a workaround. The Humax can - I think. Is this a Technisat problem or an ITV one, or both?

It's not really a problem as such - the whole reason for implementing ITV HD the way it was done was to prevent it being viewed on non-Freesat receivers. That means that ITV have less rights issues as people outside the UK won't be able to view it. (In the same way as no-one outside the UK ever has a Sky digibox Laughing )

I think the video stream masquerades as something else but on some receivers you can jump through hoops to get it recognised. I don't know whether there is a way to do it on a Technisat or not but good luck.
digsatman
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 May 2005 Posts: 166 Location: West Midlands
DX wrote:
jumbo wrote:

It's not really a problem as such - the whole reason for implementing ITV HD the way it was done was to prevent it being viewed on non-Freesat receivers. That means that ITV have less rights issues as people outside the UK won't be able to view it. (In the same way as no-one outside the UK ever has a Sky digibox Laughing )

I think the video stream masquerades as something else but on some receivers you can jump through hoops to get it recognised. I don't know whether there is a way to do it on a Technisat or not but good luck.

There are tens of thousands of Sky digiboxes outside the UK - mostly in Spain and Portugal where ex-pats live or have holiday home/villas. Of course it is "unofficial".

ITV2 can be received on a Sky HD box although it cannot be recorded as there is no EPG info available for it as this is exclusively broadcast by Freesat.

ITV2 can also be received on every other HD receiver I have tried so I don't imagine the Technisat will be any different. You may need to manually input the frequency/polarisation/PID info and it is possible that any "manually" added channels will not appear in the EPG. The Humax Freesat PVR is particularly annoying in so far as it allows either a "Freesat" or "Non-Freesat" mode. If you manually add a channel in "non-freesat" mode (you cannot add them in Freesat mode) - you lose all the Freeview epg and only have a "now and next".

The following may help.....

The Humax gets the Freeview EPG and if you want to set a recording on ITV is offers you the option of an HD recording - normally only available via the "red button" - Have you tried setting a timer on an ITV1 programme that you know is being brodcast on ITV1 ?

Here are some upcoing HD progs:

Darucla
Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1543
Quote:
That means that ITV have less rights issues as people outside the UK won't be able to view it. (In the same way as no-one outside the UK ever has a Sky digibox

@digsatman Irony is the concept I think you were looking for.

jumbo
Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
digsatman wrote:
ITV2 can be received on a Sky HD box although it cannot be recorded as there is no EPG info available for it as this is exclusively broadcast by Freesat.
What's the reference to ITV2? I get that! It's ITV HD that I'd like to record.

The Technisat has similar operating modes to the Humax in its Freesat and the alternative Technisat (non-Freesat) choices. It also is (understandably) annoying in ignoring timers set in one mode when switching to the other. Another annoying "feature" is the inability to actually delete (or add) channels in Freesat mode (rather than mask them via a favourites view) in order to eliminate them from the EPG. I don't know if it is a Freesat "enforcement" or Technisat incompetence.